6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 11:14 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5ryh - cannot install windows 7 on 2.5" standard HDD or Samsung m2 sata

jhx98

Hello

i have nuc5i5ryh. bios version 0355  and visual bios version 2.2.17

i have both Samsung m2 sata and Fujitsu 2.5" regular hdd installed

i tried to install windows 7 following Operating System Installation for Intel® NUC

but i cannot do as said in 3.c because there is no OS Selection option on the Boot Configuration Menu

When i try to install windows 7 from usb stick, it just gives error saying "windows cannot be installed to this disk..."

Both choosing m2 sata or 2.5" hdd gives the same error.

• 1. Re: no OS Selection option on the boot menu
          jhx98

i reverted all the way back to bios version 0246. but no change.

i am always getting same error message reported in this thread NUC5i7RYH problem installing windows 7 on M.2 SSD and in this thread NUC NUC5i7RYH BIOS 0350 stops Windows 7 from booting up

• 2. Re: NUC5i5ryh - cannot install windows 7 on 2.5" standard HDD or Samsung m2 sata
            bobnuc5i3

I'm a new user of a NUC5i3ryh & will just suggest some hints that may or may not help. Mine was built in Nov 015 and cam with bios 2.2.1.7 (aka 0350) which I have not changed.  Some perhaps helpful things...I 1st installed Win 7 home x64.  I did set in the bios to use legacy mode (not uefi) and did chk off the use usb boot and deselected the defaulted PXE boot.  I have only 1 ssd (2.5" not msata) connected.  When set to the NUC defaults, the board always tried PXE first, and did not see either the USB installation media not the (empty) ssd.  You didn't mention it, but in order to install w7 from a usb drive, the NUC uses USB3, and W7 has NO USB3 support in the boot, but the mouse& KB works in bios.  Intel has on their driver page, a util to take a std MS w7 iso image and the app will insert needed USB 3 drivers.  Worked slick.  After the W7 was stable I let w7 upgrade itself to w10...not issues only to install Intel Network, management, chipset,graphics and USB drivers and all worked well.  (I'm not going to load the other newer Intel W10 drivers if i have not issues.  One last point, Win 7 and w10 can be touchy if you have > 1 ssd or hdd connected during the install.  You might want to do a test with only a 2.5 hdd connected.  Let us know if any of this helps.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5ryh - cannot install windows 7 on 2.5" standard HDD or Samsung m2 sata
              jhx98

hello bobnuc5i3

thank you for the answer.

i do not have any issue booting from usb install media. but the damn thing always giving the same error "windows cannot be installed to this disk..." whatever combination i have tried.

it started to get annoying and time consuming...

• 4. Re: NUC5i5ryh - cannot install windows 7 on 2.5" standard HDD or Samsung m2 sata
                bobnuc5i3

Goggling around shows this message is quite common on many computers from 2012 & newer.  Several points were discussed: One area was still to have only 1 drive connected and a very common cause was that the HDD/SDD drive was REALLY (not) empty (unpartitioned) or as factory initialized and not perhaps previously used on another PC and holding some win files, partitions etc.  Even a case where the drive WAS used and was (in the other PCs Bios) set to a non-ahcii mode or a partition existed of the GPT type.  Such partitions may confuse or not be supported by the Win7 Installer.   MS has an AP note about this, noting that if UEFI and x64 bit mode is not enabled the same error message can appear.  If not tried, I'd connect only the 2.5 HDD and, maybe even to a std desktop PC and wipe all partitions then try again w/ only the hdd on the NUC, thus eliminating any msata drv issues that might be part of the problem..

good luck

• 5. Re: NUC5i5ryh - cannot install windows 7 on 2.5" standard HDD or Samsung m2 sata
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi,

Do you know if this drive was used before or it was installed in another system?

If the HDD has been used before and is initialized as MBR, it might not work properly in UEFI, try legacy boot only.

Regards,

Ivan

• 6. Re: NUC5i5ryh - cannot install windows 7 on 2.5" standard HDD or Samsung m2 sata
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi,

I’m just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved with the information provided above or if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan