Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

My Intel i7-2630QM Laptop is Malfunctioning

KKevi7
Beginner

Hello,

My Laptop is malfunctioning. It can't balance the fan use that's on the CPU.

What's happening: When I use my laptop normally, at a Max CPU usage set to 50% or lower, the fan kicks on everytime as soon as the CPU temperature is reaching 70 C, and goes quiet again when it hits roughly 60 C on at least one of the 4 cores.

However, when I increase the Max CPU usage to anything above 50%, the voltage is higher (I measure using HWINFO), from 0.7-0.8V to 1.2V, and it runs just fine. But, the fan doesn't kick on as it does at a lower CPU Max %, and so as a result, it goes all the way up to 90 C, even hit 100 C once, and obviously it just shut down to prevent any damage to the CPU.

Specs:

i7-2630QM 4 core 8 threads

GT 540M

4 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64 Bit (not activated)

Laptop Model # Packard Bell EasyNote TS11-HR-658NCD

Troubleshooting:

I've tried flashing BIOS from 1.1 to 1.21, no success solving this problem. I haven't tried anything else yet.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, LaptopHelpPlease:

I noticed that you did not get a response, and I want start by apologizing for that.

Please bear in mind that your processor does not support Windows® 10, it's possible that this issue is related to that fact. What was the previous operating system installed? Was the behavior the same as the one you are reporting on that operating system?

For further reference visit http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is your computer crashing?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/102740 LaptopHelpPlease:

I wanted to follow up your thread and see how everything is going with your system.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos