1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 9:44 AM by katdav

NUC6i7KYK:  Display Sleep, Windows Shrink & Migrate to Upper-left Corner of Display

nuc-nuc

NUC6i7KYK experiencing the symptom of when the display goes to sleep, all my windows shrink to about 1024x768 and, upon waking, are all bunched-up in the upper left corner of the screen.  Here's what I've done to try to troubleshoot:

1. Install latest Intel graphics driver from here:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK - done.  At the time, the latest version was version 15.40.23.4444.  Problem persists.
      2. Search the internet for similar problems - found this:  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2459135/u28d590d-nvidia980-displayport-powersave-shrinking-windows.html - this involves editing the registry and forcing d70 (hex for 3440) and 5a0 (hex for 1440) values into PrimSurfSize.cx and PrimSurfSize.cy categories.  Seemed to work until Intel driver was updated to latest version (15.40.24.4454) then problem returned.
      3. In frustration, did a complete re-install of Windows 10 Pro (including all patches and SW stack) using only latest drivers installed via Microsoft.  Problem GONE, but graphics were a bit "glitchy" - forced to install Intel Graphics driver to resolve those problems.
      4. Installed latest Intel graphics driver (15.40.24.4454) and problem returned!  I did notice that, post install and reboot, the Intel graphics driver pops up a calibration window that appears to set some variable to...1024X768.  But, I cannot find where to change this, despite looking for several hours.
      5. Found this post on this forum (https://communities.intel.com/thread/63548) where NUC5I5RYH owners experienced the exact same thing, which was cured by an update to the Intel graphics driver.

System Configuration:

• Samsung 512GB 950 Pro (running latest firmware)
      • 2X16GB G.Skill 2800 MHz DDR4 (running @ 2400 MHz for now)
      • Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511, Build 10586.318 (fully updated and patched as of this AM)
      • Monitor LG 34UC97S (Ultrawide) attached via DP 1.2 (tried 2 different cables, both verified good on another system)
      • Graphics Driver:  Intel 20.19.15.4454 (most current as of this AM)

In addition, under Advanced Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> Monitor, my monitor shows up as "Generic PnP Monitor".  This is interesting because, while running just Windows 10, it properly showed up here as an LG 34UC97.  I just tried to re-install LG's monitor driver (which claimed success) and rebooted, but the monitor still shows up as Generic PnP Monitor.  Why this is interesting is Intel's HD Graphics Control Panel reports (correctly) that the selected display is a "Digital Display LG Ultrawide".  Thus, I've got conflicting information.

Please help - this is making me crazy, is a sinkhole for time, and forcing the display to remain awake is not especially power-efficient...

1 2 3 Previous Next