8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 7:08 AM by ilikerhinos

nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?

Gianluca_Cecchi

Hello,

it seems that on both latest CentOS 7.2 and Fedora 23 kernels the e1000e driver that drives the network adapter can only go at 100Mbps speed and not Gigabit.

Also tried with latest elrepo kernel module that contains a driver based on 3.3.3.

See further details inside ticked opened here:

0010957: e1000e driver on intel NUC6i5SYH only able to go at 100mbps - CentOS Bug Tracker

At nuc driver download page I see only drivers for windows, so no more place to see for:

Drivers & Software

I remember Intel and Intel engineers quite committed to Linux in the past and releasing specific drivers if not directly bundled in distros (such as for ixgbe ones and others).

I have bought this NUC6i5SYH to use it as a portable hypervisor based on oVirt (http://www.ovirt.org) and it is a pity that it can provide only 100mbps on Linux in spite of its capabilities.

Sincerely nowadays that 10gbps speeds are becoming common and 40gbps speeds are already in place inside datacenter is a kind of displeasure to see this low level performance for a commodity device.

Tried both with 0042 and 0044 bios updates with same results.

On the main product page specific Linux distributions are explicitly described as compatible:

Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I5SYH

there is a star aside of them, but it is not clear its meaning....

Thanks for your attention

Gianluca

• 1. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
          N.Scott.Pearson

The adapters work fine in Windows, so I would say that the problem is likely with the distro and/or the driver version that it includes. Despite this, I will mention it to the BIOS team at Intel. in the meantime, why don't you try some other (newer) distros (there are some that you can temporarily boot from USB flash disks) and see if the issue is with these particular distros (since Intel doesn't formally support Linux on the NUCs, I doubt they will be testing with these distros unless someone can demonstrate that the BIOS is the likely culprit).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
            Gianluca_Cecchi

Thanks for your answer.

I doubt there is a distro that is newer than Fedora 23, that is known to be bleeding edge with latest components in terms of kernel and drivers.

Keep in mind that the Linux driver for e1000e gigabit adapters is developed by Intel itself....

$ sudo modinfo e1000e | grep author

author:         Intel Corporation, <linux.nics@intel.com>

I tried with 3.2.6 and 3.3.3 Intel drivers and tomorrow I'm going to test also the 3.3.4 that has just been released on 20/5, by Intel itself as I wrote above; see:

Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCI-E* Gigabit Network Connections under Linux*

But I doubt it will work better than the previous ones, because it refers to it as "... I217/I218 controllers under Linux", while the adapter on the NUC6 is detected as I219-V

$ sudo  lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net | grep Ethernet

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I219-V [8086:1570] (rev 21)

Gianluca

• 3. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
              N.Scott.Pearson

As I said, I sent a query to some of the folks I know on the development team. We'll see if they have any reports of similar issues...

• 4. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
                ilikerhinos

Hello, please try this solution, as I've used it multiple times and works. I have a NUC6i5SYH, and tried numerous Linux distros, CentOS being one of the pickier ones.

For speeding up help, I presume you've double checked connections are indeed 1GB/s, including the cables (cat6 is the only one rated for 1GB/s while cat5e is 200MB/s, and the rest are lower).

After the above checks, check to see if you can attach gigabit controller to kernel. System - Administration - Add/Remove Software - Search: dkms

You'll see if repository has this available to you. If it does, continue with the onscreen steps to adding that to kernel. If not, continue.

Download your driver package here: Download Intel® Gigabit Network Connection Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

Direct DL: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25959/eng/LAN_Win7_64_20.7.1.exe

Download ndiswrapper: ndiswrapper download | SourceForge.net and unpack it.

System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager

In the search box type: ndiswrapper-utils (check the box next to it)

Click next. Type in the search box: ndisgtk (same thing will appear, check box next to it)

Click apply.

Both parts of ndiswrapper have downloaded and will install to computer, and automatic convert to Linux environment.

Locate LAN_Win7_64_20.7.1.exe and when you install it, ndiswrapper will convert the driver for Linux to understand.

Finished. Windows driver now converted to Linux, and this works on plenty of Linux distros.

*IMPORTANT*

DO NOT USE A BIOS UPDATER (.exe) AND CONVERT! HIGH CHANCE OF 'BRICKING' YOUR DEVICE. If you need to update the BIOS, flash it from within the BIOS off a USB.

Hope this helps!

• 5. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Just a comment regarding this last statement: Whether you initiate the BIOS update from within Windows (i.e. invoking a BIOS .EXE file), from within DOS (using .BIO file with iFlash2 utility) or from within BIOS itself (.BIO file via F7 key), the BIOS update process is performed identically: the .BIO file is placed in memory and the system is rebooted. The existing BIOS on the board will detect that there is a .BIO file image sitting in memory and will start its install. It's true that the Windows installation method does have a more involved process for retaining (in memory, without corruption) the .BIO file image across the shutdown process, but this DOES NOT mean that the .EXE method has any higher chance of bricking the BIOS. Why? Because the file has to be decompressed and decrypted and this is done after the reboot. The method that was used to place the .BIO file image in memory is completely out of the picture (over and done with) before the actual update process begins. Further, since the decompression and decryption processes are subject to record verification (like checksums but a lot more sophisticated) and, if this verification should fail, the file will be rejected (and the update process will be aborted), all methods are equal.

So, having said this, why do BIOSs brick? Well, the BIOS engineers will hate me for saying so (nothing new; I never gave them any peace), but it is bugs in the BIOS, plain and simple. It could be some unexpected upgrade interaction as a result of the combination of the existing BIOS and this new BIOS. It could be some unexpected interaction between the existing BIOS configuration file (which resides in the flash IC) and the expectations for this file (for example, position of parameters) in the new BIOS. It could simply be a new bug introduced with the new BIOS (and not caught in regression testing). I could go on and on and on. There are literally millions of lines of firmware code running on each and every system and there is the potential for bugs (yes, plural) in each and every line. Every BIOS release goes through literally thousands of hours of regression testing (that's why they don't come out that often) but things have their way of sneaking through the cracks...

...S

• 6. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
                    fugounashi

nuc6i5syh

bios 044

ubuntu 16.04

kernel 4.6.0

this is my kernel message:

e1000e: eno1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None

for linux on skylake you need kernel 4.6

• 7. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
                      Gianluca_Cecchi

So... much noise for nothing!

You are right when you stress to check cables/ports/switches..

I tried 3.3.4 driver and also 4.6.1 kernel provided by elrepo but I still had network at 100mbps.

So I directly connected the nuc with another linux pc with gb adapter and I saw speed change at 1gbps...

I went again at switch mgmt page and noticed that the page I thought was related to speed status, actually it was for speed setting... I misunderstood it;-(

So at the end I verified that with all kernels and drivers the speed was correct at 1gbps: 3.3.4, 3.2.5-k and the one provided by kernel 4.6.1.

At the end I reverted to the original latest official kernel for CentOS 7, that at time is 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64, with its own driver for e1000e (3.2.5-k) and all i good.

Sorry again and if you come near Milan and Pavia in Italy I owe you a beer ;-)

• 8. Re: nuc6i5syh only at 100mbps on linux?
                        ilikerhinos

Thanks for clearing that up. Always wondered how BIOS were actually updated. Feels like searching for bigfoot....