10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 1:24 PM by Intel Corporation

Failing to Flash Edison breakout board

Trinity

Failed to load Kernel modules during flash the device, how do I recover to a stable image?

Venkat

Was able to see my new Edison as another drive once (Windows 10, 64bit ).

Documentation suggested that I "Run Setup Tool" - IoT - Step 2: Run Setup Tool | Intel® Software

Set up tool failed to flash the device and suggested I flash manually.

flashall.bat from Widows command window failed.

Tried Intel Phone Flash Tool Light 5.2.4.0

Goes file till 71%, and waiting for the board to come up and times out and puts out failed messages.

On Console first set of Failures are :

Starting kernel ...

[    0.769026] pca953x 1-0020: failed reading register
      [    0.772762] pca953x 1-0021: failed reading register
      [    0.778713] pca953x 1-0022: failed reading register
      [    0.779094] pca953x 1-0023: failed reading register
      [    1.645909] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Error reading battery profile from battid frmwrk
      [    1.654884] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Battery Over heat exception
      [    1.664510] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Battery0 temperature outside boundary

Then the second Failure is:

[  OK  ] Started Apply Kernel Variables.

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details.

Third:

OK  ] Reached target Bluetooth.

[FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service.

See 'systemctl status systemd-hostnamed.service' for details.

I am sure it is in bad state by then on the board.

On the Tool the error is:

05/15/16 09:27:29.738  INFO   : [Port 1/2] Command `Sleeping for 5 seconds` succeed

05/15/16 09:27:29.738  INFO   : [Port 1/2] Running `Wait for device with status pos on port 1/2` command

05/15/16 09:29:09.738  ERROR  : [Port 1/2] Command `Wait for device with status pos on port 1/2` failed

05/15/16 09:29:09.738  ERROR  : [Port 1/2] Flash failed (Command type: Device enumeration)

• 1. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Trinity,

If you have already tried to recover your board using flashall and Flash Tool Lite, then there's a last option, you could try to recover your board with Flashall.sh and pre-built xFSTK. You can find how to do it in https://communities.intel.com/thread/56133?tstart=0.

Try it and let me know how it goes.
          Peter.

• 2. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
            Intel Corporation

Hello Trinity,

Do you still need help? Were you able to recover your board using the Flashall.sh and pre-built xFSTK method?

Peter.

• 3. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
              Trinity

Tried with Ubintu on VirtualBox. As my Windows is not detecting the Edison board on my USB port, not sure how Ubuntu will on the Virtual Box connects to it, but tried the steps in the link any way.

Few things are different from the link with the suggested solution: Can't cd toFlash and the install.sh did not support -b

Here is the log:

venkat@venkat-VirtualBox:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$ sudo ./flashall.sh
              Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc
              Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99
              Please plug and reboot the board
              Timed out while waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99
              DEBUG: lsusb
              Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.
              Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
              Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              DEBUG: dfu-util -l
              dfu-util 0.5

(C) 2005-2008 by Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
              (C) 2010-2011 Tormod Volden (DfuSe support)
              This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

dfu-util does currently only support DFU version 1.0

Did you plug and reboot your board?
              If yes, please try a recovery by calling this script with the --recovery option
              venkat@venkat-VirtualBox:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$ sudo ./flashall.sh --recovery
              Starting Recovery mode
              Flashing IFWI
              ./flashall.sh: line 94: /usr/bin/xfstk-dldr-solo: No such file or directory
              Xfstk tool error
              DEBUG: lsusb
              Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.
              Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
              Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
              DEBUG: dfu-util -l
              dfu-util 0.5

venkat@venkat-VirtualBox:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$

• 4. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                Trinity

Tried the whole thing again On Ubuntu on Virtual Box. Failed to dpkg xfstk. with the following error:

venkat@venkat-VirtualBox:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$ sudo dpkg -i xfstk-downloader_1.7.2_all.deb

[sudo] password for venkat:

(Reading database ... 166064 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack xfstk-downloader_1.7.2_all.deb ...

Unpacking xfstk-downloader (0.0.0) over (0.0.0) ...

Setting up xfstk-downloader (0.0.0) ...

udev start/running, process 2397

udev start/running, process 2402

Processing triggers for doc-base (0.10.5) ...

Processing 1 changed doc-base file...

Error in `/usr/share/doc-base/xfstk-downloader', line 20: all `Format' sections are invalid.

Note: `install-docs --verbose --check file_name' may give more details about the above error.

Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...

Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.1+14.04.20140409-0ubuntu1) ...

Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...

Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) ...

venkat@venkat-VirtualBox:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$

• 5. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                  Trinity

Tried Ubuntu 32bit on a USB stick as the link suggested. No luck in making it work.

I tried every combination of Windows, set up tool, the lite tool, Ubuntu 64 bit on Virtual box and Ubuntu 32bit on a USB.

