14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 7:58 PM by steppinwolf

Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?

steppinwolf

I have an Intel DP55KG running Windows 7 x64. Even after running INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV.exe (Chipset Device Software version 9.1.1.1025), driver update tools such as DriverMax report that my system drivers are out of date:

Intel DriverYour versionLatest version
      QuickPath Interconnect - D1516.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022
      5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 3B426.1.7600.163859.1.1.1013
      processor DMI - D1316.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022
      processor PCI Express Root Port 1 - D138      6.1.7600.16385  9.1.1.1022
      QuickPath Interconnect - D1506.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022
      processor Semaphore and Scratchpad Registers - D1566.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022
      5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 3B4A6.1.7600.163859.1.1.1013
      5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 - 3B4E6.1.7600.163859.1.1.1013
      5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 - 3B506.1.7600.163859.1.1.1013
      processor Miscellaneous Registers - D158 6.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022
      High Definition Audio Controller6.1.7600.163856.1.7600.16385
      82801 PCI Bridge - 244E6.1.7600.163857.0.1.1011
      P55 Express Chipset LPC Interface Controller - 3B026.1.7600.163859.1.1.1013
      5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B30 6.1.7600.163856.7.0.2
      processor System Management Registers - D1556.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022
      processor System Control and Status Registers - D1576.1.7600.163859.1.1.1022

I don't trust driver downloads from these tools because they don't show where the drivers come from. However, I am curious. Can  someone tell me where to find information about these newer drivers?

The Intel® Driver Update Utility is no help. It only returns information on 3 drivers: (1) Graphics Driver (says device is unknown or unsupported, because there is no integrated graphics chip on the DP55KG); (2) Audio Driver (which it reports as being current at 6.0.1.5964) and (3) "Wireless Networking" (says the device is unknown or unsupported, which is no surprise since I don't have a wireless card, but it displays version 11.5.10.0, which matches the driver I have installed for the Intel 82578DC integrated network interface for WIRED LANs). [Insert emoticon with rolling eyes.]

• 2. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
          fitec

Copy the inf file to a folder, create a shortcut on the desktop (properties: INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV.exe -OVERALL) and run this as administrator. Et voila, you're up to date.

• 3. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
            steppinwolf

MisterIT thanks for the response. As indicated above, I already have the INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV file from the same link you posted.

• 4. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
              steppinwolf

fitec, thanks for the tip. I needed to follow the readme file more carefully. I only build a system once every 3 to 4 years, so I'm a bit rusty. For other infrequent builders out there, the first step mentioned by fitec can be accomplished by creating and running a shortcut to the downloaded INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV.exe file with the -A parameter. For Win 7 x64 OS this extracts the necessary INF files to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\InfInst\Inf". Alternatively, you can use the -P parameter to specify a different location.

Next, the tip shared by fitec is to create another shortcut to INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV.exe with the -OVERALL parameter and run it. This worked for me and is much simpler than the instructions in section 9F of the readme file.

However, using this process updated all system drivers except for two:

Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B301.0.0.26.7.0.2

Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E6.1.7600.163857.0.1.1011

Any idea why these two were missed?

• 5. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                MisterIT

Presumably you can go into Device Manager, find device you want to update, select properties and then manually point to the directory with the INF file....

• 6. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                  steppinwolf

That's a good idea MisterIT. In Device Manager I pointed SMBus controller - 3B30 to ...\Inf\WIN7\ibexsmb.inf, but the Update Driver dialog returned with "The best driver for your device is already installed." Comment header inside ibexsmb.inf, says " Last Update: June 04, 2009 (Version 9.1.1 Build 1013)", but the specific DriverVer=06/04/2009, 1.0.0.0002 which is indeed the version I already have installed.

Same result with 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E. What version do you guys have installed? Maybe DriverMax is giving me incorrect information. Another reason I don't use those driver update utilities except for quick-n-dirty driver listing. On the other hand, I wish Intel's utility was as thorough at listing all drivers.

• 7. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                    MisterIT

I'm not using a P55 board, but if the board works, there may be no reason to worry too much about updating these - if it works... no need to fix it

• 8. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                      steppinwolf

As the cliche goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Always a good, basic rule of thumb. But of course technological advances would be extremely slow to non-existent in some cases if that were the only rule.

