8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 12:32 PM by Intel Corporation

Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK

Scott_T

Intel NUC6i7KYK with clean install of Windows 10 v1511
      Drivers all installed by Intel Driver update utility 2.5...
      Includingncluding Installing Thunderbolt software package version 15.3.39.250
      Attach AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro with two WD hard drives install.
      Happiness!
      Buy second AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro, and install two WD hard drives.
      Attach and authorize as second device in thunderbolt chain. Drives not mounted, Sadness.
      Remove first T3DP (we'll call him '0N) and attach only second T3DP (we'll call him '12);
      Authorize device and achieve drive recognition, yay.

Attach '0N as second device and authorize, no mounting of disks, even after reboot and drive swap.
        Check Akitio support site, Aha! Firmware updates!
      Download and install firmware released 16 days ago on each device, NVM 18 & PD 1.07.06.
      start again.
      '12 recognized as first device and drives mounted while
      '0N as second device, passes through DP and monitor works, but drives not mounted.
      OR
      '0N recognized as first device and drives mounted while
      '12 as second device, passes through DP and monitor works, but drives not mounted.

What's up with the second Thunderbolt device in a chain on a NUC6i7KYK?

• 1. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Scott_T,

I suggest you to check the RAID mode you have configured the two, AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro.
          https://www.akitio.com/desktop-storage/thunder3-duo-pro
          Could you please provide the model of the Hard Drives you are using?

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
            Scott_T

Tested with pairs and mixes of the following HDD and SSD:

WD Green WD20NPVX

WD Green WD20EADS

WD Black WD4003FZEX

WD Red   WD60EFRX

SanDisk SDSSDXP-240G

When matched pairs installed, tested with RAID 0, RAID 1.
            With mixed pairs, tested with SPAN and Non-RAID.

Always the FIRST thunderbolt device authorized mounts, the SECOND does not.

Swapped order of the drive bays.

Again the FIRST thunderbolt device authorized mounts the drives, the SECOND does not.

• 3. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
              Intel Corporation

Hi Scott_T,

I apologize for the time it took for giving you an answer.
              Please let me investigate more about the compatibility of this configuration with the Intel® NUC6i7KYK.
              Also, let’s see if someone in the community is having the same issue.

Regards,
              Hellen.

• 4. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
                Scott_T

It gives a really bad impression when the community forums say open up a support ticket.
                And the support engineer says post to the community forums.

6/6/2016 5:00 AMI would recommend to post a new comment to the original forum. I also going to let the agent in charge to check on your caseSergio
                • 5. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Scott_T,

I apologize for that inconvenience, that most be a misunderstanding. In regards of that, could you please let me know the way you prefer the support?

Going back to the investigation I am doing, I will need a picture of the setup you have.
                  Could you please send me a picture of one of the ends of your thunderbolt cable, from both sides?  
                  I suggest you also to check on this link RAID setup procedure for Intel® NUC6i7KYK
                  https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000021493.html

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
                    Scott_T

I would like to receive support. I don't care how.
                    I would like a response a little faster than once a week.
                    My support case [number: 01038525] was opened on 5/27/16 and has yet to have a response or even a note.
                    Now, that case references here, and this references there; so that whom ever looks into this has all the details.

If you were to go to the product page for the AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro you would see that each, and I have two, comes with a 40GB/s Thunderbolt 3 cable. { A $25 value! }
                    In my narrative I describe that I connect both devices and with the Thunderbolt Software authorize both devices, thus implying but not explicitly stating, that I am using the correct Thunderbolt 3 cables to connect the storage enclosures.
                    As I also mention swapping the hard drives around, and swapping the series on enclosures, I tested the operation of both Thunderbolt 3 cables.
                    Yes, each cable on one side of both ends has the trademarked lightning bolt and the Arabic numeral 3.
                    Each cable operates correctly when placed between the NUC and either enclosure.

Yes I have some USB Type-C cables, for my USB 3.1 Gen 2 device, but these are not in use here.

{ Hey, where are the USB 3.1 Gen 2 hubs? }

When the second enclosure is connected in series, the Display Port signal is passed through to the device and can be spit off to drive the third of four monitors that the NUC can deliver video to.

But the drives are not recognized nor are they mounted, while the operation of the monitor would seem to indicate that the Thunderbolt signal is passing through the enclosure.
                    For those trying to count to four: DisplayPort, HDMI, DP over/through Thunderbolt 3, and WiDi.

Thanks for the link to the RAID instructions.
                    Setting up RAID (if that was what I wanted to do) is not possible until after the drives are mounted or available to the OS.
                    Here, I have a running Windows operating system with the latest Intel software and drivers.
                    Oh look! During the time that my case has been open Intel has published another updated version of the Thunderbolt software.
                    You should have pointed me to that, except that it didn't change anything, even after I installed it and all the other updated drivers.

So now I'm running 16.1.47.275 for the Software Package.

So latest BIOS. Almost latest BIOS. .34
                    Latest OS, with all the updates. (hint, that's what I do)
                    Latest Drivers
                    Latest FIRMWARE on enclosures.
                    Compliant cables.

When authorized by the Thunderbolt software:

Both enclosures work and mount drives in position 1.
                    Neither enclosure mounts drives when in position 2.

• 7. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
                      Scott_T

Install the latest BIOS (35) and Reboot.
                      Watch all the drives populate after Authorizing!

Even plug in a USB 3.1 Gen 2 down stream of the second Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.

Success!

I want to say thank you to all the Intel Support personnel that contributed answers to this problem.

• 8. Re: Second Thunderbolt 3 device not properly recognized off of NUC6i7KYK
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Scott_T,

Great to know that the 0035 BIOS version helps you, and the thunderbolt™ daisy chain recognized your second AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro.
                        Attach is a picture of the New Fixes/features of this version.

Fixes.PNG

Regards,
                        Hellen.