6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 8:53 AM by Intel Corporation

Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10

someITguy

We have customers using the Intel NUC D34010WYK as servers but ever sense the machines auto-updated to windows 10 (thanks Microsoft (sarcasm)), the LAN ports have been acting funny. Non of our main techs have been on site to see whats going on but remotely it looks like the NUC isn't detecting the network on boot up. The even weirder part is that the local client stations are sometimes able to connect to the NUC server when we cannot remotely. When the stations are able to connect to the server but we aren't able to log in remotely, the NUC has enough of a connection to do credit card processing.To "fix" it, we have the customer unplug the RJ45 CAT5e cable from the NUC and plug it back in. After that the NUC sees the network and we can login remotely using logmein. This happens every night after an automatic reboot using a simple shutdown bat file.

This only happened after Windows auto-upgraded to Windows 10 32bit and 64bit. It only happens with the D34010WYK models. We have been installing the 5th and 6th gen CPU NUCs with windows 10 for months with no issue. Well, no network issue.

Is anyone else having this issue? I haven't been on site and its not something easy to walk non tech people through.

• 1. Re: Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello someITguy,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Just checking – did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest LAN driver?

Did the unit work before and then failed or it never worked?

Is the BIOS up to date?

Regards,

Ivan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10
            someITguy

- I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling the LAN driver yet. I have only installed the latest version via the manual download (not the Intel driver app) over the top. I havnt been on site yet and thats not something i feel comfortable doing remotely using logmein.

- These NUCs had no issue until they were auto-upgraded to Windows 10. When they were Windows 8.1 (some might have been windows 7, not 100% sure) they had no network issues.

- The bios has not been updated. Also because i have not been on site.

<mini rant> We have been logging into every customer and installing a program that prevents the windows 10 upgrade thanks to Microsoft. In 1 morning we had 6 down sites because of the upgrade </mini rant>

• 3. Re: Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10
              N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, all hail the GWX Control Panel!

I have seen this issue resolved by uninstalling the existing LAN driver and then installing the latest. In theory, the over-install should work but, well, sh*t happens. In the case where I have done the upgrade on purpose, I installed all of the latest driver packages from scratch after the upgrade completed - and did it all locally, so cannot say whether any LAN issue had developed during the upgrade.

Updating the BIOS remotely should be possible using LogMeIn. Just run the EBU (Express BIOS Update) executable for the latest BIOS. You will lose contact with the NUC while the BIOS upgrade is being installed but, after the upgrade is completed, the NUC should reboot and you should be able to log in again. If it doesn't, someone local will have to look at it.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10
                Intel Corporation

If this is happening after auto-upgraded to Windows 10, most likely you will need latest LAN driver for Windows 10, you can download it here:
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25966/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Connection-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

I hope N. Scott Pearson information can be helpful for you as well.

Regards,

Ivan

• 5. Re: Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10
                  someITguy

Just updating the thread. I wasn't the person that fixed it but i talked to the person who did. He believes it was uninstalling and reinstalling the LAN drivers that fixed the issue because it got to the internet after boot up after that. He didn't test if the stations were talking to the server before updating the bios because the sites were live at the moment of applying the fix. Regardless, uninstalling and reinstalling the LAN driver (Version: 20.7.1 Date: 4/29/2016) and updated the bios (Version: 0041 Date: 7/20/2015) fixed my issue. Thanks everyone. You saved busy people from having to deal with the same call every morning until we had time to fix this along side preventing the Windows 10 upgrades until we are ready.

P.S. The Windwos 10 updates have been scheduled for 11am Friday and Saturday... Microsoft knows they have restaurants running their OS right? That's the dumbest time to auto scheduled something that brings down the PC for a long period of time. Right before a weekend lunch rust? come on.

Update: Despite my best efforts to stop Microsoft from upgrading our customers to windows 10, a couple fell through the cracks but i was able to test this issue further. I was able to confirm that the LAN drivers were the issue. The NIC wasn't getting a DHCP address and when i set it to static it still didn't detect anything on the network including an internet connection. I uninstalled the driver then installed the LAN driver version: 20.7.1 (Date: 4/29/2016) and everything was working again.

• 6. Re: Network issues D34010WYK & Windows 10
                    Intel Corporation

I’m glad that the issue has been resolved and thank you very much for taken your time to let us know how it was resolved.

Best wishes,

Ivan