cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to atomatically monitor P3600 health in VMware

MRasz
New Contributor

Hello,

what is the best method to configure automatic health check monitoring and alerting for P3600 SSDs working under VMware vSphere (6.0).

To be precise - i want to receive an email to dedicated email account when something wrong was going on with my P3600 working under vSphere.

I presume that P3600 as Datacenter class product should have some methods of constant monitoring health and prediction of failures ?

This is extremely important as PCIe SSDs cannot be in any redundant config under VMware so its really single point of failure.

(besides of course host redundancy but i'am speaking as SMB where host redundancy was quite rare at least in my region, and Intel P3600 price/performance tag are incredibly tempting)

Are there any plugin to vcenter ? Maybe some way to configure via vmware alerts ? What about toolbox ?

p.s.

Please do not give advices that requires most expensive VMware Enterprise licenses - as i mention before we are SMB so VMware Essentials/Essentials Plus was our main area of interest.

thanks in advance for any solution at reasonable price 😉

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PNSRMPL,

Intel recommends to use the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool for this drive. There is a command line that you can use where you can find it here: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/ssd-software/Intel_SSD_D... Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Tool - User Guide pages 12 and 13. You are welcome to check it. In the meantime, we are going to look into that with more details in order to provide more information on this matter. We will advise you about this very soon.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PNSRMPL,

Thank you for your time. Unfortunately we don't have a monitoring system that can send an email or an alert. The only option available is through the tool provided previously and it has to be done manually. There might be third-party tools that can do that. We also recommend to contact VMWare for additional support on this matter.We are taking your suggestion our engineering department for analysis but, unfortunately we cannot precise when there will be an answer or if such feasture will be included. Please, let us know if you need anything else regarding this subject.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PNSRMPL,

It's been a while since we sent you our reply and so far there is no registration of any reply from you so we would like to know if you still need our help.

Regards,

Aleki