Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Display larger than screen size

ETree
Beginner

I've just bought a NUC PC and started setting it up as a Media PC. However, the desktop and any other screens are two wide and to high to fit in the monitor display area. The Monitor is my SAMSung TV.

The Windows 10 start icon is too far to the right so can't be clicked on, the bottom task bar only shows 50% of it's height and the recycling bin is just visible of the top left corner.

The resolution is 1920 × 1080 as set by the graphics card. The card can handle 4k according to the specs , so i'm not pushing it. 

This is the correct resolution for the tv because i already have my own Home theater PC plugged in through the HDMI2 source and the HDMI 3 source is an xbox. All these input sources are set to a resolution of 1920 × 1080 and all working fine.  I've used the intel driver utility and upgraded all drivers to the latest. There appears to be no fine adjustment on the graphics card to fix this issue. Can any one assist.  Erick
0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

ErickTreetops:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Please check the FAQ "Why can I see the center of the Windows* desktop, but not the top, bottom, and sides?"

Here: http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005502.html http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005502.html

There you will be able to manually adjust the size of the screen, which should help you with this issue.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
ETree
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I did read the FAQ when i first encountered the issue. However, your web page must be out of date as it does not resemble my Control panel.

Please see my control panel screen shot below. As you can see there is no slider to adjust the screen size.

This is the latests graphics driver according to the Intel Driver Utility which I ran just last Sunday

Could you please provide a solution that works for my Graphics control panel.

In addition modifying the settings on the TV is not possible as this would affect the XBox one and HTPC's on the other HDMI inputs which have no issues rendering 1920 x 1080 correctly to the Samsung tv.

Please note that the HTPC is running on a i3-4130T with a 4400 intel HD graphics also on windows 10. So neither the windows o/s nor the TV are the cause of this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ErickTreetops:

In this case there are some steps that we can follow to troubleshoot this this.

1. Change the resolution to one that has this option "Costumize Aspect Ratio"

2. After changing to that resolution (saving it), please go back to the desired resolution 1920 x 1080

3. Check if the option is available after doing this.

If the problem persists, you can do the following:

A. Uninstall the graphics driver

-Access the device manager (you can use windows start search to find it).

-Look for Display adapters double click on it.

-Right click on your Intel® HD Graphics and hit properties.

-Go to driver tab and hit uninstall.

-Select "Delete the driver software for this device"

B. Download and install the driver 15.40.22.4424 (Latest) as of 5/24/2016

Please test these steps and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
ETree
Beginner

There were 17 possible resolution settings.

The only 4 options available on some settings were

1. Maintain Display Scaling
  2. Maintain Aspect Ratio
  3. Scale Full Screen
  4. Center Image

I then uninstalled driver version 20.19.15.4331 date 18th of November 2015

I download graphics driver version 15.40.22.4424.

When i attempted to install i received the following error

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software

I also downloaded version 15.40.22.4424 which is a later version.

It also presents with the same error

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software

Please be aware i have a NUC5CPYH

With 8GB of RAM

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit

It would appear at first glance that the driver package for some reason my not cover my NUC version

Does intel still support this hardware?

Please provide me with an alternate solution.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, ErickTreetops:

Thank you for your answer, yes Intel does support this.

Please test this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25645/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows10-for-NUC5-x-PY-NUC5PGY?product=85254 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25645/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows10-for-NUC5-x-PY-NUC5PGY?product=85254

Also, I would like to get the Intel® System Support Utility report and the model/brand of your

display/monitor.

How to get the report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
ETree
Beginner

Thank you for the reply.

The NUC was a gift for an elderly family member. I was setting it up for use as media unit.

It has since been handed over and resides interstate. However, i do intend to remote into it over the next two weeks to carry out additional local configuration.

Further to my research I came upon a number of similar thread on the Intel forums. Where users of higher end graphic cards complain that there was no overscan or underscan adjustments on their graphic drivers. This issue was resolved for some by the introduction of new drivers for their GPU's last year.

Im suprised this fix wasnt rolled out to all NUC's as they are marketed for use a media boxes. It does appear to be an ongoing issue easily fixed by the software engineers.