A rule of thumb for those who want to be a little more tech savvy is to check the release notes, not only for fixes, but also useful new features. Beyond that are early adopters and techno pioneers who are driven to understand, test and evaluate the latest creations of engineers and scientists. In fact, the relationship is symbiotic as techno geeks help drive and improve technical creations.

On a more practical note, if I see a red flag or missing information, I like to know why. That supports a more informed decision and might even allow me to help others. BTW, I work in the IT field too. (I'm guessing by your name that you work in IT. Am I right?)

P.S. My true motivation for wanting to make sure the P55 chipset is up to date, is I'm running an SSD RAID-1 array and plan to upgrade from MSM to RST drivers now that RST is official...

• 9. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                        MisterIT

Work is such a relative term these days LOL

Points well taken.  Of course, as I don't have the all the equiptment to test this on, my hope is to get people up-and-running

with the fewest problems.  Obviously you have more sophisticated desires/demands than merely having the

equiptment work.

Be that as it may, I am not sure that the change between driver revisions is equally incremental:

what diffferences exist between "new" and "old" driver versions- when they

get to a certain level of maturity, fixes are often less revolutionary or serious and more specific issue driven.

As such, you may not gain anything substantial from "new" drivers as the functionalty

may well remain the same except under specific conditions, such as a conflict with other drivers,

applications, malfunctioning features on certain chipset when other hardwqare is present, etc.

In terms of your question of P55 chipset drivers here is what I would do in your shoes:

Extract the relevant .inf files to a specific location (probably already done, right?)

Go to device manager, open the system devices, and update each of the Intel chipset

devices ...individually...  I have taken that approach in the past and found that 1

or 2 actually get replaced despite the msg that "you've already installed the latest driver"

for all the others.

Another idea: there could be a "conflict" between the Intel driver detection and "newer" drivers

obtained from, say, Microsoft update - which may be, in essential indentical, except for the

version label due to WHQL classification - making the detection program see it as in need of updating

when it really isn't going to do anything for your needs.

• 10. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                          Elizabeth

Hey, folks .. just as an fyi, the chipset INF does not install drivers. It might load a newer INF (information) file, which tells the OS what the device is (so it shows the correct name in Device Manager), but it is never installing drivers onto the system.

• 11. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                            steppinwolf

Elizabeth, I don't doubt your expertise, but that raises new questions. Are you saying the .cat files these INF files point to are not drivers? Why is the type for Chipset Device Software listed as "Drivers"? What are statements like "DriverVer=06/04/2009, 1.0.0.0002" refering to in the INF files?

Anyway, I appreciate all this wonderful feedback, but would trade it all for an answer to my question: Are these two devices at the latest official version, or more to the real goal, can I safely move on now to installing the latest BIOS and storage drivers? Thank you in advance!

Intel DeviceDriver Version
                            5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B301.0.0.2
                            82801 PCI Bridge - 244E6.1.7600.16385

• 12. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                              MisterIT

My guess is, in your case, that they make changes to already installed/existing drivers on a system such as

settings for a device, load order of associated system components, switching on/off of services, etc.

AFAIK they make changes to the registry; the .cab files may contain applets, .ocx files, Java components, etc.

which may or may not get installed depending on the system (inf files can contain info for a range of OSs)

And while they can involve new drivers, as we discussed earlier, they are not necessarily making any changes other than the name of the device

in Dev. Manager or a small change to an applet (look, behaviours, etc.)

Microsoft has some docs on them here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790220.aspx

• 13. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                                Elizabeth

I'd say yes, install away. Basic reason being, since the INF is not installing a driver, it is the same driver managing those devices before/after INF install.

The only driver I know of that manages those devices is the one included in Windows*. The INF tells the operating system what the device is; that way, if it doesn't recognize it, it then does - and knows what driver to use to manage it. It already knows what those devices are (if it didn't, they'd be listed as unknown), so all is well.

CAT files are different from driver files. They are the files that say whether the files have received a WHQL* logo (a testing/certification process for Windows*).

Very good question on "why is it marked as a driver"! It's one of those "that's how it's always been done" and I guess no one ever thought about whether that was confusing things. I'll look at it and see if there is another option/type that would make it much clearer. Thank you!

• 14. Re: Latest P55 Chipset Drivers?
                                  steppinwolf

Thanks. Always good to learn more about what's going on under the hood.