9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 5:48 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature

yuvadm

When I first got my NUC6i5SYH the idle temperature (i.e. after boot, or with minimal CPU usage) was in the low 30 degrees Celsius. After a while I started using enable_rc6=0 for graphics stability and upgraded BIOS versions, and then the base temperature climbed to around 50C. I assumed this was due to RC6 leaving the CPU/GPU in a higher power consumption state thus heating everything up. (Not to mention temperatures go up to 75C under load.)

Now that I've upgraded to 4.6 kernel and the RC6 hack is no longer needed (yay!), the temperatures are only slightly lower, around 45C.

WTF happened to my low temperatures? Did something in the default BIOS cooling options change while I was upgrading? I want my low temperatures back, dammit.

Right now my cooling profile is "balanced" with all the default values, I never changed any of that configuration by myself.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
          hegenious

Did you check with the 'top' command whether you have a runaway process? Something consuming around 20% CPU?

I had that some time ago but can't remember the culprit's name. I googled and found how to disable that process, and temps went back to the normal, low 30's on idle.

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
            yuvadm

Nope there's nothing there. Worse, this idle temperature can even be seen when just booting to BIOS and checking the cooling stats.

Fan is at 3000 RPM, and idle temp on all sensors is around 50C.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Yuvadm,

Before any troubleshooting, could you please provide the current BIOS version of your NUC, and RAM’s brand name and model?

Regards,
              Hellen.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
                yuvadm

Sure, I'm running the latest BIOS 0044 on a NUC6i5SYH with Kingston HyperX 2x8GB DDR4 RAM

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Yuvadm,

Please load defaults settings on the BIOS and try to update your system with the latest Kernel version. Let me know if it helps.
                   If you need assistance with Linux* on Intel NUC, check your distro's website and forums for peer assistance.
                  Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products
                  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards/000005628.html

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Yuvadm,

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if there is any update, is your NUC working properly?

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
                      MikeGER

I have the exact same problem. How have you fixed it? Is the temperature normal? I have Bios 0054 and loaded the default fan speeds.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Let's put these temperatures into perspective. The system - all components - can operate indefinitely, without suffering any thermal degradation, at any temperatures below ~80°C. In the case of the processor, it can operate indefinitely at even higher temperatures (though my recommendation is to keep it below 85°C). If your minimum temperatures are in the 50's, everything is still absolutely happy. If you want to manually set the fan speed control configuration to (my) optimal settings, here's what to put in:

Fan Control Mode                              Custom

Minimum Duty Cycle (%)                   40

Primary Temperature Sensor             Processor

Minimum Temperature (°C)                65

Duty Cycle Increment (%/°C)             3                              <-- Very important!

Secondary Temperature Sensor        Memory

Minimum Temperature (°C)                55

Duty Cycle Increment (%/°C)             3                              <-- Very important!

Hope this helps,

...S

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH high idle temperature
                          Intel Corporation

Hello:

To all the peers viewing this thread, I just wanted to let you all know that we will be more than glad to assist you in trying to fix this problem with the NUC.

If you tried the steps above and the problem remains, then for us to be able to start an investigation on this subject, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to further assist you and also in order for us to help you with the specific problem the NUC might have, please submit a new thread.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto