Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Downsampling/downscaling feature on Intel HD Graphics

MMaur8
Beginner

Is there any chance Intel is adding downsampling/downscaling in its graphics drivers in the near future?

Downsampling/downscaling is achieved by exposing a virtual resolution which is higher the actual monitor resolution (usually above native resolution) and then resizing the screen to native resolution with bilinear filtering or a similar technique. The result is a form of brute-force super-sampling anti-aliasing which works in almost any software.

NVIDIA already supports it in its drivers and call it DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution). But in Optimus configurations, scaling is done by the Intel HD Graphics. So, Optimus users are locked out of the feature.

It would be really nice if Intel drivers natively supported the feature as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello, mnoda:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

That is actually a good and useful feature related to graphics.

There is a feature called collage with Intel® HD Graphics while using multiple displays, this feature will combine the monitors into a single display, allowing you to get higher resolutions, I test this with one of the PCs present in here and with two 1920x1080 monitors I was able to achieve 3840 x 1080, this is doable while using multple displays only.

Right now, there is no feature similar to this and Intel is not planning to develop one.

Regards,

Esteban C

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello, mnoda:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

That is actually a good and useful feature related to graphics.

There is a feature called collage with Intel® HD Graphics while using multiple displays, this feature will combine the monitors into a single display, allowing you to get higher resolutions, I test this with one of the PCs present in here and with two 1920x1080 monitors I was able to achieve 3840 x 1080, this is doable while using multple displays only.

Right now, there is no feature similar to this and Intel is not planning to develop one.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos