6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2010 1:24 PM by mechbob

Defrag registry?

acerzr2

I have an Intel 160Gb SSD. I know that I shouldn't run a defragment on it, but is it OK to defrag the registry?

• 1. Re: Defrag registry?
          MisterIT

Probably not necessary to defrag the registry - but it is not the same as defragging the hard drive, so if you would feel better about doing it, I don't think it would hurt like doing a file system defrag.  The registry files (hives) are pretty small compared to the size of the operating system.  Let us know if it speeds things up

• 2. Re: Defrag registry?
            acerzr2

Does anyone else have an opinion on this topic? Not that I don't trust you Mister IT, I would just like to have a few more opinions.

• 3. Re: Defrag registry?
              chrisjb

I dont think it would wear the SSD like defraging would, But I dont think you would gain any performance from doing a registry defrag on a SSD.

• 4. Re: Defrag registry?
                MisterIT

If you are using a specific tool, take a look at the support forums (if one exists) of the tool and ask them

there.  Let us know if you find an answer you are satisfied with, as I am sure someone will ask this again.

• 5. Re: Defrag registry?
                  ZXTT95

Defragging the registry should be equivalent to writing a few MB to the disk, so it has no specific affect on your SSD.  As to the value of doing this, like the other posters, I'm not sure.

• 6. Re: Defrag registry?
                    mechbob

I posted a similar question weeks ago and got all kinds of flack from the transistor heads, I use a program called Registry Mechanic and been using it for years . I contacted PC Tools the Mfg. And they said it was safe to defrag. the registry, just not the SSD.