Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

I have Intel HD 4000 graphics card. I have 3 monitors connected by VGA x 1 and Display Port x 2 but my 3rd monitor won't connect

JShan9
Beginner

Hi I have been using dual monitors but have just purchased a 3rd, connecting it into a display port on my PC.

I have 1 monitor connected to a VGA port and 2 monitors connected to 2 Display Ports.

I have tested all cables individually in different ports etc and all monitors and cables work fine for two screens but when I plug in a 3rd the 3rd can't be detected.

My PC recognises the 3rd monitor but when I go to Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution it doesn't detect the 3rd monitor.

Likewise when I press Ctrl Alt F12 to open the Intel Graphics Control Panel and select multiple displays it doesn't detect a 3rd monitor.

Can anyone help me understand why my 3rd monitor can't be detected (even though Windows can see all 3) and what I need to do to get the 3rd working so I can have windows open on 3 different monitors, thanks, Jamie

I have visited Intel Configuration 3 Displays FAQ which seems to suggest that 2 x Display Ports and 1 x VGA port should work fine as per below:

View information for the Intel® HD Graphics 4000/2500 of 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Intel HD Graphics of Intel® Pentium® Processors 2000/G2000/G2100 series, and Intel® HD Graphics of Intel® Celeron® Processors 1000/G1000 series

In most cases, three independent displays are supported in the following configurations:

• If two of the displays are DisplayPort* monitors
  • If one of the displays is an Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi)
  • If the built-in display is an Embedded DisplayPort1 (eDP)
View a comprehensive table of supported configurations and notesIn most cases, three independent displays are supported in the following configurations:Active Display 1Active Display 2Active Display 3DisplayPort*DisplayPortHDMI* or DVI or VGA or DisplayPort or Built-in Display2DisplayPort or HDMI or DVI or VGADisplayPort or HDMI or DVI or VGABuilt-in Display3DisplayPort or HDMI or DVI or VGA or Built-in Display2DisplayPort or HDMI or DVI or VGAIntel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi)1 To check if your computer's built-in display uses an embedded DisplayPort (eDP) or LVDS connector type: From the Windows* desktop, press Ctrl Alt F12 key combination. If prompted selectAdvanced Mode application mode. Select Options and Support, change System Information to Built-in Display. Check the Connector Type field.2 Built-in display uses connector types: eDP off the chipset or LVDS.3 Built-in display uses eDP off a mobile processor.

How to enable three independent displays?What do I do if I cannot get three independent displays to work?What is the maximum resolution supported in three independent displays configuration?Why are very few resolutions listed in Intel® Graphics Control Panel when the display can support more resolutions in three display configuration?Why does the computer not set resolution of 2560x1600, 1920x1200 and 1920x1200 in a three display configuration on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Intel® Pentium® Processors 2000/G2000/G2100 series, and Intel® Celeron® Processors 1000/G1000 series?Is a passive dongle supported in three display configurations?Is an active dongle supported in three display configurations?What is the maximum resolution supported when using dongles?Why do resolutions differ when the monitors are connected in 3-display configurations?Why is 1920 x 1200 resolution not shown in a 3-display configuration on the second and third monitors on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Intel® Pentium® Processors 2000/G2000/G2100 series, and Intel® Celeron® Processors 1000/G1000 series?If Intel® Wireless Display or Intel® WiDi is one of the connected displays in a multi-display configuration, can four displays be active simultaneously?In a three display configuration, is it possible to set two displays in clone and one in extended display configuration?Are three display configurations supported using a USB display?Is Blu-ray* disc playback or Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology (stereoscopic 3D or S3D) playback supported in triple display clone mode?How many audio streams do Intel® Core™ Processors support in multiple display configurations?Can Microsoft Windows P keys be used to switch displays in three display configurations?Why does one of the external monitors in my three display configuration go undetected by Intel® Graphics Control Panel?Related topicshttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005580.html Multiple Displays frequently asked questionshttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005599.html How to enable extended desktop modehttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005752.html How to enable clone modehttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005596.html How to open the Intel® Graphics Control Panel

<div class="component" data-component="mtDisclaimer" data-component-id="...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi JamieShark,

In regards to narrow down the issue I need to know the current processor and motherboard model of your computer. If it is possible, please send me the results of Intel® System Support Utility.

Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi JamieShark,

I am following up on your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Raffa
Beginner

I am having this same issue. Were you ever able to figure out how to fix this? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have answered you elsewhere. As was explained, this a limitation of the Dell design.

...S

0 Kudos