2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 10:03 AM by

Can a bad Core i7 940 processor (or poor placement in socket) cause memory to be lost?

Roger_Mac

I was running the above proc on a DX58SO mobo with 6 GB of DDR-3 RAM.  The Southbridge chip burnt out because a tech knocked the heat sink off of it.  There certainly could have been damage to the processor and/or the memory when this happened.

Processor and RAM moved to an ASUS P6T mobo (was available).  The system boots and I loaded windows but get too many Blue Screens.  I believe the system H/W is unstable.  The BIOS reports that there is only 4087 MBytes of RAM.  When I move the DIMMs around using them 2 at a time, all combinations of 2 result in 2037 MBytes recognized in the BIOS. (I am guessing that means the memory is all good or all bad.)  I also tried manually setting memory timing to match the Mushkin 991585 timing and set the voltage manually to 1.5V.  The timing changes resulted in a an overclock error.  (I then set things back where they were to start.)

Should I be worried about the processor?  Can a bad processor or a badly seated processor produce these symptoms?  Does anyone have any recommendations for things to test or try?

Thanks,

Roger_Mac

• 1. Re: Can a bad Core i7 940 processor (or poor placement in socket) cause memory to be lost?

I just purchased a Asus P6T MOBO, an i& 920, and a 6G Kingston memory kit (3x2), I can only get the BIOS to recognise available memory as 4087. The board specs state to populate A1, B1, and C1. It appears that A1 is not being recognized. I have tried all combination of chip placements, and same result so I am confident the memory is OK. I have seen numerous posts on various boards about this problem - there appear to be some 'fixes', but I have not found one the is clearly solving mine. Some claim a bent processor pin. Others, it is some other 'reason'. But I none so far fix my problem. I am considering retruning the MOBO and going with a different vendor. I am really at a loss as to what to do next.

• 2. Re: Can a bad Core i7 940 processor (or poor placement in socket) cause memory to be lost?

In my case, it turned out that the memory was not compatable with the ASUS mobo.

I installed the processor and the same memory and my i940 processor onto a new Intel DX58SO MOBO and everything worked great.

Good luck on your problem.