1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 10:17 AM by Intel Corporation

The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK

AIC

Hello, I have just bought a NUC6i7KYK and are trying to install a W7 64bit OS. I have tried to integrate the USB 3.0 drivers on the installation USB, with the Intel creation tool, the DISM GUI software and NT Lite without any success.

I have also used a USB Cable and connected it to the USB 2.0 internal header. Mouse and keyboard work perfecly during post but when the OS installation process starts it is just dead and I have no mouse and/or keyboard anymore. Legacy USB is checked in bios. Any suggestions how to solve this?

/Anders

• 1. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, AIC:

I would like to double check if you have encountered with the thread below, and tested the procedure recommended there.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/98277

Look forward to hearing from you and the outcome on this.

Regards,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
            AIC

Hello again,

The relevant link mentioned in the thread recommended is unfortunately dead. Still my question was how to ensure that when connecting to the USB 2.0 header that the USB port works also after post (during W7 installation).

Again, thanks for answering my question!

/Anders

• 3. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
              hegenious

They won't work. Despite the headers being USB2, you need the USB3 drivers working properly for the USB2 to work.

Reason: there is NO USB2 controller in the NUC6 and USB2 signal goes through the USB3 controller.

• 4. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                AIC

Ok, that is a straight answer! I would appreciate an updated version of the Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Tool that works for NUC6i7KYK. It would save me and a lot of people out there a lot of frustration.

Regards

Anders

• 5. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                  Intel Corporation

I have seen some other users that got this to work with the NTLite software, have you checked it again?

http://www.win-raid.com/t750f25-Guide-Integration-of-drivers-into-a-Win-image.html

Additionally, NUCs from previous generations have worked, as per customers advise, with the USB 2.0 header to port cables that are here: http://www.microsatacables.com/intel-nuc-products
                  You could give it a try.

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                    AIC

Regarding the NT Lite software, I have already tried it based on the instruction mentioned in your reply. I can´t get it to work!

About the internal USB 2.0 headers, I have already bought the Cable you are referring to from Microsatacables and tried it as well. It works perfectly during post but thereafter it is dead. A colleague of yours answered before (in this discussion, please see above) re the the usb 2.0 header that it needs the usb 3.0 controller to work so it is a dead end!

Again, can we please have a revised version of the Windows 7 USB 3.0 CReator tool that works for NUC6i7KYK!?

Obviously earlier versions (generation 5) does not seem to have the same problem. I have also tried it on a NUC6i3SYH and it does not work for that machibe either.

Regards

/Anders

• 7. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                      Intel Corporation

Ok I understand AIC, thank you for letting me know that, let me further investigate into this (in regards to the USB 3.0 creator tool)

I will keep you guys posted on this.

Regards,
                      Esteban C

• 8. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                        un1b4ll

Hi Anders, if you haven't resolved this yet I'm happy to catch you up to at lease where I'm at in the process, which unfortunately isn't complete success just yet.

As you found, the USB creator tool injects USB3 drivers into the installer, but not the actual copy of Windows itself. To do that you'll need to inject the drivers into the boot.wim and the install.wim. (There's plenty of guides on how to do this so I won't go into it here) However, if you have the same issue that I did, you'll find that the extracted contents of Intel's provided USB 3 drivers have permission errors that prevent them from properly injecting into the install.wim, and give you an error. I was able to get past this by clearing these issues using: How to bulk unblock files in Windows 7 or Server 2008 | Nicholas Rogoff's Blog and after that they injected fine, and the installation then had USB3 and I was able to create the user and log in.

At this point I'm running into an issue of the USB C port not working and an unidentified USB controller in Device manager. When I run the intel's installer for USB 3, the installer fails and I lose all USB functionality and have to restore from an image or reinstall windows.

I find the claim that Windows 7 is supported on these machines to be pretty far fetched, seeing as how I've basically had to build a custom version of Windows just to get it to run, and even after that, Intel's own USB 3 drivers are causing the machine to lose all USB input and require a reinstall.

• 9. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                          Intel Corporation

Thank you for your input on this un1b4ll, Intel is alway looking for inprovement in their products, for that reason this is being investigated in order to get it fixed.

As soon as I get an update on this, I will let you know.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                            AIC

un1b4ll,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences! Now I understand why I get error messages when trying to do the install. The drivers are not signed or authenticated as they should be. This has happened to me when using the creator utility as is and when I have used the new drivers. The same error messages has also occured when I have tried to use the DISM GUI and NT Lite. My guess is that the drivers are injected into install.Wim as well but they do not install in W7 OS. It is possible to get passed these error messages during installation but then....

Also, thanks to Esteban C for looking into the matter! We hope it will be solved soon.

Regards

Anders

• 11. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you for your input on this matter AIC, I would like to check, are you getting some sort of error or indication saying that drivers are not signed or authenticated? That would be to add that fact to the investigation and further assist you on this.

If you found out about that because of other reason, please let me know which if applicable.

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                                AIC

Hello again Esteban C,

I receive an error code 0x80070015 followed by a text saying "the requested files could not be installed". This happens both when I use the Windows 7 USB 3.0 creator utility as is and when I have replaced the drivers included in the utility software with the latest drivers for USB 3.0 (......51). I also receive this error code when I have tried to use DISM GUI and Nt Lite to inject the drivers. Saying this I would also like to inform you about that I always have used a fresh copy of the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installation on a usb stick.

Still hoping for a new utility that works.

Regards

Anders

• 13. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                                  Intel Corporation

Really appreciate your addings on this matter AIC, I will be taking this into consideration for the current investigation.

Will keep you updated.

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

• 14. Re: The USB 2.0 header on NUC6i7KYK
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Over the past couple of months, I have had to prod my way through the installation of the USB 3.0 drivers a number of times. There is definitely some black magic involved. Here are my pearls of wisdom (such as they are):

• If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I don't understand why it happens (I said black magic was involved), but the DISM operations will fail on some PCs. Whether you do the DISM commands yourself or you use the USB 3.0 utility (which runs the DISM commands in the background - and yes, they are the exact same set of commands the various sites tell you to run yourself), they CAN fail. My remedy has been to switch to a different PC (usually one that I have not done any DISM commands on before) and run the operation again. It works. Persevere.

• In a previous posting of mine, I explained how to insert the newer (4.0.4.51) USB 3.0 drivers into the USB 3.0 utility's folder structure so that it would install the newer version instead (of 4.0.0.36). Here's where it gets bizarre. When setting up my SY, it didn't work until I had an image with the 4.0.4.51 drivers inserted. When setting up my KY, however, this same image would not work. I found that I needed an image with the older 4.0.0.36 drivers installed - and using the original version of the utility would not work; I had to invoke the DISM commands myself (though this may have been because of the failing DISM commands issue mentioned above).

I really would like to see a Microsoft expert explain why (or under what circumstances) this DISM stuff fails the way it does...

...S

1 2 Previous Next