9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 8:56 PM by Intel Corporation

Is there a difference for codec support between J1900 and J3710 for video playback under Windows 10?

TheProfessorY

I replaced a PC at home last week. The initial PC, let’s call it the working one, was based on the J1900 processor. The new one is based on the J3710.

I watch TV using the PC from a company called Sky. They are UK based, and stream their shows through a service called SkyGo. The underlying infrastructure is based on Microsoft’s Silverlight. I run Windows 10 64 bit for both PCs and the SkyGo is watched through IE11. I updated the drviers for both PCs to “the latest” – I don’t have the versions to hand but for the J1900 they were dated end of December 2015 and for the J3710 they are dated sometime in April, 2016.

What I noticed between the two PCs is that for some video formats that I play the video seems to stutter and for others it works fine. I tried a few Blu Ray discs and they show no issues. Same with some YouTube clips in both SD and HD. However, some streaming videos and especially SkyGo stutter and have poor quality, as though hardware acceleration is not being used and there is something amiss with the DirectShow filter chain. The problem is though I don’t know where to check on what the difference is. I downloaded a utility onto the J3710 called “DXVA Checker” where you can check certain codec / file formats and it will show you the filters that will be used. I noticed on the J3710 that some codecs like MPEG-2 or VC-1 don’t appear to be hardware accelerated but others like H264 do.

Do you know where I can start to check what the difference is between the J1900 installation and the J3710? I didn’t do anything special for the J1900 – it just works – so am wondering if there are some features removed from the J3710 that affect decoding for older codecs like MPEG-2 though hardware. I already was hit by the xHCI changes for Skylake when installing Windows.