11 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 2:32 PM by rguevara

NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes

cpratt

Got my Skull Canyon NUC set up last Saturday with a Samsung 950 PRO SSD + some GSkill memory running Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 10586.318 + the latest Intel BIOS KYSKLi70.86A. Fired up (don't laugh) Age of Empires III: The War Chiefs, which looked great... until it crashed. Three times, usually after 30-45 minutes, which of course was massively frustrating.

The Windows event log shows three critical errors, all along the lines of The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. The second time, I got the BSOD + the following additional information:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

Code: 124

Parameter 1: 0

Parameter 2: ffffe00124598028

Parameter 3: fe200080

Parameter 4: 2010b

OS version: 10_0_10586

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE

Any clues on how to get this working? It wasn't particularly warm last weekend + the NUC has more than adequate airspace around it; I'm stumped.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
          hegenious

I don't own the skull canyon and I may be wrong but this looks like a bsod bug check code 124, aka WHEA.

Usually this points to a hardware problem.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
            rguevara

Hello,

Is this issue only happening when running a specific application? As you were saying, when running Age of Empires III: The War Chiefs? Any similar behavior when running just Windows or a different game of software?

I would also recommend that you make sure the system is running latest Drivers (I see that you have latest BIOS revision). Here is the URL to get them: Drivers & Software

Would please you also post a picture of the error/BSOD?  

Regards,

Ronny G

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
              cpratt

Not gonna post a picture of the error/BSOD because a picture of a BSOD isn't as useful as a description of the BSOD from the Windows Event Viewer...

All installed drivers are current and were installed from Intel's website shortly after installing Windows + before running Age of Empires III: The War Chiefs.

Given that Windows suggested there was a hardware error, and given the yuge amount of fan noise that happens shortly after launching AoE, I'm guessing that this NUC is having thermal issues. It's running with about 6cm of clearance on all four sides in a room with an ambient temperature of about 20 deg. C; it replaced a previous model NUC that never had any kind of thermal issues (but which didn't look so great, graphics-wise). Not super happy about this.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                rguevara

Can you please help me out by answering the following questions? I really appreciate your help.

Are you getting this: Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Windows 10 hardware dev ?

Is the overheating only exhibited when running Age of Empires III?

And does the error message looks like this:

0x0000124-WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.jpg

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                  cpratt

Yup, that's a Windows 10 BSOD and that's what I saw the second time it crashed. (The first and third times, the NUC just froze.)

If the NUC isn't running Age of Empires III, it isn't running the fans at full tilt, isn't perceptibly warm, and also isn't crashy. I'm experimenting with different fan settings in the BIOS to see if there's a way to get it to not overheat and blue screen, but tbh the weather is great so I hopefully/probably won't be playing games on it much until the onset of wintertime...

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                    rguevara

Thanks for the information. Let me do some more research and play with mine and I will get back to you but also let me know of any finding on your side.

...have fun outdoors!

Regards,

Ronny G

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                      Rwashington

Can you identify which version of the bios you are on.  The Intel "BIOS KYSKLi70.86A" is not actually an identifier for the version.  Would also be helpful to know which version of the graphics driver you are using.

If you could run a dxdiag and paste the text output into a reply it could also help us debug further.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                        cpratt

It's BIOS version KYSKLi70.86A.0034.2016.0503.1003.

I'd be happy to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool next time I use the NUC.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                          cpratt

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 5/21/2016, 07:00:00

Machine name: [redacted]

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160422-1850)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer:                                

System Model:                                

BIOS: KYSKLi70.86A.0034.2016.0503.1003

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6770HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16270MB RAM

Page File: 3632MB used, 15582MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 580

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_193B&SUBSYS_20648086&REV_09

Display Memory: 8263 MB

Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

Shared Memory: 8135 MB

Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Dell U2711(DP)

Monitor Model: DELL U2711

Monitor Id: DELA057

Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)

Output Type: Displayport External

Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32

Driver File Version: 20.19.0015.4444 (English)

Driver Version: 20.19.15.4444

DDI Version: 12

Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1

Driver Model: WDDM 2.0

Graphics Preemption: Triangle

Compute Preemption: Thread

Miracast: Supported

Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated

Power P-states: Not Supported

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/22/2016 12:00:00 AM, 39505488 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-5A7B-11CF-6AF2-6B00B5C2D935}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x193B

SubSys ID: 0x20648086

Revision ID: 0x0009

Driver Strong Name: oem30.inf:5f63e5340a16bfea:iSKLD_w10:20.19.15.4444:pci\ven_8086&dev_193b

Rank Of Driver: 00D12001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                            rguevara

Hi cpratt,

I checked the sys info and I see nothing wrong there.

Are you working with Ray on this issue? I would appreciate if you keep the thread updated.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC BSOD / freezes
                              rguevara

Hi cpratt,

I just got an internal note saying that the issue is resolved now and that It was a positioning issue. 

There was no enough room for airflow and once the unit was moved everything is fine. Let me know if this is not right.

I am marking this is as correct answer for other customers reference.

Thanks,

Ronny G