2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 5:18 AM by nkamp

NAS SS4000-E Advise which kind of raid should I use

nkamp

Hello,

I know I should make my own decission but maybe can someone give me some advice. I'm using the nas as a 'family' nas. I have 6 users (6 family members) and the following folders:

- pictures (everybody R/W)

- MyMovies (8 mm films)

- software backups

- etc.

- home

- public

- usbdisk1

- usbdisk2

Questions:

- I have used RAID5 with 1 spare but I don't know if this is the best solution for this situation.I see know that the three disks are not hot-swapable. But is that a problem? Why should I want that they are hot swapble? I thought that Raid5 then the disks are hot swapble... Is that better?

- When should I use the public folder or what is the goal of the public folder?

- Toshiba USB HDD 500 GB Hard Drive, 3,5'' ( PX1394E-3G50 ). This has a 'bridge', but is not recognized bij the NAS. An 'normal' usb doesn't give a problem. The NAS recognizes the bridge of the USB external hard disk but it is 'outgrayed'. Has anyone an idea why it is not recognized by the NAS?

Thanks in advance.

Nico

• 1. Re: NAS SS4000-E Advise which kind of raid should I use
          Dan_O

1)  RAID 5 has nothing to do with hot-swap.  The unit itself does support hot-swapping drives, though.  See the user guide at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4000-e/sb/CS-022215.htm

2)  The 'public' folder is just the default shared folder.  See the above user guide for that, too.

3)  Check http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4000-e/sb/CS-022212.htm for the list of hard drives that the NAS will recognize

• 2. Re: NAS SS4000-E Advise which kind of raid should I use
            nkamp

Oke, I'm futher.

point 1:

- Raid 0 and 1 seems to me no option to use it. In this situation you use the nas more as disk space but not for data protecting against loss.

- Raid5 seems to me the best solution. The data is protected agains lost and you have the most space available. If the NAS is not a week available because of 1 disk is corrupt is for me not such a problem.

- Raid5 + Spare is more or less the same as Raid 5 but this configuration must be used if you must deliver 24x7h support.

- Raid 10 I don't know in which situation this should be used.

Point 2:

- What I don't understand what kind of data should I put in this partition? Of become this partition only important when you use active directory authentication? And wherefore then?

- OR when you want to use FTP, is it only possible to access the public folder by FTP?

- AND is it then so, when you create user account, this user get also a part of the public partition like the home partition?

Point 3:

I don't think that it is the HDD but the 'electronics' around the harddisk. Because USB = USB seems to me? Or is the external HDD to big (500Gb)? I think I'm not the first one with such problem or....

Sorry, I like to understand why such a things work or doesn't work?

Nico.