1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 9:29 AM by cvare

Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016

Docwiz

All the latest drivers and BIOS has been installed (Current 5/25/2016). Bios is the latest version at 44.  I leave it on all day and night and when I try to connect to it, I can't because it's locked up.  It seems to be good for a couple of days and then lock up randomly.  16 GB Ripjaws DDR4-2133 and Samsung 950 PRO 256 Gigabyte M.2 NVM Express.  Help!  Nothing seems to solve this issue.  It just keeps freezing while doing nothing in the background. Brand new install, not an upgrade or anything.

1) Memory has had many hours and hours of exhaustive tests with NO ERRORS.  100 percent error free. Memtest 86+ (Latest version for DDR-4) & Windows 10 Memory tester showed zero errors.

2) Windows Event Logs have nothing useful.

3) I am using WiFi to connect with it, but even if I use it directly local it still will freeze at random times.

4) No fan settings have been touched in the bios.  Only made a few changes for the graphics memory, fast boot has been enabled, legacy boot is not checked.

5) I have power cycled the NUC as well as left it unplugged and it simply does not matter

6) Bios is .44 like I mentioned, but this has been happening since I bought it back in January.  It happens often and randomly,

it can go a couple of days without doing it, although we had a couple of hot days and that could have locked it up (not sure about this, could be just a coincidence.

Has Intel said anything about this problem?  It's a serious problem and nothing seems to solve the random freezes.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
          cwizardtx

You probably don't have spare M.2 drives just laying around, but if you happen to.... try another drive.  I have had real issues with Samsung products failing on me in the past, but no issues with Crucial MX series drives.  This isn't intended to be a permanent solution, but a troubleshooting step if you have the drive to support it.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
            N.Scott.Pearson

I would also be monitoring system temperatures to see if the system is running hot. Best tool for doing so, IMHO, is AIDA64 (they have 30 free trial); it better understands the hardware than most other tools (which misidentify the sensors available). If the system is running too hot, I have seen some M.2 SSDs stop responding completely (making system hang). By hot, I am talking the SSD temperatures going into to 80's or higher...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
              wagi_ch

I have the exact same problem... Only it doesn't take a few days to lock up but a few hours - I mostly watch videos on it and VLC Player seems to have a knack of forcing a freeze, the Windows 10 Player takes longer but it also happens just sitting at the desktop.

Temps are all completely in order (I also ran a few days with the fan manually set to 100% in BIOS, no change in behaviour really), I even did a stresstest to see if it was temperature-related: it worked flawlessly for the 30 minutes or so I let the test run only to freeze a few minutes after the test ended...

There is nothing in the event log or anywere - it just freezes. After a restart it sometimes even manages to freeze in the middle of the boot cycle.

I'm running Crucial RAM (2x 8 GB) but the same Samsung 950 SSD. I held out hope for a new BIOS since 0028 (0044 installed now), but I'm _really_ getting fed up with it and am on the brink of RMAing.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                Docwiz

Yeah, I don't have extra M.2 drives laying around.  That is right.  However, I am trying to find a pattern.  It locks up while I am at work,

so I never know what happens to it.  It's becoming very annoying and I haven't been able to find a pattern for it.

Has Intel chimed in about this?  If not is there any way we can force their hand? 

I bought mine late January and I can't have it keep locking up.  I bought it as a small dev server that I can

run a couple of VM's on it and I need them to be on and have it not freeze on me while I attempt to connect to it. 

I paid a lot for all of this and I feel that I haven't been able to get my monies worth because of the lockups.

I thought a BIOS update would fix it, but nope.  Still happening on 44.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                  Docwiz

N. Scott Pearson wrote:

I would also be monitoring system temperatures to see if the system is running hot. Best tool for doing so, IMHO, is AIDA64 (they have 30 free trial); it better understands the hardware than most other tools (which misidentify the sensors available). If the system is running too hot, I have seen some M.2 SSDs stop responding completely (making system hang). By hot, I am talking the SSD temperatures going into to 80's or higher...

Hope this helps,

...S

Yes, I will try this and see what happens.  Is there anyway I can leave feedback for Intel directly and get in touch with someone high up in the department that over sees that NUCs?

• 6. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Nope. Your path to providing feedback is via Intel Customer Support. They will escalate it up the chain where appropriate. As a former (I am retired) member of the NUC development team, I see and communicate with current members of the team on a regular basis and I do pass on constructive input.

So, when you say it is locking up, what exactly do you mean? What is (and isn't) happening? Are you talking about the case where system sits idle for some amount of time (and going to sleep) and does not seem to wake up from this? If so, you can avoid this by disabling sleep. I have always done this and I have seen no hangs, no freezes nor any crashes (I am running WY, RY, SY, KY and GY NUCs currently).

...S

• 7. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                      wagi_ch

In my case what is happening is exactly that: it freezes. The image that was displayed on the monitor is frozen and displayed indefinitely (windows settings to "turn off display after ... minutes" don't affect it) and it doesn't react to any input, even the NUMLOCK toggle on the keyboard doesn't respond (LED on corded keyboard stays lit).

The only way to get ouf of this state is to hold the power button until it shuts down or to pull the power plug. After booting it back up it is as if it's never happened - no corruption, no errors (well apart from the "Windows didn't shut down properly" entry in the event log, but that gets generated on boot), nothing.

