14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 9:00 AM by Intel Corporation

low iops on s3710

ION

Hello.

I use an SSD DC S3710 Series 400GB drive, and have a problem with it's  IOpS. Its simply too low.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/ru/ru/it-managers/Intel-solid-state-drive-series-DC-S3710.html?wapkw=intel+ssd+dc+s3710+series

there is up to 85k on read and 45k on write on "4k, aligned, 32" test

but my SSD displays only 7500-8000 IOpS on read and 20-21k on write

iopsread.jpgiopswrite.jpg

I update a firmware on ssd using Intel SSD toolbox, with no results.

I need some halp with that.

Is my test setting are wrong, or i should do things, or i need to give some additional information?

• 1. Re: low iops on s3710
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

ION,

Have you setup the program using this performance guide?
          If not, please follow all the instructions, we will also check here to verify the settings.

Could you please provide the computer specs as well?

NC

• 2. Re: low iops on s3710
            ION

Actually not, coz i dont know about that instruction, but i did approximately what writed in it. I didnt erase that ssd and maybe i forgot something bout drivers update, but:

At first, i tested it on HP ProLiant  BL 460c G7 host, with 2x intel Xeon  E5645@2.4GHz (6c), 200GB RAM; where actually that ssd supposed to be.

Then i trying various configurations, including mounting via esxi, some low-spec domain machines(like intel dual-core, 2gb ram, some 20-dollars motherboard etc), and even my home PC (i7 5-gen; 16gb ram; GTX980, some another intel ssd)

And literally every tests give that result - 7600~200 iops on 4k random read and 20500~1000 iops on 4k random write.

How i going to directly forward ur instruction on my home pc - its quite similar to recommended system specs. What information i shold give you after it?

• 3. Re: low iops on s3710
              Intel Corporation

ION,

In this case when using the IOmeter, we need to have the same settings set as the ones in the link sent previously, this in order to properly get a result of the SSD. Remember you need to setup one for read and one for write with sequential read or write at 100%.

In the meantime we just need to know the operating system you are using and the computer brand or motherboard model.

NC

• 4. Re: low iops on s3710
                Intel Corporation

ION,

We are following up on this case and we would like to know if you require any further assistance.
                We will be waiting for your response.

NC

• 5. Re: low iops on s3710
                  ION

Sorry, its been a while.

And now i tested it on one of my home pc.
                  MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
                  AMD FX 8150 via 3800 Mhz
                  8 GB RAM
                  Geeforce GTX 970
                  some ssd as system disk, cheap 120 gb intel i suppose

Imma suppose that current config is not required coz i have tested my ssd on at least 4 machines with a wide difference in config, but still have just _same_ test results.

• 6. Re: low iops on s3710
                    Intel Corporation

ION,

Thanks for your response.
                    We would like to get the *.csv file that the program creates once it is done running the test, please copy it in the thread. (One for read and the other one for write)

The tests will vary depending on the configuration and it may be way different from the results advertized in the website. 

Please let us know if you can attach the information or we may find a different way to get it.

NC

• 7. Re: low iops on s3710
                      ION

hi again.

shame to me, i did not find a way to attach a file to that tread. so i just leave here some liks.

Yandex.Disk  - write

Yandex.Disk  - read

now i tested in on

win7x64 corporate

4gb ram

p8h61-mx

intel pentium G620@2.6GHz

integrated graph card

some hdd

• 8. Re: low iops on s3710
                        Intel Corporation

ION,

We would check the files provided and we will share our inputs. Please allow us some time, we will keep you posted.

NC

• 9. Re: low iops on s3710
                          Intel Corporation

ION,

We were checking the logs and we noticed the queue depth you used is 15, therefore the test is not going to give you the correct performance.
                          In this case we suggest you to change the queue depth to 32, which is the one recommend for each test.

Also, for random writes, you need to use four workers. For read you can only use one. Remember you can always double check the link we provided before in order to setup correctly the test. Link here

We will be waiting for your response.

NC

• 10. Re: low iops on s3710
                            ION

Hi again, really miss some things.

However, that changes result int 10% lowering iops on read and have no changes on write; see results here and here

Actually i trying test in on very various settings, and on random 4k tests there is no options (for me) that produce difference more than 10% iops or original results.

• 11. Re: low iops on s3710
                              Intel Corporation

ION,

Thanks for the quick reply.
                              We were reviewing the settings again and it seems the queue depth is still at 15, reason why it shows the same performance.
                              Please check this link on page 10, so you can verify where to put the queue depth at 32.

In case the situation continues, we recommend to get in contact with our support team, you can check this link to get further assistance on this.
                              Please let us know.

NC

• 12. Re: low iops on s3710
                                ION

I hardly can imagine that, but its true. My fail.

re-tested it. Still pretty  same and same results.

Actually, i prefer text messages. is there a way to email to support or kinda that?..

• 13. Re: low iops on s3710
                                  Intel Corporation

ION,

Actually yes, there is a way to contact our support for help using an e-mail address. Please use the following link for you to get further assistance with our support department.

Please let us know.

NC

• 14. Re: low iops on s3710
                                    Intel Corporation

ION,

We would like to know if you were able to get a response from our support department?
                                    Please let us know, we will be waiting for your response.

NC