8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 11:46 AM by Intel Corporation

How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?

josephg

I need to connect a Bluetooth keyboard/keypad combo, as my current wireless keyboard/keypad combo does not function consistently, unless it is always pointed at the NUC, and that is not practical.  I assume that I need to acquire some hardware accessory to install in/on the NUC, but I do not know what that accessory would be.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
          jasonNUC

Hi josephg,

What wifi card do you have in your NUC now?  Many of the cards include bluetooth by default.

Jason

• 2. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
            josephg

Hi Jason,  Thank you for the quick reply.  To my knowledge, I do not currently have a wifi card installed in my NUC.  My NUC currently uses a wired connection to connect with my network.  I believe that may be the piece that I am missing, but I do not know what wifi card I should be looking to install.  Thanks for any advice that you may be able to provide to me.  Joe

• 3. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
              jasonNUC

Hi Josephg,

The first thing is to verify you don't already have one. You can look in Device Manager (I'm assuming you're running Windows) in the section for Network Adapters. You can also open the case and look.

If you want an internal card, you install it in the mini PCIe slot underneath the mSATA slot:

intel-nuc-wifi-645x483.jpg

It needs to be a half height card. There are dozens of models from, Intel and other companies, that you can pick from, and the price ranges from $7 USD to over $30 USD.  Just be sure to choose one that includes bluetooth. Be very careful when installing, as the antenna cables are tiny and fragile.

Or, you can just go with a USB dongle.  If all you want is bluetooth, you can search for "bluetooth usb dongle" and you'll find a ton. If you want wifi and bluetooth, search for that and again you'll have plenty to choose from. 

Question: what type of keyboard/mouse are you using?  There are known issues with some wireless keyboards/mice because of interfereng with NUC's tiny metal case.  You might try a USB extension to see if that fixes it.

I hope this helps!

• 4. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
                josephg

Hi Jason,  Thank you for your quick reply and recommendations.  I checked in Device Manager (I'm running Windows 10), and the only device listed under Network Adapters is my gigabyte LAN adapter.  As such, I can confirm that I do not currently have a wireless adapter installed.  Further, I do not currently foresee a need to install wireless capability in the NUC, since it already connects to my existing wireless router through an Ethernet connection.

It appears that your suggestion to consider purchasing a Bluetooth USB dongle may make the most sense for my keyboard need application, if I am going to go the Bluetooth route for keyboard/keypad combo connectivity.  I will look into those dongles.

I currently have a Logitech K400 keyboard/keypad combo, and I am using a USB extension that is approximately 2 inches long.  Would it make sense to try a USB extender cable and move the Logitech wireless sensor dongle completely away from the NUC case?

Thanks,

Joe

• 5. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
                  jasonNUC

Hi Joe,

I would suggest trying a longer extension. You shouldn't need line of site for the K400, and it could be interference. I had a similar setup and was frustrated hangs and dropped letters until I attached the dongle to an extension cable (about 2 feet). Others reported the short extensions (like you have) helped, but it didn't for me. I found I had to get the dongle about a foot away from the NUC before things started working normally.

Good luck!

Jason

• 6. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
                    josephg

Hi Jason, 

Thank you for the 2ft USB cable extension advice.  Very much appreciated.  I now have a temporary setup using a 25 ft USB extension that I had available, with the dongle about 18 inches away from the NUC, and the Logitech keyboard performance and consistency has dramatically improved.  I'll test it over the next few days to ensure that it meets my minimum requirements for non-frustrating performance, and if it does, I will purchase a shorter USB extension cable.  If, for some reason, that should fail to meet my needs, I will resort to the Bluetooth keyboard/keypad combo with a Bluetooth dongle option that you suggested.

Thank you so much for your assistance and sage advice.  Very much appreciated.

Joe

• 8. Re: How do I achieve Bluetooth connectivity on my Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH?
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi jasonNUC,

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
                      Mike C