6 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 12:26 AM by BenKissBox

Network port for arduino IDE?

bjkellett

Anyway to set up a network port for the Arduino IDE for Galileo, like the arduino YUN?

Bruce

• 1. Re: Network port for arduino IDE?
          FGT

Hi Bruce,

I don't know about Arduino Yun, but you can find some hints on the Galileo Ethernet port from an Arduino IDE at

Galileo 1 Connection Through Ethernet Cable

Do not hesitate asking if you need any thing else. Remember that Galileo Ethernet is not an Arduino shield.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Network port for arduino IDE?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Bruce, 

Take a look at the examples available on the Arduino IDE, File > Examples > Ethernet. I think it will help you with this.

Regards,
            Charlie

• 3. Re: Network port for arduino IDE?
              FGT

Take a look at the examples available on the Arduino IDE, File > Examples > Ethernet. I think it will help you with this.

Well... take care on this... sometimes it depends on the IDE version you are using. Up to 1.6.0 I found many examples that did not work or had non-useful or misleading information/behavior, that's why I created the Galileo 1 Connection Through Ethernet Cable thread, actually. Newer versions of the IDE do not necessarilly include the best examples/information, either. The last IDE version I downloaded, 1.6.7 (which is not the last version currently available), for example, has

File > Examples > Ethernet (Galileo)

i.e. Ethernet examples specifically designed/adapted to Galileo, AFAIK... Well... those have at least some misleading information... for example, in WebServer.ino you can find

#include <SPI.h>

#include <Ethernet.h>

even when SPI has no relationship with Galileo Ethernet. Maybe the example works (I didn't check) but you may conclude from the

#include <SPI.h>

that the SPI port is used for Ethernet (just as it is used in Ardhuino Ethernet shields). However, Galileo SPI port does not have any relationship with Ethernet hardware. Actually, I'm using SPI in one of my applications for RF communications, and the same application is using Ethernet for TCP/IP communication (More examples > ftinetti - Real-Time & Embedded Systems > Intel Galileo - Arduino Car - YouTube).

My point is: maybe those examples work (mostly those explicitly adapted for Intel Galileo in newer Arduino IDEs) but I think you should proceed with caution.

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Network port for arduino IDE?
                bjkellett

What I'm trying to ask, is if its possible to compile and upload from the Arduino IDE through a network port, as opposed to a connection through the USB client.  Clearly, one can connect with telnet and operate remotely, and upload python, C++, what ever.   With the Arduino YUN in the Arduino IDE under tools, the internet address of the YUN is visible under the port tab.

Also, while I'm asking, has anyone, configured a Galileo server with FLASK.  Maybe this should be an other thread.

Bruce

• 5. Re: Network port for arduino IDE?
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Bruce,

No, you need to use the USB port to upload sketches through the Arduino IDE.

Regarding FLASK, take a look at the following threads, I think they will be very useful:
                  https://communities.intel.com/message/269426#269426
                  https://communities.intel.com/message/386946#386946
                  https://communities.intel.com/message/377345#377345

Regards,
                  Charlie

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Network port for arduino IDE?
                    BenKissBox

Hi bjkellet,

on the Galileos, you can follow two different ways :

• the "pure" Arduino : this will use the Ethernet object from Arduino world and your sketch is normally able to run on any Arduino fitted with an Ethernet board
                    • the Galileo way : use directly the Posix API from Linux, available in the Arduino IDE for the Galileo

The second way is my preferred one, it's much, much more powerful and flexible (I use it every day, so I can tell), but your sketch can only run on a Galileo (more precisely, your code would run potentially on any Linux machine)

If you need help about the second way, just ask, I can explain you how to deal with BSD sockets on Galileo within Arduino IDE

Benoit

1 of 1 people found this helpful