This can happen just sitting idle on the desktop, or browsing the web, but it seems to occur more often when playing video. When powering back up after a freeze, I've also seen it hang on the lockscreen or even in the middle of booting (spinning balls just stop).

@docwiz: I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, I hope you don't mind...

What happens if you play an h.264 video in VLC? This might help you reproduce the freezes if it behaves the same as mine

• 8. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                        Docwiz

N. Scott Pearson wrote:

Nope. Your path to providing feedback is via Intel Customer Support. They will escalate it up the chain where appropriate. As a former (I am retired) member of the NUC development team, I see and communicate with current members of the team on a regular basis and I do pass on constructive input.

So, when you say it is locking up, what exactly do you mean? What is (and isn't) happening? Are you talking about the case where system sits idle for some amount of time (and going to sleep) and does not seem to wake up from this? If so, you can avoid this by disabling sleep. I have always done this and I have seen no hangs, no freezes nor any crashes (I am running WY, RY, SY, KY and GY NUCs currently).

...S

I thought I explained this already and it's not that hard to understand.   Sorry, but when you work in I.T., freezing is pretty simple and basic and I explained what was happening.

NOTE:  Sleep has been disabled.  I don't allow the system to go into any sleep or low powered mode, this has all been disabled.  NIC port, WiFi, Screen, Storage

(The NUC Is a plugged in system and doesn't need to be in low powered mode)

I have a wired keyboard and a wired mouse and nothing works.  The system will completely freeze WITH NOTHING RUNNING.  Even on a cool day.

Yesterday it froze up while I was clearing some "TEMP" Files out from my C:\Windows\TEMP\ folder and nothing was in memory at the time.

You need to try the Intel NUC6i5SYH NUC with the Samsung 950 Pro (256 GB) M.2 SSD which is an NVME Drive and see if it can be duplicated.

The fact that I was clearing files when this happened at the same time makes me think there is some incompatibility with that drive.

I am telling you, there is a problem and there needs to be some troubleshooting that happens to eliminate it.

As another example... I leave my NUC on daily and it locked up at the windows 10 lock screen.  No keyboard or mouse functions would work.

Nothing would work.  I would unplug them and plug them back in.  They are both wired, they don't need batteries and the entire machine was

useless and just completely stopped working.

I had to hold in the power button and turn the NUC back on for it to work.  There is an issue here and it's being ignored.

Has the Samsung 950 Pro been thoroughly tested with the NUC6i5SYH?  What about GSKILL DDR-4 RAM?  No errors, but something is causing it to lock up randomly.

I just thought it might have been the SSD as I was clearing files at the time.

• 9. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                          Docwiz

wagi_ch wrote:

In my case what is happening is exactly that: it freezes. The image that was displayed on the monitor is frozen and displayed indefinitely (windows settings to "turn off display after ... minutes" don't affect it) and it doesn't react to any input, even the NUMLOCK toggle on the keyboard doesn't respond (LED on corded keyboard stays lit).

The only way to get ouf of this state is to hold the power button until it shuts down or to pull the power plug. After booting it back up it is as if it's never happened - no corruption, no errors (well apart from the "Windows didn't shut down properly" entry in the event log, but that gets generated on boot), nothing.

This can happen just sitting idle on the desktop, or browsing the web, but it seems to occur more often when playing video. When powering back up after a freeze, I've also seen it hang on the lockscreen or even in the middle of booting (spinning balls just stop).

@docwiz: I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, I hope you don't mind...

What happens if you play an h.264 video in VLC? This might help you reproduce the freezes if it behaves the same as mine

It's fine.  No worries.  I just want to get to the issue, that's all.  I paid $730 for all of this and I would like it to work the way it's supposed to work.

• 10. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                            RobbieF

Some good points above re: the SSD.

I have a very similar system; 6i5SYH + 16GB Hyperx + 512GB 950 NVME; Win10 Pro; latest bios (44) & drivers.

Been running for about a month now with (apart from solved DP cable problems) no faults at all.

Runs cool and reliable.

Now I can't be certain that this may be relevant BUT both Docwiz and wagi_ch, are you both aware that the RAM you are using is NOT on the Intel NUC list of tested memory?

See: System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i3SY/NUC6i5SY

Also a list of tested memory on the 6i3 by CMTL here: CMTL > Search > Tested Motherboard > Results

That's not to say that the SSD is not at fault in both your cases; there may well be a problem there BUT I personally would be thinking RAM.

Despite tests within Windows (Memtest etc.), whilst your ram itself MAY be okay it might just not be "liked" by the NUC; there have been lots of posts about NUC's being fussy regarding RAM.

• 11. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                              wagi_ch

I just checked with the RAM compatibility list at System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i3SY/NUC6i5SY . The RAM i'm using (CMSO16GX4M2A2133C15) is the kit-of-2 variant of the CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15 which is on the list as "parts that passed testing during development", so this should be verified and known-good actually.

• 12. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                                RobbieF

Ah, so not the Crucial RAM you posted originally then?

In which case the options suggested earlier still apply, together with ruling out the options which could cause faults.

• 13. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYH Randomly Freezes - Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) Has latest updates to Bios/Drivers/OS as of 05/25/2016
                                  wagi_ch

Ah damn, well, at least it starts with C anyway - thats why you shouldn't post from memory and verify...

I've managed to get my hands on a Samsung 850 EVO, it'll be interesting to see how it runs with it.

1 2 3 Previous Next