6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 7:52 AM by Intel Corporation

Strange behaviour with HD 4600 on W8.1 + performance settings.

Pon

Here we have a fun thing to do. I have quite a few of these and it was a problem for a while I want to know why.

Motherboard - Ibase SI83 (A rather nice box, I like them.)

OS - Windows 8.1  with all the latest updates.

Graphics driver - 10.18.14.4332

Connected display TH42-LF20 (Much smaller than I usually use.) over HDMI (Sorry, DisplayPort, your hot-plug ruins your usability.)

This is an STB, so it likes to play content, typically 4K mp4's.

OS power mode is "balanced" but screen saver etc are disabled, it does not sleep.

Monitor is off.

Content play starts.

Monitor is turned on.  "no signal"

Something consumes all available memory in several minutes and the OS crashes.

Why does my machine have a meltdown in this situation?

(I do not have that monitor to hand to reproduce, but I am told it can be done with other monitors like the PN-H701.)

The solution seems to be to change the graphics driver power mode to "high performance."

$gfx = 2

# default = 1 for balanced,

$guid = whatever-I-created.

powercfg -setacvalueindex $guid 44f3beca-a7c0-460e-9df2-bb8b99e0cba6 3619c3f2-afb2-4afc-b0e9-e7fef372de36 $gfx

powercfg -setdcvalueindex $guid 44f3beca-a7c0-460e-9df2-bb8b99e0cba6 3619c3f2-afb2-4afc-b0e9-e7fef372de36 $gfx

WHY?

What, exactly, changes with respect to the output between the various graphics modes and where can I read the awesome documentation about this?