11 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 10:55 AM by Intel Corporation

Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH

TicoJohn

I have been running Lubuntu for a couple of months and am in general very pleased with the NUC. However, I recently tried to install Debian Stretch from a USB device (I prefer Debian) and ran into a problem. On startup I see the Debian splash screen and am able to select the different options using the up/down arrows on my wireless keyboard (Logitec K400R). I can select the Graphical Install option and get to the next screen (Select Language). At that point the keyboard becomes totally unresponsive. I have read that there may be an issue with a BIOS setting whereby I need to set USB to a legacy mode. I just wonder why the keyboard would be okay at the splash (startup) screen but then become unresponsive. Is it more likely an issue with Debian or would it be a BIOS setting? I really don't want to do something that would cause problems with the Lubuntu installation.

By the way, I was trying to install the Debian OS to another USB device so as NOT to lose my existing Lubuntu installation.

As a side issue, when I have the NUC connected, via HDMI to my 43" Samsung TV I can NOT access the BIOS. Apparently this is a BIOS issue as it does not recognize the screen format. I would think that there would be a fallback mode to 1024x768. The TV specs say that it will work in that mode but I have no way to force that mode by user selection.

• 1. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
          TicoJohn

Having thought about this some more, it would be really strange if the inability to install Debian Stretch were a BIOS problem. I mean, why would the problem exist with Debian and not with Lubuntu (no problems installing 15.10). So it must be a Debian issue. I did report the situation to the Debian developers but never received an answer. However, if anybody has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

• 2. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
            TicoJohn

Well, I think I may have figured out the problem.  I have not turned off SECURE BOOT !  Ubuntu apparently has the proper signatures to use SECURE BOOT but Debian does not. DUMB ME !  I actually knew that. So, when I get around to hooking up the NUC to my desktop monitor (can't access BIOS when hooked to the large screen), I will turn off SECURE BOOT and see if that takes care of the issue. I suspect it will.  I will report back once I give that a try sometime in the next couple of days.

• 3. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
              TicoJohn

Well, that was not the problem. I had already turned off secure boot. However, I did see an error message when trying to run the Debian Stretch (Testing) installer.  The message was "failed to add i915 component master" . If I am correct this is a graphics driver needed for the HD 6000 graphics.  So, for the time being (and foreseeable future) I will have to be content with running Ubuntu on the NUC5i5RYH.

• 4. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi TicoJohn,

I suggest you to load defaults settings on BIOS, also make sure that you have the latest BIOS Version; after that try to install the OS again.
                This is the latest BIOS Version 0355 for your Intel® NUC5i5RYH
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25825/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=83255

Are you using straight connection (HDMI-HDMI)?

Do you get the same issue installing another OS?

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                  TicoJohn

Hellen, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have the NUC connected to my TV directly via HDMI. And I have installed Lubuntu 15.10 with no issues. 

My problem is with trying to install Debian Stretch (testing). It may be that the current release of Stretch does not have a Linux Kernel that supports the NUC5i5RYH chipset, but that seems a bit of a stretch (get it?). If I am correct, my NUC is using the 5250U CPU with HD 6000 graphics and the kernel for Stretch should be 4.2 or greater. I would think it would work as the kernel in Lubuntu 15.10 (when installed) was 4.2. . In any case, I have downloaded the latest BIOS (RY0355.BIO). Hopefully installing that will not cause problems with the current Lubuntu installation. Going to have to disconnect the NUC from my TV, and connect to my monitor, as I can't access BIOS when connected to the TV (screen resolution not recognized by the BIOS).

• 6. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                    TicoJohn

By the way, the only BIOS settings that were changed were to the default OS selection and to turn of Secure Boot.

Debian can not boot with Secure Boot and the OS selection needs to be Windows 8.1 for Linux. No other changes were made to the BIOS settings.

• 7. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                      TicoJohn

Hellen, I was just looking at the bios version on my NUC5i5ryh, using dmidecode -t bios,  and see that it is

Version: RYBDWi35.86A.0350.2015.0812.1722 . So it is obviously a bit out of date.

My questions are these: will the iflash version run okay on Linux? I know it says it will but just trying to confirm. And will it work okay even though the BIOS doesn't like my screen resolution, or should I hook the NUC up to my monitor via VGA??

• 8. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                        TicoJohn

This is interesting.

1.  I copied file RY0355.BIO to a clean USB memory stick.

2.  Hooked up the NUC to my monitor so I could access the bios.

3.  Booted the NUC and entered bios (F2) so I could check my settings.

4.  Installed the USB stick to a front port (tried both front ports) of the NUC and rebooted the NUC.

5.  On startup I pressed F2 so I could verify that nothing had changed.

6.  Pressed F7 and the USB stick was NOT shown in the list of mounted devices.

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe it's a higher power telling me to not try fix it when it ain't broken!

• 9. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                          Intel Corporation

TicoJohn,

Just to verify does your NUC works fine with the TV but with the monitor doesn’t, doesn’t it?
                          Also take a look on this steps they can help you. By the way try the USB with FAT32 format.
                          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005636.html

Regards,
                          Hellen.

• 10. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                            TicoJohn

Hellen, thanks for the feedback. The USB is formatted as FAT32. I can access BIOS when commected to the 19" monitor but NOT when connected to the 43" TV via HDMI (screen resolution is 1280x720 and apparrently not supported by the BIOS).

However, I did find a solution to installing Debian Stretch (Testing). The problem is that the standard Debian Stretch installation does not have all of the firmware required for the NUC515RYH. So I found a non-standard Debian installer (still from Debian) that includes the required firmware. The installation took a LONG time as I was installing to another USB device over the internet, because I did not want to destroy the current Ubuntu install on the HDD, but eventually it got there.

So I now have the solution.  Don't know if we can mark this as solved by ME, but please mark this as solved.

• 11. Re: Problem installing Debian Stretch(Testing) on NUC5I5RYH
                              Intel Corporation

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback TicoJohn,if there is anything else you need, please let me know.

Regards,
                              Hellen.