12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 5:56 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)

Spartan012

I was able to successfully get through the Windows 7 installation process,but whenever I attempt to boot into windows I reach a blue screen error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The error message is as follows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage

to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,

restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow

these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed

hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive

to make s is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then

restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
          jamespetts

Are you able to boot into Linux using a USB boot drive?

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Spartan012,

I would need to collect more information about your system before given to you a suggestion.

Let me know the current BIOS version of the NUC, model and speed of the memory (RAM), amount of M.2 SSDs.

Please tell me how you installed the operating system on the NUC.

Regards,
            Mike C

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
              Spartan012

Hi Mike,

Bios version: 0034

Ram: Crucial Technology 32GB DDR4, 2133MT/s

SSD: Patriot Ignite (x1)

I installed the Operating system using a Bytecc USB 3.0 to NGFF (M.2) SSD Enclosure and a tool called "WintoUSB". I think this may be the problem. The reason I used this method is because after I updated the USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 7 I was able to get through the initial installation fine. On the first boot when I had to configure settings however, I was again no longer able to use a mouse or keyboard on the USB 3.0 slots, but when installing as though it was a usb from a different computer the installation and first boot were fine. Actually I was able to successfully boot from usb ports on several other pc's, but when I tried to boot on the Skull Canyon  NUC I ran into the issue from my earlier post.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                orkey

Same here, started to install Windows 7 enterprise from USB flash drive. But win7 does not support usb3 natively.

So added the drivers to the boot image. Also the preboot drivers for the nvme storage. Got keyboard and mouse and storage working.

Within five minutes windows 7 was installed ;-) But after that on the first screen no keyboard and mouse control anymore....

So in order to get the drivers to work after the preboot they have to be included elsewhere to, imho.

I still and use to be senior sysadmin back then for a company of around a hundred workstation, laptops and so on. Now working for a smaller company.

Back in the day's windows xp we 'sysprepped' images specific for the hardware and software needs. So this would be also possible for Win7.

IT wise, to enjoy the full extent of the Skull Canyon modern hardware, it needs an updated and not an outdated operating system.

So I decided to install Windows 10 pro instead. It has much better memory handeling etc. Installs without a hassle.

Bought a license for a round € 50,-- that is not much added up to the total cost. It saves a lot of time and frustration

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                  ilikerhinos

Easy Windows 7 install on ANY NUC?

Try my guide. Windows 7 on multiple NUC's. All working so far.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                    hegenious

@orkey wrote "So added the drivers to the boot image"

If by that you mean the boot.wim, you perhaps forgot to add these USB3 drivers to the install.wim as well?

Taking into consideration that your initial windows image may hold several different versions of the OS, so you'll have to determine and choose the right index number, or add the drivers to all versions present in the index.

Good luck.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                      orkey

Yes I did. Found a tutorial to add the usb3 drivers. But it did not mention to put them in the install.wim as well. Only the boot part.

I am not stuck to win 7, win10 etc. Linux is also fine with me. Eventually the skull will be running esxi with thunderbolt 3 connected storage.

It was merely a try out, a setup to benchmark it.

Thanx for filling in the missing parts.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                        Intel Corporation

Hi All,

Intel recommends to follow below workaround.

Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility
                        https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Mike C

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                          orkey

This workaround will partly help to install windows 7. Until, after install,  the first window appears where you have to fill in some fields.

Then you notice that the mouse and keyboard are not working anymore.

Because this workaround is not adding the drivers to the install part as well, mentioned here before.

Also needed in most cases, the drivers for the storage. If they are not natively supported by win7. For example nvme storage drivers.

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                            un1b4ll

I'm at this point- I've added the drivers to boot.wim, but am unable to do so at install.wim because of error: Installing x of x - c:\wim\USB\iusb3xhc.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed.

I've added every file that the inf could be referencing but it still fails to add to the install.wim. I'm at a loss here.

I guess I could try ilikerhinos'sguide- that's going to take a lot of time and effort. I wish I was just able to simply inject the drivers into the install.wim like I am with the boot.wim. Really not understanding this problem.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                              orkey

Me to. A lot of people still want to use windows 7 on modern hardware without the technical time consuming hassle.

But there is no simple solution so it seems . Windows 10 will work out of the box, yeh duh would we say in Dutch. But not everyone wants use the latest windows version. For lots of reasons.

This USB3 win7 driver thing seems to go on for months and months on this forum.

what more is there to say.....

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK boot failure (Windows 7)
                                Intel Corporation

Hi All,

I understand your frustration; however, Windows 7 was released before USB 3.0 technology. It is necessary to make some changes to the bootable drive before the installation.

Mike C