8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2016 8:28 AM by SWUtah

USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?

wipi

Hi,

I've just started to use an M3 compute stick - amazing performance.

However, I've tried to connect a 2.2Amp USB-A phone charger (supposedly same capacity as the original, rather large charger) with a USB-A to USB-C cable. The stick actually starts booting, but then quickly stops working.

Is it not getting enough power (i.e. I would need an even stronger charger) or will it only work with the original equipment?

Thanks for feedback, regards

Willy

• 1. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
          Naviara

At least your stick is booting, so there is no reason why it should not work. I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, and support told me that it should work, but you have to use a power supply that match the stick requirements. The original is a 20W power supply (5V / 4A) - I assume 1A is used by the integrated HUB, so a minimum of 3A might do the job.

I also use a custom power supply with 3A and a USB adapter on the older stick generation in high performance mode, wich works very well. Soon I will get my new stick with the core m5, I will test if that will also work.

greetings,

Sebastian

• 2. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
            wipi

Thanks Sebastian,

that supports my hope that it should work.

The original supply spec actually mentions 2.2A / 5V on the C plug, so I thought a similarly spec'ed (but much smaller) USB-A supply would work. The stick actually just started booting, then died, so it seems to work in principle, but as you mention, a 3A/5V is needed to carry it through the loads.

I hope I can report success with that setup.

Regards

Willy

• 3. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
              Naviara

Hi Willy,

please report back if this worked for you :-)

greetings,

Sebastian

• 4. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
                KJ

Hi Willy,

The power adapter bundled with the compute stick is required for stable operation. Using other power adapters may effect the systems stability which we have seen in the past. Refer technical product specification, page 24 for details.

Below is the note from Technical Product Specification

The supplied power adapter and cable is required to power the Intel Compute Stick. Powering the Intel Compute Stick using any other power source is not supported.

Regards...Karthi

• 5. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
                  wipi

Hi Karthi,

thank you for the infos. I understand that Intel cannot guarantee the stick to work with any other equipment.

Nevertheless, after finally getting hold of a USB-A charger with 3.4Amps capacity and a USB-A to -C cable, I've used this setup for a longer period now and it works just fine. That makes for a considerably lighter travel package.

Also, just replacing the rather bulky original USB-C to -C cable with a lighter 3.1 capable version works well.

Now, my satisfaction with the stick is complete-:) It really runs great.

Best regards

Willy

• 6. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

Thanks Karthi for the help with this case, also Wipi thanks for the information it can help more customers. 

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
                      Naviara

Hello fellow compute sticker ;-)

I can also confirm that a custom 5V / 3A power supply (in my case a Basic converter from 12V to 5V) also works very fine with the BLKSTK2MV64CC model !

greetings,

Sebastian

• 8. Re: USB-A charger with STK2M3W64CC stick - possible?
                        SWUtah

Which aftermarket PS did you use?  I have the m5 version & don't really need the bulk & 2 USB ports on the factory PS & would like to use an aftermarket PS.