5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 10:00 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH won't boot OS

Caladan

I've tried various bootable drives. Each time the BIOS sees the boot drive but the NUC fails to boot.

Loaded bootable SSD M.2 with xubuntu 15.10 from another 6i5SYH. Failed to boot.

Inserted bootable USB stick with xubuntu 15.10. BIOS sees drive. Failed to boot.

Inserted bootable USB stick with xubuntu 16.04. BIOS sees drive. Failed to boot.

Inserted bootable USB stick with Windows 10. BIOS sees drive. Failed to boot.

Wanted to see if I missed something before I sent it back.

=====

Kit      : NUC6i5SYH

BIOS  : 0042 (Upgraded to 0044)

Mem   : Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB RAM DDR4 2133 HX421S13IBK2/16

SSD   : Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW)

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH won't boot OS
          UserPassword

How do you make the bootable usb?

With windows i make it with YUMI 2.0.2.2. With it i can boot: "ubuntu mate 16.04 x64", "lubuntu x86" and "winpe10 sergei" with no problems. The most important is to format usb pen drive with the program.

To make an ubuntu bootable usb (also linux mint) from ubuntu i use UNETBOOTIN.

To make a windows 10 bootable usb i use RUFUS-2.9 (or 2.8) formatting in fat32.

Last bu not least: i use standard configuration bios.

Please let me know if this help you!

=====

NUC: NUC6i5SYH

BIOS: 0044

RAM: 16GB: 2 x Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 8GB CL13

SATA HDD: Seagate 500GB ST9500420AS (0006HPM1) with Windows10 Home Premium x64

USB 3.0 HDD: WesternDigital 320GB WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 (11.01A11) with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 x64

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD: Logitech K270

MONITOR: Samsung SmartTV 32" UE32H5570SS

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH won't boot OS
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Caladan,

I was wondering if the information provided by UserPassword helps you. Where you able to install the OS? Was your NUC working before?

Regards,
            Hellen.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH won't boot OS
              Caladan

Hello Hellen, actually I was just working on the NUC again. I made a bootable drive as suggested by UserPassword. I'm on a Mac and used UNETBOOTIN. The NUC BIOS sees the USB as bootable. Upon boot the USB drive flashes but then I get the message, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media..." I tried different USB slots.

I also retried a Window 10 USB. This is a commercial USB drive from Microsoft, which I previous used to install Windows on a different machine. I get the same error message. I have to assume the NUC is bad. Unless you have some insight on the problem, I'll return it to Amazon.

Thanks to UserPassword for the suggestion.

Caladan

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH won't boot OS
                Intel Corporation

Hi Caladan,

I would suggest you, in case you have the chance to test the NUC with a different SSD, and if the NUC behaves as it does with the Samsung 850 EVO SSD, you can try to replace the unit.
                You can contact our contact center to process a replacement.
                http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH won't boot OS
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Caladan,

I was wondering if could get the replacement and how the new unit is working. Also if there is something else you need, do not heisted to contact us back.

Regards,
                  Hellen.