2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 7:57 PM by Intel Corporation

Skull Canyon NUC problems when my SDL/OpenGL app changes refresh rate....

ovcollyer

So I just put together one of these new NUCs with a Samsung 950 PRO M.2 and Kingston 2133 2x8GB Impact DDR4 Ram.

I updated the BIOS right away (it went from 33 to 34), installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, installed all the latest drivers from the Intel site (found manually as I've never had any success in the past with the awful Driver Update Utility!) and updated Windows.

It's all looking good except for one thing.

I have written a video streaming app using SDL2 and this has worked on various PCs including an Intel NUC 54250WYK and Gigabyte Brix Pro i7. The issue I describe below is only happening on this new Skull Canyon PC.

My app is a full-screen OpenGL app; the issue is when it changes the refresh rate from 50 to 59 or vice versa, something gets messed up whereby nothing appears on the screen. Just blackness. Audio works, but no video, no UI, it's as if the OpenGL context has disappeared. Actually it hasn't, because I discovered that if I alt tab to the desktop and then back to the app it recovers and the code does not do anything to deal with a lost OpenGL context. So I'm guessing it must be some kind of driver issue?

Anyway I have found a workaround and that was to issue an SDL call to switch out of full screen mode and immediately back into full screen mode again. This apparently kicks things into gear and the new refresh rate then works. The calls seem to work quickly enough that you don't get to see the desktop so it's a reasonable solution for now.

But this needs fixing, especially if it turns out to be a generic issue affecting many OpenGL apps that might change refresh rate.

On the plus side, it's a neat little machine, good job!