13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 1:17 PM by Intel Corporation

nuc6i5syh keyboards?

fugounashi

Are there any issues with keyboard support on the nuc6i5syh?

How well are Bluetooth keyboards supported? Can they be used in the BIOS? Can they wake from suspend?

How about USB keyboards? Is anything special required to wake from suspend? (E.g. can any port be used? Does the keyboard need to support any particular features?)

How about a Bluetooth or other wireless USB dongle?  Any issues with the BIOS or wake from suspend? Could it be connected to the internal headers?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
          atget

I'm using a Filco Bluetooth keyboard and Microsoft Bluetooth mouse with my NUC6i5. On the whole they work well. The problems are:

(1) Very occasionally both simultaneously suddenly drop their connections and the problem can't be corrected short of a reboot. To reboot I have to dig my old USB mouse and keyboard out of the closet and plug them in. A pain when it happens, and it often happens when I'm working to deadline. It happens with BIOS42 (haven't tried 44 yet) and Windows 10 Pro with all MS and Intel software (including Bluetooth driver) up to date as of about two weeks ago.

(2) You have to connect your USB mouse and keyboard in order to make BIOS adjustments.

(3) Very occasionally I get a series of letters typed as though a key were stuck. I suppose there's a chance that this is a problem with the keyboard but it's a high-quality keyboard (Cherry switched) and it certainly doesn't feel as though anything's sticking, so I suspect some sort of Bluetooth interference problem (the keyboard is about 24" from the NUC, albeit with the desktop between the two).

Edit: Went back and read your post. No issues with wake from sleep, and I use the 'Fn' - 'F12' combination marked on the keyboard to enter sleep. Both have worked flawlessly.

I'm sticking with this set up, hoping that some future software updates will end the disconnect problem. I very much enjoy not having two extra wires to deal with.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Fugounashi,

Please let me know if the information provided helps you.

Regards,
            Hellen.

• 3. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
              fugounashi

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure you can use bluetooth to wake from sleep, rather than just enter sleep mode?  From what I've read it doesn't seem to be supported.

I ended up getting a nuc6i5syh and a usb keyboard after finding out it is required for the bios.  It turns out a mouse isn't required to use the bios but I'm sure it'd make it easier!  It also seems that any usb activity would wake from suspend so the keyboard doesn't need to do anything special, and it looks like it'll work from any port.

As for your connection problems, I think I read somewhere about using a usb extension cable and a usb bluetooth dongle to avoid interference, but I might be mistaken.

Is your keyboard a Majestouch MINILA Air?  I'm considering that for a bluetooth keyboard...

Thanks.

• 4. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                Intel Corporation

Hi Fugounashi,

You can check on this Catalog, tested Hardware for the NUC.
                http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/desktops/nuc-ecosystem-enabling-technical-spec.html
                Hope this helps.

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi,

Thought I would just check in and find out if the information provided helps you.

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                    nucnuc6i3

I use a Microsoft Designer Bluetooth desktop (keyboard+mouse) in Windows 10, with the Nuc internal bluetooth. Works great, no connection drops so far. Wakes up my nuc6i3 from sleep, no problem. As stated, don't work in bios or in a Grub menu, which sucks.

• 7. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                      hegenious

I use a Logitech k830 living room keyboard which has a track pad. It works with the NUC internal Bluetooth. Not sure if BT works in the BIOS by default or if there is a BIOS setting you have to modify. Anyway I use the provided 'unifying' Logitech dongle because it has better range than BT and I also find it more reliable and it works in the BIOS and resume from sleep. Yes, even in grub because it's not depending on the BT driver to be loaded pre-OS. With the dongle, this KB behaves entirely as a wired USB KB.

• 8. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                        N.Scott.Pearson

I have a mini keyboard (see: Amazon.com: iPazzPort Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard and Multi-Touchpad) that I use with the built-in BT and it works well (actually better than with its dongle) in spite of my fat fingers. I have a more-normal size keyboard (see: Amazon.com: SIIG Wireless Multimedia Trackball Keyboard) that I use when I need to spend more time typing on this NUC. Like hegenious, I ended up going back to its dongle as it had better range. It is unclear to me why I see this discrepancy in range...

...S

• 9. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                          Intel Corporation

Hi all,

Thanks for the help, please let us know if this comments helped.

Regards,
                          Hellen.

• 10. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                            B96mike

no Bluetooth support at boot ,sucks for bios setup. but its the fact.

• 11. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                              Intel Corporation

Hi B69mike,

Do you need any assistance with this connection?
                              Please let me know in order to help you.
                              I would need your Bluetooth device model, Intel® NUC’s model and the bios version you are using.

Regards,
                              Hellen.

• 12. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                                B96mike

no more problem with Bluetooth the problem I do have is that I tried to do a recovery bios, I got bios 51 , put on usb , removed jumper and powered on and nuc615syh just booted to windows. I tried again but held power button in and I got menu ,1 option was F4 recovery bios, I pressed F4 and flash started but I got flash failed ...

tech info (0x000000000000007,0) .all were flashed ok except management engine firmware failed . I was able to do F7 bios update to ver 51 when I built my NUC6i5syh but I read I had to do a recovery bios update with jumper removed to be able to get benefit of high speed on my Samsung 951 m2 drive. I read and saw video on recovery bios update and did everything it said/showed but with power up no recovery bios. Also in pictures of bios jumper installed and removed in instructions it shows the jumper on the opposite pins that my Nuc6i5syh was shipped to me. thank you any help would be great!

• 13. Re: nuc6i5syh keyboards?
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi B96mike,

I notice you have opened a new thread with thin information, and you mention it was already fixed.

Recovery Bios-with Jumper
                                  If there is anything else you need, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,
                                  Hellen.