8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 2:25 PM by Intel Corporation

USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!

Turtl

I PREFER to run Windows 7.  I see Windows 7 drivers on the Intel NUC site, but NO USB port works in 7!

USB Keyboard and mouse work IN BIOS.  But when I plug in my Windows 7 Installation USB stick, it gets to the initial Windows setup screen but USB keyboard and mouse ARE DEAD.  As it goes through the boot screens, right before the "Install Windows" screen comes up, the screen turns black, it disables all USB.  All lights turn off on keyboard and mouse, then the Install Windows screen comes on but you can't do anything!!

I plugged in an M.2 SSD that already had a Windows 7 install on it.  I was going to perform a fresh install.   With the Sandisk USB stick I was using mMst times, BIOS would IGNORE BOOT ORDER, so it booted into the old Windows 7 install. 

USB KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ARE DEAD in that Win 7 installation too!

If i plug in my Windows 10 installation disk, the keyboard and mouse work PERFECTLY!

I have never heard of USB keyboard and mouse NOT working in Windows 7!!!  I tried all ports!

I updated to newest BIOS just before writing this.

Does Skull Canyon NUC support USB in Windows 7 or not?  If NOT, why are there Windows 7 drivers available for download?  This is SO FRUSTRATING!  I prefer Windows 7!

P.S. I am now using a newer Sandisk Cruser that always boots, but the problem is the same.  JUST before the "Install Windows" screen comes up, IT KILLS ALL USB PORTS!  Maybe even the port that the USB stick is in.   don't know.. Cause the keyboard and mouse DON'T WORK!

• 1. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
          Turtl

I have tried both UEFI and Legacy boot options.  When I had UEFI only checked, the system locked up before it even got to the "Install Windows" screen!

• 2. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Turtl,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

This is expected behavior because Windows 7 does not have integrated USB 3.0 driver only the USB 2.0.

Try following the steps at the following link to install Windows 7 with USB 3.0 ports

http://www.pixelstech.net/article/1419908117-Install-Windows-7-with-USB-3-0-ports-only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd37BJwTxiM

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Ivan

• 3. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
              Turtl

Thank you for responding on a holiday.  The NUC blogger guy sent me similar links.  The actual Microsoft automated program that slipstreams the USB drivers to the stick did not work. I found a version by Gigabyte that did work.  (And I also followed the steps in the first link you sent).

BUT, while keyboard and mouse are now active on the first setup screen, and file copy is fine, after the second automated reboot, its lights out AGAIN.  Dead Keyboard and mouse, but now at the Setup Windows / name your computer screen. 

How do the USB drivers work on the first screen, but not at continuation of setup after reboot?

I tried to manually load USB drivers at the hard disk partition screen, but the drivers I downloaded from the Intel NUC site fail to install at that screen.

I might buy a USB header to USB cable.  Where are the USB headers on the NUC?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
                Intel Corporation
                Try the Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility, some customers reported that they haven’t been able to successfully install Windows 7 with this unit using this tool but I was able to do it. Before installing the operating system follow the steps to use the 3.0 creator utility here:
                URL Security Zones Cause USB Keyboard and Mouse to Fail During Windows 7* Setup

Regards,

Ivan

• 5. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
                  Intel Corporation

Hi,

I’m just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved with the information provided above or if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan

• 6. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
                    Sailor23M

I have the same issue, windows 7 does not have the drivers. I have downloaded the above tool and loaded the drivers on the boot USB. The installation is proceeding and the keyboard and mouse are not dead so far. Happy to report that I have installed win 7. Now have to download the Skull Canyon Drivers and switch the Bios back to default settings.

• 7. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
                      N.Scott.Pearson

I realize that this is the natural result of folks being new to the issue long after the fact, but this has been asked and answered ad nauseum. Please refer to the previous postings and the plethora of web pages explaining the process(es) necessary.

That said, I have to say something else: it amazes me what people will complain about - and, in many cases, unjustly blame it on Intel.

First, let's start with USB 3.0. USB 3.0 did not exist when Windows 7 was released. Further, USB 3.0 did not exist when Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 was released (well, actually it did, but Microsoft chose not to support it; they wanted it as a "selling feature" for Windows 8+). As a result, of course you are going to have to jump through hoops to get it installed and working. Intel released a package to do the insertion for you, but there is an issue with the DISM tool (which is out of Intel's control) that can cause the package to immediately (or eventually) fail - and then seemingly permanently. It is a pain in "le cul", but folks who want to use Windows 7 on the NUCs are going to have to bite the bullet and do the DISM commands manually to prepare their installation image. What issue am I talking about? The DISM Update-WIM command may fail and require some manual intervention to correct.

Next, let's talk about NVMe. The concept of NVMe did not exist when Windows 7 was released. In fact, it was still an unimplemented idea when Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 was released. As a result, of course you are going to have to do something special to get them to work. Some manufacturers chose to provide drivers that can be loaded during the Windows 7 installation process. Good on them. Others, like Intel, chose to say that Windows 7 is dead and do not provide a driver (you can't blame Intel for this issue in general, but you certainly can for this stance). And then there's Microsoft, who, for some unfathomable reason (considering their stated priorities), chose to back-port their driver to Windows 7 and make it available (but they made it darned difficult to use).

While I am still up on the pulpit, I *have* to say something about UEFI. From the standpoint of its concept and the implementation, I think that Intel did a great job - but then it all went to pot when it became an industry standard (and Intel wasn't as in-control anymore). In a word, the issue is FUD. Without an owner policing things, the totally outrageous (and often totally ridiculous) (slimy marketing) claims of various ODMs, OEMs and ISVs has heaped confusion on top of confusion and spawned compatibility issues right and left. My favorite? The ODM who claimed in 60-point bold that they were the first to ship UEFI because they were the first to ship a graphical BIOS setup program - and, by inference, that the two were inexorably tied together. Good on them for actually delivering a graphical BIOS setup program (it pushed the industry), but most of this claim was complete and utter hogwash. First, you don't need UEFI to have a graphical BIOS Setup program (a legacy BIOS could support it just as easily). Second, at that point, Intel had already been shipping UEFI-enabled BIOSs for a couple of years (though it was just called EFI then). All you can do is sigh and move on...

My bottom line statement is that, if you want to use Windows 7, you are going to have to educate yourself and do the hard work to get there. If you don't want to do the hard work, Microsoft's spyware - oops, I means Windows 10 - is your alternative...

Ok, off my pulpit. Sorry for the rant. These opinions are my own. In some cases, well, don't shoot the messenger...

...S

• 8. Re: USB does NOT work Skull Canyon NUC Win 7!
                        Intel Corporation

I’m glad that you have Windows®7 up and running Sailor23M .

I agreed with N. Scott Pearson and this is not consider an Intel issue, Windows®7 does not come with USB3.0 like Windows®8, 8.1 and Windows®10 but at least customers can do some work around to install Windows®7.

Best wishes,

Ivan.