13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 2:05 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?

benferguson

Intel NUC6I5SYH, with 16GB of RAM, and SanDisk SD8SNAT-256G SSD is extremely slow. How can I speed it up? How do I know if I have a lemon?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, benferguson:

By slow, what do you mean? Could you please be more specific about that?

Could you please let me know the operating system installed? 

I have the same unit with Windows 10, 4GB of RAM and M500 SSD Crucial, but it works perfectly.

Regards,

Amy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
            AaronL2

I ran into something like this when I setup a NUC6i7KYK last night running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit with the exact same M.2 SSD (Sandisk SD8SNAT-256G, which is also on the list of drives that are confirmed to work with this NUC published by Intel).  Doing anything in Windows was extremely sluggish.  I ran Task Manager and saw that the read/write performance of the drive was 0 b/s.  So, something was off with how the M.2 SSD was being used.

I switched to a 180 GB Intel SSD that I had in another computer that I wasn't using.  In addition, this time, when I installed Windows 10 Professional 64-bit from DVD, I chose to install using UEFI instead of Legacy (under the F10 boot menu, there is an option to boot using UEFI and another to boot using Legacy, for the same DVD-ROM drive).  This also had the effect of setting up the drive as a UEFI boot option instead of a Legacy boot option, as could be seen in the BIOS setup screen under Boot.  After going this route, the system worked fine.

So, there are three possibilities that I can see:

-- There is some incompatibility between the Sandisk drive and the NUC

-- It is important to use UEFI instead of Legacy

-- Some combination of the two

Aaron

• 3. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
              benferguson

By slow, I mean that when selecting to open an application such as a web browser or selecting a menu item such as Windows Start|All Apps|Calculator, the delay is as much as 20 seconds per click, each step of the way. Although, it seems to speed up on second use. Even scrolling up and down in a window is incredibly slow. Large data transfers via USB are slow too, with 2GB taking over 1.5 hrs.

Hardware list:

Intel - NUC6I5SYH Core i5-6260U 1.8GHz

Kingston - 16GB DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) KVR21S15D8/16

SanDisk - SD8SNAT-256G SSD

OS: Windows 10, 64-bit, fresh install and all appropriate NUC drivers.

Is there a way to access the max. turbo frequency?

Would internet speed affect overall system performance?

What are the possible causes of the issues with this system?

Ben

Mesa, AZ

• 4. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                benferguson

I built this system for a retired friend of mine and I just did an Internet speed test and got: ping 29ms, download 6.98 Mbps, upload 0.73 Mbps

So his Internet download is about 1/10 as fast as the Internet at my house.

Could this cause his entire system to have poor performance?

Maybe I need to benchmark his system and get documented results?

Ben

Mesa, AZ

• 5. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                  benferguson

Using PassMark Performance test 8.0.

The PassMark rating for this computer is 2975.0 this is a complete result with all tests executed.

• 6. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                    Intel Corporation

AaronL2, thank you for your feedback, your post was very helpful.

Ben, is there any chance you can test the unit with a different hard drive? Is there any spare RAM stick you can test? Try updating your BIOS version to the latest, see here for the file Download BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A], and here for the recovery instructions BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC.

Like mentioned before, I have same unit and this behavior does not occur in my configuration.

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                      benferguson

I updated the BIOS to the latest (SYSKLi35.86A.0042) when I first received it. I will check for newer BIOS updates.

I have no spare SO-DIMM or SSD lying around. Is there a particular recommended 16GB SO-DIMM that I could try? Is there a particular recommended SSD that I could try?

Which of those two components are suspect, or most likely to be causing this issue?

I feel like this system should fly fast with a single stick of RAM and 256GB of SSD storage. This has to be a driver or BIOS fix, or maybe some odd hardware incompatibility.

Thanks,

Ben Ferguson

Mesa, AZ

• 8. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                        MarkDirac

I built this system for a retired friend of mine and I just did an Internet speed test and got: ping 29ms, download 6.98 Mbps, upload 0.73 Mbps

So his Internet download is about 1/10 as fast as the Internet at my house.

Could this cause his entire system to have poor performance?

No, this is not a cause.  7Mbps and 30ms is more than enough for all normal, typical, conventional internet uses, including the most demanding typical use, i.e. streaming, e.g. Netflix or Tidal.

• 9. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                          Intel Corporation

MarkDirac, thank you for helping, I must say that I agree with that, I don't think that is the problem.

Ben, well you can try with the same components I have in my NUC which they are; M500 SSD Solid State Drive | Product Info | Crucial.com and I have two sticks of http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21SE15S8_4.pdf. However, before further testing I believe that reinstalling the operating system is worth a try.

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                            AaronL2

Ben,

To elaborate, those are the exact same symptoms I observed, as I mentioned in my earlier post.  In addition, as I mentioned in my post, I used the exact same SSD as you are using and installed Windows 10 64-bit Professional onto this drive.  So, we encountered the exact same problem.

I also described how to deal with the situation.  As such, you have all the information you need to move past this issue.  The first thing you can do, as others have suggested, is reinstall Windows 10.  Make sure to reinstall using UEFI as opposed to a legacy boot option, as I already mentioned.  If that doesn't address the problem, the next option is to use another M.2 SSD, also as others have suggested.  Or, you can wait, hoping that Intel will address the problem with a BIOS fix... but you might wait a long time.

AaronL

• 11. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                              Intel Corporation

Hello, All: 

AaronL2, thank you for your help.

benferguson, I just wanted to check on your thread; were you able to try the suggestions we commented?

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

• 12. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                                benferguson

I've been away for a while and I need to update this thread.

Replacing the SanDisk SD8SNAT-256G-1122 Z400s M.2 2280 256GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

With the Intel 540s Series M.2 80mm 480GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDSCKKW480H6X1

Made all of the difference. Like night and day!

I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Because the SanDisk SSD impaired performance to a nearly unusable state, I recommend that it be placed on the incompatibly list.

Thank you so much.

Ben Ferguson

Mesa, AZ

• 13. Re: Intel NUC6I5SYH is extremely slow. How can I speed it up?
                                  Intel Corporation

Ben, thank you very much for coming back.

Those are great news, I am glad to hear that the NUC is working with new M.2, and just for you to know I am going to send your feedback for the proper department for review.

If you need further assistance let me know.

Regards,

Amy.