7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 10:00 AM by Roaming

Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE

Roaming

Dear software engineers,

First Question:

I am trying to integrate your latest toolchain (edison-sdk-macosx-ww25.5-15.zip) to Qapular IDE for OS X.

When I am trying to make a build and sign the project, I get an error caused by the impossibility to determine the minimal supported version of OS X.

I noticed that the error is caused because you don't have the following parameter LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOS in Load Command section at executable files.

As you can see in my screenshots Arduino toolchain build contains this property.

Can you please add this parameter to your next build configuration? This would be very helpful and much appreciated.

'-mmacosx-version-min=10.10'

It would also be very useful if you could provide short guidelines as to how to build my own toolchain SDK (What version of the yocto repository should be used? what layer for darwin based SDKs should I use?).

• 1. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
          Roaming

I see that current OS X toolchain is old ~ Aug 2015. My Idea is - if anybody can provides me more information about sources and  environment. I could try to build Intel Edison actual toolchain for OS X and publish it.

I see that there isn't possibility to build toolchain on OS X host directly (it is sun rice by hans). I need Linux host, OS X SDK and Yocto SDK with patches.

There is short instruction for meta-intel-edison (but it is step number 2):

meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform

Repository release:

http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.6.1/toolchain/i686/poky-eglibc-i686-core-image-sato-i586-toolchain-1.6.1.sh

But I think that branch must be `daisy`

That is configuration (It could be helpful):

Target: i586-poky-linux

Configured with: /jenkins_builder/workspace/EDSN_ToolChain-OSX/build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.8.2-r0/gcc-4.8.2/configure

--build=x86_64-linux

--host=i386-pokysdk-darwin

--target=i586-poky-linux

--prefix=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr

--exec_prefix=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr

--bindir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux

--sbindir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux

--libexecdir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux

--datadir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/share

--sysconfdir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/etc

--sharedstatedir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/com

--localstatedir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/var

--libdir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/lib/i586-poky-linux

--includedir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/include

--oldincludedir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/include

--infodir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/share/info

--mandir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/i386-pokysdk-darwin/usr/share/man

--disable-silent-rules

--disable-dependency-tracking

--with-libtool-sysroot=/jenkins_builder/workspace/EDSN_ToolChain-OSX/build/tmp/sysroots/i386-nativesdk-darwin-pokysdk-darwin

--enable-clocale=generic

--with-gnu-ld

--enable-shared

--enable-languages=c,c++

--enable-threads=posix

--enable-multilib

--enable-c99

--enable-long-long

--enable-symvers=gnu

--enable-libstdcxx-pch

--program-prefix=i586-poky-linux-

--without-local-prefix

--enable-target-optspace

--enable-lto

--enable-libssp

--disable-bootstrap

--disable-libmudflap

--with-system-zlib

--with-linker-hash-style=gnu

--enable-linker-build-id

--with-ppl=no

--with-cloog=no

--enable-checking=release

--enable-cheaders=c_global

--with-gxx-include-dir=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/core2-32-poky-linux/usr/include/c++

--with-build-time-tools=/jenkins_builder/workspace/EDSN_ToolChain-OSX/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/i586-poky-linux/bin

--with-sysroot=/opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/core2-32-poky-linux

--with-build-sysroot=/jenkins_builder/workspace/EDSN_ToolChain-OSX/build/tmp/sysroots/edison

--disable-libunwind-exceptions

--disable-libssp

--disable-libgomp

--disable-libmudflap

--with-mpfr=/jenkins_builder/workspace/EDSN_ToolChain-OSX/build/tmp/sysroots/i386-nativesdk-darwin-pokysdk-darwin

--with-mpc=/jenkins_builder/workspace/EDSN_ToolChain-OSX/build/tmp/sysroots/i386-nativesdk-darwin-pokysdk-darwin

--disable-nls

--enable-__cxa_atexit

--disable-nls

Any way, first step it is Linux development environment. If anybody has virtual machine disk, please tell me. It could really help to build new toolchain for OS X.

• 2. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Roaming,

Qapular is a third party tool that is not officially supported (The supported IDEs can be found in https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/software/ide). However they mention in their official website (http://qapular.com/) that they support Edison, therefore I suggest you to contact them in order to get a more accurate response. You can contact them in http://qapular.com/contact/.

Peter.

• 3. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
              Roaming

Dear Peter,  you didn't understand me correctly. I am Qapular IDE developer.

I am working on GUI IDE for OS X. The problem is:

- the current OS X toolchain for Edison is old;

- the current OS X toolchain for Edison is compiled without an important property.

My question is:

- will intel's engineers provide the newest toolchain?

- could they add the right OS X property?

- could they provide any guide on how to build OS X toolchain by myself?

• 4. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
                Farit

Can't you build the toolchain the way that is described in the Yocto documentation?

cd poky

source oe-init-build-env ../build_edison/

bitbake meta-toolchain

• 5. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Roaming,

Sorry I misunderstood you. I have sent you a private message, could you please check it?

Peter.

• 6. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
                    Roaming

Replied.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Integrate toolchain to OS X IDE
                      Roaming

I did it.

To build toolchain from the source:

1) iMac + VirtualBox + Ubuntu 15.04.

2) On Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git diffstat gawk chrpath texinfo libtool gcc-multilib screen

3) Sources and instructions:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/about/

4) 3 hours.

Done!