Will report back on my findings.

Erick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For sure it is understandable ErickTreetops, but lets wait for your finding in order to further troubleshoot this, additionally, may I have the model of the Intel® NUC Kit you own?

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, ErickTreetops:

I was checking this thread and wondered if you have some findings on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
ETree
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

The current TV is a Hisense, which is not experiencing overscan issues.

Unfortunately, without the graphic driver updates to correct TV overscan issues the current NUC PC are not suitable as media devices. Should I wish to purchase one myself in the future I would require a compatibility list of TVs that it is suitable for.

It would make more sense for Intel to incorporate the overscan adjustment in all NUC graphic drivers.

Regards

Erick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply ErickTreetops, actually there is a list of peripherals that have been tested and reported by customers, this can be found here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005701.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005701.html

In regards to the issue with overscan, I would like to request the specific model that you have for the TV, in order to further investigate this behavior.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey ErickTreetops, some additional input on this matter from my side.

I have seen that most of the TVs have different options to be changed related to aspect ratio, zoom, fit, or center.

Would you please check if these options help you with this scenario? Actually some partners have had this issue and it was fixed after changing the TV options mentioned above.

I could also look for the steps to do so, it would only be required the model of your TV.

Hope you can get this fixed with recommendations here, please keep me posted.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Erick:

I was wondering, were you able to set the screen size as desired with the recommendations provided above?

Please let me know how it went 🙂

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, ErickTreetops :

Just wanted to check if you still have the issue related to the resolution and screen size in your NUC?

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
ETree
Beginner

Thanks Esteban,

I was never able to resolve the issue on my Samsung TV. As the NUC was a gift it was used by another person on a different TV where it did not require adjustment.

I no longer have access to the NUC so can no longer perform any tests for you.

Regards

Erick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer ErickTreetops.

I understand it is working properly with another display.

In this case, if you require any further support from our side, feel free to contact any our support platforms, we will gladly assist you.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just setup an Intel NUC6i7KYK with a pretty old Samsung LN46A750R1FXZA as the TV/display. I had the same issue with overscan/scaling. I tried adjusting the scaling in the Intel Graphics Utility without luck - it seemed I'd have to tinker with custom resolutions to get the Windows desktop to fit within the screen. Then I did some googling.

Turns out my issue was the video setting on my TV. I needed to change it from "16:9" to "Just Scan". Similar settings could be "1:1", "Full", "Native" or "dot by dot". Basically, the TV has a bit of a zoom on the input which is causing the overscan issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Lubs:

Thank you for sharing your experience with this matter! Where you able to get it configured as desired with those options from the TV?

Please let us know.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Esteban,

Yes, changing the TV to "Just Scan" mode made it fit on my Samsung TV.

0 Kudos
ETree
Beginner

Yes it's true some TVs do have this option but not all. Intel shouldn't rely on the TV manufacturer to make their drivers work with the tv.

The Nuc is marketed as suitable for a home theatre. Yet a look at the infrequncy of driver updates and the lack of an over and under scan adjustments makes me doubt their commitment to this purpose. Drivers used in their game processors had this option added years ago.

The addition of this single functionality should take the driver developers less than an hour to implement.

Erick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What model TV do you have? While I agree Intel should provide support for their products, it's a fair assumption that the settings on peripherals it connects to should be set correctly.

Television signals are often broadcast overscan - you might witness this if you see a black line or even a line of static at the top of your screen. TVs are set to deal with overscan and only show what's meant to displayed.

Computers output the exact resolution configured in the display settings. If your TV is set to handle a broadcast signal, it will magnify the computer signal and part of it won't be shown on screen, which is what you're seeing. Hence the Just Scan, 1:1, Dot by Dot, Full or Native settings seen on TVs. Every TV has some kind of setting to deal with how input signals are displayed, or that was in fact an oversight on the TV manufacturer's part. I'm sure we can determine what that setting is on your TV, which is a far cleaner solution than changing resolution or scan settings on your PC.

0 Kudos