Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Using the HD 530 through another GPU

NNema
Beginner

I want to use my HD 530 from the i5-6500 but my monitor only has VGA and I cannot connect it to the motherboard. I got a temporary Saphire AMD Radeon HD 6750 and the monitor is hooked up to it,for now. While this does work I was really looking forward to playing the new Need for Speed , and when I tested it with another monitor it worked, but the AMD card I have is not supported.

What I want to know is :

a) ( preferred option ) Can I use both GPUs in a SLI (Dont know if this is the correct term for a Intel/AMD setup) ?

b) Having the HD 530 as the working GPU and the HD 6750 being the one the monitor is hooked up to, basically using the VGA output on it and not the GPU it self.

Setup:

Intel i5-6500

Asus Z170-P D3

16gb Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb (2x8GB)

Saphire AMD Radeon HD 6750

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Regarding question a)

SLI is a feature from NVIDIA where to equal GPUs share their work, AMD calls it Crossfire

Mixing GPUs is called "explicit multi-adapter rendering", so far i have seen only some tech demos - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2015/04/30/directx-12-multiadapter-lighting-up-dormant-silicon-and-making-it-work-for-you/ DirectX 12 Multiadapter: Lighting up dormant silicon and making it work for you | DirectX Developer Blog

Unfortunately i have no idea how to solve your actual problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Cmokenzi:

After doing my research on this, the possible option that I found was to use Hybrid graphics on Windows 10*, but as per the requirements, the system that you have does not apply to be used with this feature from Microsoft.

Here the requirements: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn932812(v=vs.85).aspx https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn932812(v=vs.85).aspx

The requirement that is not met: The dGPU must be equal or higher performance than the iGPU

You can double check this with Microsoft as well, they could have an option for you, but I cannot assure that, just advising this to you in order to get possibly more detailed information on how Hybrid graphics work.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
NNema
Beginner

Thank you for replying and sorry for a late response. Could you please explain the sentences :

"Both GPUs must implement the standard allocation type added to the KM and associated UM DDIs to support cross adapter shared surfaces."necessary

Unfortunately it seems that this dGPU doesnt support WDDM 2.0 either. Only the 7000 series cards or newer cards support it. That's a shame. Thank you once again for taking the time to look into my somewhat specific case.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

@ Cmokenzi

KM = kernel mode

UM = user mode

DDI = device driver interface

0 Kudos
NNema
Beginner

Alright, now if you could explain what they meant with that sentence ? A lot of this is new to me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, peers:

In regards to bullet 5 from Description in the link provided before, "Both GPUs must implement the standard allocation type added to the KM and associated UM DDIs to support cross adapter shared surfaces.", this can be interpreted as, both GPUs are required to have an user interface that allows the proper communitcation between the OS/user.

"...standard allocation type added to the KM...", the Kernel Mode (kernel si related to OS interpreting instructions send by the CPU) having the standard type to control the system added to it.

"...and associated UM DDIs to support cross adapter shared surfaces..." the KM associated to the User Interfase to control the behavior of both GPUs.

Hope this provides you with a clearer understanding of that sentence.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNema
Beginner

Its much clearer now. Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is great to hear that Cmokenzi!

I would like to set one of my answers as "Correct Answer" to finish up with this case, hope you don't mind.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNema
Beginner

I don't mind it at all. Hope you have a good day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for that Cmokenzi, hope you have a great day too.

If you require any further support or inquiries, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNema
Beginner

Thank you for replying and sorry for a late reply.

0 Kudos