Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14368 Discussions

i7-4790K failure, unable to submit warrantly claim

PShor1
Beginner

After spending a few weeks troubleshooting my issue with my system no longer booting I have come to the conclusion that my trusty 4790K has failed. I have tried to submit the following information into a warranty claim only to be presented with an error once this information was submitted.

Processor: i7-4790K

Motherboards: Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH, Asrock Z97 Extreme6

On my Gigabyte board the processor would not let the system POST. The LED error indicator on board would not even display a number and would send the system into a constant on for about 3-5 seconds only to power off for another 5. This would repeat endlessly. Once in a while it would allow the board to begin the POST process (nothing displayed on the monitor, however) only to return to the power on/off cycle.

Thinking it was the Gigabyte board going dead initially as they are known to do so I purchased a new board, the Asrock but upon reassembly with this board it too would fail to POST. It would occasionally cycle on/off like the Gigabyte board but mostly would just display the error "00" on the LED display with none of the other LEDs to illuminate. Similarly to the Gigabyte board, the Asrock would sometimes go through the POST process only to fail back before boot with nothing on the display.

I acquired a used inexpensive Celeron processor for testing and both the Gigabyte and Asrock boards would POST and boot normally. I returned the i7-4790K back to the Asrock that was currently setup and failed to POST once again.

What should I do now?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are using a Haswell refresh processor, which requires that the bios of the boards be at the proper level. Use your Celeron processor to update the bios of the boards, then you can use the i7-4790K.

Doc

0 Kudos
PShor1
Beginner

It was working without any issues prior to a few weeks ago when this issue started. The Gigabyte board has the latest update. The ASRock was recently purchased and I believe it came with a version that would work, according to several forums. CMOS reset numerous times.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, but it would not require much effort to recheck both boards for the proper bios. If both are ok, then submit a warranty request.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/warranty-center.html Intel® Warranty Center

Doc

0 Kudos
PShor1
Beginner

If I still had the Celeron I would do so, however it was returned to its owner. The ASRock is the only board that I'm unsure if it's the latest but I know for a fact that the Gigabyte board is updated as I made sure about a month ago.

I would love to submit a warranty claim however as mentioned in the first post and thread title I'm unable to submit due to a site error during the submission process.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There are other ways to get to our warranty team, this could be via phone, email or chat at: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html%23%4012 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

At this stage, I have made a request and our processor team will contact you back via email as soon as possible

Allan.

0 Kudos