8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 10:32 AM by maslow

How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh

maslow

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how I can connect an analog to digital audio converter (A2DC) to my NUC5i3ryh, in order to record/archive my old musical collection from my audio cassettes and reel tapes?

My reel tape deck, audio cassette deck and amplifier are all analog with line in/out RCA, so I have to use a analog to digital converter to be able to record it on the pc/NUC.

The A2DC's I find on the internet have toslink or coax optical output, the NUC has mini HDMI ( the audio jack is not the thing to use for this job)

Anyone knows how to connect the two? Thanks Maslow

example on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Wiistar-Optical-Coaxial-Digital-Converter/dp/B012CJ5MGS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464731958&sr=1-5&keywords=a2d+converter

• 1. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
          PeeBee

Hi, take a look at this Behringer UFO202 U-phono USB Audio Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments it uses the USB to connect.  I use it successfully with my NUC6i5 and Audacity,

PeeBee

• 2. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
            maslow

Thank you PeeBee,

Looking for converters I came across this one, but did not recognize it as a converter. Also with usb 1.1 I abandoned it to look for HDMI.

Since you even use it on a NUC6i5 I immediately ordered one here in France. There are some 240 albums I would like to digitize and re-listen since 2006 and for € 33 is worth a try.

Maslow

• 3. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, All:

PeeBee, thank you for your feedback.

maslow, let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
                Intel Corporation

maslow, were you able to test the converter?

Let me know your findings.

Regards,
                Amy.

• 5. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
                  maslow

Bonjour Amy,

Just got back from my holidays and saw your question; I did not forget you though.

Since summer has arrived, I do not have a lot of time to play around with my music, but the things I can tell you are these ( from before holidays);

- the little box works good

- it is easy to connect with my sansui amplifier and my nuc

- the dell soundbar on my monitor sounds awful

- people on the internet say to listen back to the music via headphones

- go to behringer and download manual and asio4all driver for the ufo202

- go to sourceforge to download audacity to handle the digitization of your music

- search on the internet on how to digitalize your old music from cassette etc. with audacity

This is the thing that already cost me a lot of time and will do so even more in the future. It's always the software that you have to try to master. The hardware is so straight forward and easy to manage.

So, it's not the costs in this case, but the time and perseverance that counts.

I know it will keep me busy for months to get the hang of it, and ... I am looking forward to my victory!

So .. success Amy

Regards,

Maslow

• 6. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
                    N.Scott.Pearson

I have digitized close to 50 albums using a similar device. I have at least 100 more to do (sigh!). No choice for some of them; they are not available on CD. Anyway, I found that each album, which average ~45 minutes in length, takes me ~3 hours to digitize. This includes time for recording, level setting, trimming and hiss/pop/click clean up (I use MAGIX's Audio Cleaning Lab application for this; it works really, really well).

My (unfortunately, aging) stereo system includes a top-of-the-line (in its day) JVC manual turntable with Stanton and Shure cartridges and I use this primarily. The USB capture device came with 25' shielded cables, which allowed me to semi-permanently connect the stereo system and my main PC (even though in different rooms) without any perceptible audio quality loss. I was gifted one of those "Quick Play" USB turntables, but found its quality to not be up to snuff (you get what you pay for; this is a US$40 cheapo).

...S

• 7. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
                      Intel Corporation

maslow, thank you for coming back with your outcome.

I am glad to hear that, hope you can enjoy your music. 

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: How to connect a AD audio converter to NUC5i3ryh
                        maslow

Hello PeeBee,

Audacity does not seem to like or understand my NUC, or... I do not know how to configure Audacity, or .... etc.

I have looked everywhere on the internet, trying to understand things, or testing with other audio-software but no luck.

Since you wrote that you also use the UFO202 together with your NUC, I am very interested in your Audacity setup.

Here is what I am using all together:

1 NUC5i3RYH

2 Realtek 7.1

3 Windows 10 Pro (the latest audio and usb drivers)

4 Audacity 2.1.2

5 DELL U2515H (I disabled the soundbar that was optional, so as to work with less variables for Audacity)

6 JVC TD-WE91 stereo double cassette deck, as replacement for my Sansui cassette deck that died on me)

7 Behringer UFO202

The only setup I can use in Audacity is with some microphone recording device (see images attached) the stereo audio mixer from Realtek does not perform when it is setup as the standard recording device.

Does Audacity behave the same way with your NUC?

Maybe you can share some tips and or tricks with me?

Maslow