4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 6:39 PM by Intel Corporation

using galileo serial port

megalileo

Hi, may be i am going a silly question, but it may be a very-very meaningful question,

in galileo there seems five serial ports,

1. Serial port near LAN port (labelled GRN)---- used to access Linux terminal/console

2. client usb ------ used serial.begin, serial.println etc in arduino sketch

3. arduino header pins 0 and 1 (Rx, Tx) ------ digital pins

4. USB host

5. use any pins as serial (Rx, Tx) by using SoftwareSerial library just like we do in arduino board

so which ports, pins can be used as serial?, how to use them in arduino sketch, python, java, c++, XDA,

Win-IoT etc

I found a tutorial in which it was written we can use GRN port as serial by using Serial2 in arduino sketch (i.e., use Serial2.begin(), etc) and an another tutorial which says we can use USB host to read/write data in a pendrive by arduino sketch etc

I have not tried these yet

Pls help me exploring hardware and software serial ports in galileo

Pls reply soon

thanks in advance

thanks

• 1. Re: using galileo serial port
          FGT

Hi megalileo,

I wonder why you need to know all of those alternatives...

I've used mostly Arduino programming in Galileo and, as you already pointed out for each of them, you already know how to use almost all of them in/from Arduino sketches, so the list in

how to use them in arduino sketch, python, java, c++, XDA,

Win-IoT etc

should be "reduced" to "python, java, c++, XDA, Win-IoT etc"

I would like to know the references you have seen for

I found a tutorial in which it was written we can use GRN port as serial by using Serial2 in arduino sketch (i.e., use Serial2.begin(), etc)

and an another tutorial which says we can use USB host to read/write data in a pendrive by arduino sketch etc

I've not seen any tutorial/way of using the USB host, did you?

Fernando.

• 2. Re: using galileo serial port
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi megalileo,

There are no silly questions, please ask all you want, we will be glad to help you.
            If you want to use the Arduino IDE, you can use the SoftwareSerial library and the Serial library to use the pins as UART.
            For ptython, java, javascript and C/C++ you can use the MRAA library.
            https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa
            http://iotdk.intel.com/docs/master/mraa/

Please post the links of the tutorials you found so we could check them and give you our inputs. 

Regards,
            Charlie

• 3. Re: using galileo serial port
              megalileo

actually i forgot where I found these tutorials, because it was one year back.

Now I am actually exploring my galileo to discover the way to use all ports on-board,

pls can u tell me what is the command to listout all the serial ports (including USB etc all) in linux (galileo), like in windows we have device manager where we can have a list of all devices my machine has, ports, processors etc

this will help me to know howmany serial ports i have on-board and there names

thanks

• 4. Re: using galileo serial port
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

In Linux, you can find all the devices with the command ls /dev. 
                You can find all the documentation available for the Galileo board in: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/support/maker/galileo/galileo-documents-and-guides.html
                If you are planning to use some shields with the board, look at the Shield Testing Report there are some shields that have been tested so you could see the results of it

Regards,
                Charlie