cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE-AHCI-RAID... so far

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When I start my bios i can choose how to set up my SSD: AHCI,IDE,RAID

AHCI and IDE are similar (AHCI newer and more advanced, IDE more standard and compatible) AHCI, I guess, support the automatic TRIM in window7 while IDE don't but i am not sure about this...

RAID has two possibilities:

a) single SSD

Doesn't support automatic TRIM but support the TOOLBOX (correct me if wrong)

b) With RAID-0 SSD (2xSSD disk)

Doesn't support anything but go faster ^_^ (there is any way to trim or clean the empty space with this configuration?)

This said if you have just one SSD which one would you advice?

AHCI?

IDE?

RAID-mono disk?

26 REPLIES 26

DZand
Contributor III

You should choose the "AHCI" Mode.

Big advantages:

1. You will get the automatic Trim command.

2. You will get a better performance than by choosing the "IDE" Mode.

3. Only the AHCI Mode supports the "hot plugging" feature (plug-in and plug-out of mass storage devices while running the OS).

If you choose the IDE Mode, you will get automatic Trim support too, but you will miss the AHCI features (better performance and "hot plugging").

Disadvantage of RAID Mode:

No Trim support and not even the option to run the Optimizer of the Intel SSD Toolbox, because it doesn't work with an SSD, which is within a RAID (single or as an array).

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks that was very clear...

now this... I saw you advertise to use RST driver.

I was just wondering the difference between MSM - JMicron - RST - Marvell

From my understanding MSM is the one intel advice to use since they don't have a certified RST ready yet but the future seem to be the RST one.

What is JMicron?and Marvell? and why to use it?

Last but not least where do i see if i am using a MSM or RST driver? I noticed that Win7 just updated my MSM to the latest version automatically do i have to uninstall it when i install the RST one?

DZand
Contributor III

1. Intel has stopped the development of the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager" (MSM), the successor is the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" (RST). So the new RST drivers will be the better choice, if you want to use any Intel AHCI driver.

2. JMicron and Marvell have nothing to do with MSM or RST. Both are chipset producers like Intel.

3. If your mainboard has Intel and JMicron or Marvell SATA ports, you should connect the Intel SSD to an Intel and not to any other SATA port. Otherwise it would be a good idea to connect your optical drive (DVD Burner) to a JMicron or Marvell SATA port, if it is a SATA connected device.

4. If you are using any Intel SATA AHCI driver (either MSM or RST), you will not have the automatic Trim support, but you can clean your SSD with the Optimizer, which is part of Intel's SSD Toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Okey it's almost everything clear now

I though the new version of MSM did pass TRIM.... if not i have to use MS AHCI drivers...