6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 10:30 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor

eXpress91

Hey guys

I'm planning to buy a Intel NUC as HTPC. My Problem is, that my Home-Cinema only has a Optical Audio Input (Toslink). The Second Problem is, that my TV does not passtrough a 5.1 Signal from HDMI out of the Optical Output to the Home-Cinema System.

To solve this, I'm planning to buy a HDMI Audio Extractor and use it the following way:

NUC --> HDMI Audio Extractor --> HDMI to TV

\--> Toslink to Home Cinema

Has anyone a similar setup or could confirm that the above should work with DD 5.1? I read in some other threads about problems, when the TV is reporting via EDID that it is not capable of 5.1. In that case though, the NUC was directly attached via HDMI to the TV, which is not the case here.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi eXpress91,

I recommend you to get a high speed HDMI 1.4b cable to better resolution, also you could verify if your Home Cinema is compatible with Windows® 10.
          We cannot confirm you that this connection would work, because we haven’t tested this model yet, and please let me know the results of this configuration.

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor
            Intel Corporation

Hi eXpress91,

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to make this configuration.

Regards,
            Hellen.

• 3. Re: NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor
              Hardzsi

Hi!

I confirm, could successfully setup such a configuration you described a few days ago!

As an HDMI Audio Extractor i used a SpeaKa Professional 29063c25, but there's a whole lot of distributors sell a similar equipment in the same package and possibly the same electronics inside, but under different names. I just choose this one, because it was cheap and easily accessible in Hungary.

My setup: NUC -- (10m HDMI 1.4 cable) --> Extractor -- (1.5m HDMI 1.4 cable) --> Panasonic Plasma TV

\--- (2m Toslink) -------------> Yamaha 5.1 Receiver

I used it so far plaing movies through VLC (Dolby Digital and DTS also works), but MPC-HC and Kodi should be also fine. The tricky part is, that YOU HAVE TO SWITCH 5.1 AUDIO INSERTION IN in VLC (and i guess also in MPC-HC and Kodi) so that multichannel audio to be inserted into the HDMI signal!

Until that, you'll get only stereo output...

I found that hint on some forum: "By default, VLC doesn't bitstream surround sound; that's your problem. In the VLC preferences, select the option to view "all" preferences. Then, click on Audio, and check the box that says "Use S/PDIF when available". That should set it up so that VLC bitstreams the DTS track to your receiver. You'll need to restart VLC for the change to take effect."

Under MPC-HC i guess it's in Options > Internal Filters ...

I'm a bit upset, that this multichannel audio setup is so hidden in the menu structure of both VLC and MPC-HC, because this should be the default setup or should at least appear as some obvious switch in the main menu of these media players...

• 4. Re: NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor
                Intel Corporation

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback; also I would like to know the model of the NUC you are using with this configuration.

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor
                  Hardzsi

Sorry, it's a NUC6i5SYH, but i guess any Skylake NUC is appropriate.

Also, i would like to note, that such configuration is intended for transfering up to Full-HD resolution and listening only in Dolby Digital and DTS, but not any later, higher-resolution sound formats.

After a possible 4K TV investment, and for transfering 4K@60 and hi-res sound, a miniDP to HDMI 2.0 converter (like this), HDMI 2.0 cables, replacing the old amplifier with a HDMI 2.0-capable one and chaining the cables through it would be more appropriate and straightforward setup.

• 6. Re: NUC with HDMI Audio Extractor
                    Intel Corporation

Sure, Thanks Hardzsi, for the update.
                    Regards,
                    Hellen.