Flash.log :

** Flashing Edison Board Sat May 28 21:08:26 UTC 2016 **
                  Cannot open device
                  dfu-util 0.5

Filter on vendor = 0x8087 product = 0x0a99
                  Opening DFU USB device... Cannot open device
                  dfu-util 0.5

I thought everything is fine based on this console log from Ubuntu 32 bit on a USB stick. Edison board is in the same shape with same serious failures during the boot, cant load kernel etc. as in the original post:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$ ./flashall.sh

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Flashing IFWI

Flashing U-Boot

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Rebooting to apply partition changes

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 5 minutes... Please be patient)

Rebooting

U-boot & Kernel System Flash Success...

Your board needs to reboot to complete the flashing procedure, please do not unplug it for 2 minutes.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$

dpks of xfstk is always giving the same error on both Ubuntu64 on Virtual box and Ubuntu 32 on USP stick:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$ sudo dpkg -i xfstk-downloader_1.7.2_all.deb

(Reading database ... 176059 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack xfstk-downloader_1.7.2_all.deb ...

Unpacking xfstk-downloader (0.0.0) over (0.0.0) ...

Setting up xfstk-downloader (0.0.0) ...

udev start/running, process 4437

udev start/running, process 4442

Processing triggers for doc-base (0.10.5) ...

Processing 1 changed doc-base file...

Error in `/usr/share/doc-base/xfstk-downloader', line 20: all `Format' sections are invalid.

Note: `install-docs --verbose --check file_name' may give more details about the above error.

Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...

Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.1+14.04.20140409-0ubuntu1) ...

Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...

Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) ...

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$ uname -a

Linux ubuntu 4.2.0-27-generic #32~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 22 15:32:27 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Edison/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315$

• 6. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Trinity,

I would like to have some more information about the issue. Some more details about it, could you please answer the following questions?

1. Is this happening since the first time you used the board? Or have you been able to use this port before?
                    2. On Windows, are you able to see something on the Device Manager related to the device? Maybe in “Other Devices”.
                    3. Are you using the Breakout Board or the Arduino Expansion Board?
                    4. How are you powering your Edison, via USB only or with an external power supply? I’m wondering if this could also be a lack of power issue.
                    5. When you tried to connect your Edison using the Virtual Machine, did it get recognized by the OS? I’m not clear about this.
                    6. Have you tried using different USB cables? Some USB cables are not supposed to be used to connect devices to your computer e.g: the ones for rechargeable batteries and such.  
                    Regards,
                    Pablo
                    • 7. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                      Trinity
                      1. I saw the board as a new drive next to c: only once, the very first time.
                        I did not have console connection at the time, so I do not know if it booted
                        without any problems at the time. I ran the set up tool as instructed by the
                        website, and since then I did not see my windows recognize this as a
                        new drive. I am using the same USB ports for consistency.
                      2. Under device manager, under Intel SOC, I see DnX USB driver always. When
                        I insert Edison, I see the screen refresh and a new device Merrifield Device
                        appears. The screen refreshes again and I see the Merrifield Device once more.
                        Thired time the screen refreshes and the Merrifield Device disappears and back
                        to only DnX USB driver.
                      3. It is a 2”x1” Intel Edison mini break out kit, has no dedicated power, no
                        Arduino board.
                      4. This board has no dedicated power, same cable for power and data. I used
                        3 different cables (of different length) to make sure there are no power/data
                        issues. I use the cables that come with SAMSUNG latest phones.  I connect it to one of the USB ports on my laptop
                        (which is connected to power). Could not find a way to connect the power to the
                        board as well as connect a data cable, the same port is used for both, it
                        seems.
                      5. I tried from Windows, Ubuntu 64 on Virtual box, Ubuntu 32 on a USB stick.
                        Attached logs to previous posts. Did not dig in to whether VM is recognizing the
                        device or not. I just followed instructions at the link.
                      6. Using latest SAMSUNG phone charging cable that is used for data transfer
                        also. Used 3 different cables of different lengths. The LEDs are glowing well
                        and console is getting all the right messages except the mail 3 problems of
                        some register failures (see below), “Failed to start Load Kernel Modules” to
                        load kernel and eventually unable to star hostname service.

Starting kernel ...

[    0.766763] pca953x 1-0020: failed
                      reading register

[    0.772017] pca953x 1-0021: failed
                      reading register

[    0.777079] pca953x 1-0022: failed
                      reading register

[    0.782195] pca953x 1-0023: failed
                      reading register

[    1.675739] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm:
                      Error reading battery profile from battid frmwrk

[    1.684251] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm:
                      Battery Over heat exception

Welcome to Linux!

• 8. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Trinity,

I believe there might be an issue with your board. We would like to take a closer look at your case, so I would like to ask you to submit an email to this form: https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US. In the email's description, please explain everything you've tried so far, we will reply to your email as soon as possible.

Peter.

• 9. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                          Trinity

I do not know what else I could add other than what is in this thread. This already has what I tried in order with all the logs. I could cut and paste the same in to a case.

• 10. Re: Failing to Flash Edison breakout board
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Trinity,

Yes, you can put a link to this thread and mention that I recommended you to submit the email. We should be able to help you if you make an inquiry from the form I posted above.

Peter.