1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 3:24 PM by Intel Corporation

windows repair disc won't boot

ChrisL3

I have a gen5 and a gen 6 core i5 NUC. I have create a Windows repair disc on each but it won't boot. It tries but it shows "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and press any key when ready".

It does the same thing with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I've booted from a repair disk created elsewhere and this boots OK but is then useless as it has no USB 3 drivers so the keyboard and mouse don't work.

Any ideas from anyone? Has anyone managed to do this successfully?

• 1. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi ChrisL3,

To better assist you could you please provide the following information
          Complete Intel® NUCs models:
          The model of the hardware that you are using (RAMs, M.2 SSD or “2.5” HDD):
          BIOS version:
          Keep in mind if you are going to install window* 7 you will need to use the Intel Creator Utility.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
            ChrisL3

Hellen,

The gen 5 unit was made from a kit:

Intel - NUC5i5RYK

Kingston - SM2280S3/120G          120GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Kingston - KVR16LS11/4               4GB SODIMM Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory

BIOS is 0354

I did the vanilla Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) install using an external DVD drive. I did this a few months ago before I even understood that there is the USB 3 issue with Windows 7 installation.

The gen 6 unit was bought as an integrated unit from QuietPC (http://www.quietpc.com/):

6th Gen NUC Core i5-6260U, NUC6i5SYK

8 GB Crucial      DDR4 SODIMM (2x4GB) 1.2V 2133MHz Memory

Samsung SM951 128 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit was pre-installed.
            This is the system I have updated to Windows 10 (but have image backups of both)

BIOS is 0042

Regards

Chris

• 3. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
              ChrisL3

please see response incorrectly posted as a reply to myself...

• 4. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                Intel Corporation

Hi ChirsL3,

I am a little confused with the main issue here; let me give you some ideas from what I understand.
                You have two NUCs, and you want to repair the windows they have, don’t you?

With the Intel® NUC5i5RYK, if you get issues with the USB3.0 using the Keyboard and Mouse please follow this:

For the Intel® NUC6i5SYK, could you explain me more details about it?
                Was the system working before?
                What do you want to do with this NUC? Are you trying to reinstall the OS?

Regards,
                Hellen.
                • 5. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                  ChrisL3

Hellen,

I think you're trying to get to deep into this. I'm not trying to repair a Windows installation; I'm trying to create the Windows repair disc in case I (or one of our customers) ever need to in the future. I create the DVD from Windows Control Panel as I have done for years but the resultant DVD won't boot on the NUC or any other PC.

The first question is whether this is a common issue with the NUC for some reason? If you were to try to create this recovery disk, would it be bootable?

The Windows installation I have on the NUCs do have the USB3 driver installed when I create the recovery disk. I don't get as far as the USB 3 driver problem on the resultant disk.

I can't try the xHCI change for a few days as I'm on holiday.

Regards

Chris

• 6. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                    UserPassword

Hi there, have you tried to make the bootable usb with yumi 2.0.2.2 or Rufus 2.9 ??

I recommend you the sergei winpe to make backup and restore.

It perfectly works for me on:

NUC: NUC6i5SYH

BIOS: 0044

RAM: 16GB: 2 x Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 8GB CL13

SATA HDD: Seagate 500GB ST9500420AS (0006HPM1) with Windows10 Home Premium x64 dualboot Remix OS 64 (B2016042001)

USB 3.0 HDD: WesternDigital 320GB WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 (11.01A11) with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 x64

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD: Logitech K270

MONITOR: Samsung SmartTV 32" UE32H5570SS

Let me know if this helps!

• 7. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                      Intel Corporation

Hi ChrisL3,

You can try to use the steps provide by Microsoft®, Please let me know the outcome.
                      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Regards,
                      Hellen.

• 8. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                        ChrisL3

HI,

Thanks for the suggestion but I can already use Paragon for this. The trouble is I really want to use the standard Microsoft built in Windows 7 Backup as this has worked well for us for years. I'm not looking for an alternative. I just can't understand why I can't get the standard Microsoft backup and recovery to work.

My original post asked "Has anyone managed to do this successfully?" and no one has answered, so I still don't know if I'm missing something or it really won't work for anyone because of something strange in the NUC architecture.

Regards

Chris

• 9. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                          ChrisL3

Hellen,

I've tried the Microsoft USB recovery drive and I hit another error. I'm trying to create the recovery media so I can use it to restore a Windows Backup. The USB recovery media did boot and the keyboard and mouse did work but when I got to the point where I selected the image to restore, it failed with an error message saying "Windows cannot restore a system a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using EFI and the computer is using BIOS."

I fixed this by rebooting and selecting the UEFI:OS Bootloader option instead of the OS Boot Drive option and the recovery drive worked fully. I now have a working way of restoring a WIndows 10 Backup - Thanks.

However, I'd still like to do the same with Windows 7 and the USB recovery driv option seems to only be good for Windows 8 onwards. But with the experience I've had today with Windows 10, I'll give it another go this week when I have a chance

Regards

Chris

• 10. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                            Intel Corporation

Hi ChrisL3,

Great to know that the information helps you, in order to clarify, keep in mind that both NUCs are different generation, and the way to install Windows® 7 is different too.

For the 5 generation, Intel® NUC5i5RYK I would suggest you to uncheck xCHI option on the BIOS.
                            For the 6 generation, Intel® NUC6i5SYK you will need a Windows version with the USB 3.0 driver.
                            Please, take in consideration that both NUCs are different generation, so, there is not a way to use the same Windows® 7 Backup on both Intel® NUCs.

Regards,
                            Hellen.

• 11. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                              ChrisL3

Hellen,

I've now given up on the Windows Repair Disk and have been concentrating on the Windows Installation. I've got a bootable Windows 7 x64 Installation on a USB stick. I've worked out how to make it boot in UEFI mode as well as in BIOS mode.

I suspect my original problem that the Windows Repair Disk won't boot is something to do with UEFI and Windows 7 not properly supporting it. The CD was created from a UEFI OS install so when I try to boot the CDF in BIOS mode it says it is not bootable. When I try to boot it in UEFI mode, it throws me straight back to the F10 boot selector screen.

Anyway, I want to restore a Windows 7 image. With my bootable USB Windows 7 install stick, If I boot it in BIOS mode, I get all the way through to where it is meant to start the data copy and it fails, saying "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using EFI and the computer is using BIOS". I now understand this - I need to use UEFI boot. If I then boot exactly the same stick in UEFI mode, as soon as I select "Repair your computer", I get "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair". I think Windows 7 is getting this wrong when booted in UEFI mode. Any ideas?

Chris

• 12. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                                Intel Corporation

Hi ChrisL3,

In regards of the issue you are getting with the Windows repair disk, I would suggest you to contact Microsoft* through its communities, there might be more users that can help you with this.
                                http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards,
                                Hellen.

• 13. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                                  ChrisL3

Hellen,

As well as trying Microsoft, I thought I'd try just installing Windows from scratch on the NUC6i5SYH. The Windows 7 install process can't see the SSD, so that might be the source of my problem. Which driver do I need to download and if is a .exe, how do I extract the .INF file?

Regards

Chris

• 14. Re: windows repair disc won't boot
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi ChrisL3,

I would suggest you to format your SSD, before the installation; remember that Windows® 7 on the Intel® NUC6i5SYH installation is different, you will have to use de Intel USB 3.0 Creator Utility tool.

Regards,
                                    Hellen.

1 2 Previous Next