3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 3:17 PM by Intel Corporation

How to choose CPU for CAD and Photoediting

FredrikW

I'm planing to replace my old computer with a new, homebuilt, computer. I will mainly work in AutoDesk AutoCad and Adobe PhotoShop. What to choose and how to choose. To begin with: Xeon or i7? I've read that both AutoCad and PhotoShop has problems using more then 2-4 cores, and that the important thing therefor is GHz. Is this true? I will be building it around a NVidia Quadro K4200 to get the most out of my GPU - Do I go i7 or Xeon? If I go i7 - speed or cores. The same for Xeon - how do a reason out the best CPU?!?

• 1. Re: How to choose CPU for CAD and Photoediting
          FredrikW

I've been looking at a couple of CPU:s: E5-1620V3, E5-1650V3, E5-1630V3, i7-5930K, (Working from the idea that clock-speed is more important then the number of Core:s) How important is the size of the cache? If clock-speed isn't the most imnportant factor - I will have to look again!! Please help me find my way out of this djungle!

And to make it even harder: Will I benefit, and how much, from a dual-cpu setup?. Is it a better idea to go for TWO "cheaper"  CPU:s, planing for a future upgrade when price might be dropping, or schould I go for 1 CPU ,more expensive, all the way?

• 2. Re: How to choose CPU for CAD and Photoediting
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi FredrikW,

Taking your information as questions these are the answers, hope this helps you.
            Here you can find the system requirements for those apps

System Requirements Adobe PhotoShop
            https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html        

System requirements for AutoCAD
            https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD.html

What to choose and how to choose. To begin with: Xeon or i7? I suggest you to use Xeon, according to the requirements of these applications.

I've read that both AutoCad and PhotoShop have problems using more then 2-4 cores, and that the important thing therefore is GHz. Is this true? We cannot provide this information because it will depend on the requirements of the application; here you can find additional information on Hardware recommendation:

Recommended Systems for AutoDesk AutoCAD
            https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-AutoDesk-AutoCAD-134/Hardware-Recommendations

Adobe Photoshop CC Multi Core Performance
            https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/

I will be building it around a NVidia Quadro K4200 to get the most out of my GPU –
            Do I go i7 or Xeon? I didn’t find any compatibility issue between the NVIDIA Quadro K4200 and Xeon or Core-i7  

If I go i7 - speed or cores. The same for Xeon - how do a reason out the best CPU?!? Xeon is aimed at high processing software; Core-I7 is aimed for high performance more than anything else (for gaming)

I've been looking at a couple of CPU:s: E5-1620V3, E5-1650V3, E5-1630V3, i7-5930K, (Working from the idea that clock-speed is more important then the number of Core:s) Same answer as before Xeon is for high processing more than high performance, Core I7 is mostly for high-end games.

How important is the size of the cache? Very at the end bigger cache better the performance, since the processor is more capable of addressing more requests from memory

If clock-speed isn't the most imnportant factor - I will have to look again!! Please help me find my way out of this djungle! For gaming the highest speed will overrule any other feature, but for production (Autodesk and Adobe) high processing is better.

And to make it even harder: Will I benefit, and how much, from a dual-cpu setup? If one Xeon is great for high processing, two will be a lot better. But be aware that none of the previously listed Xeons are capable of dual-CPU setup, for that you need the E5-2600 family of processors.

Is it a better idea to go for TWO "cheaper"  CPU:s, planing for a future upgrade when price might be dropping, or schould I go for 1 CPU ,more expensive, all the way? Since only the E5-2600 family is available for dual-CPU setup, there are no “cheap” processors in that family of processors.

Note: As per Clock-speed be aware that only Core-I7 processors are overclocking capable, no Xeon is capable of it.

Regards,
            Hellen.

• 3. Re: How to choose CPU for CAD and Photoediting
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi FredrikW,

I have been checking this thread and I was wondering if the information provided helps you.

Regards,
              Hellen.