1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 12:23 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7kyk - USB Support

Rick11

I received my NUC today and was attempting to install Windows 7.  I was able to use a Logitech wireless KB and Mouse to get into the bios, but they aren't recognized when Windows tries to install.  I used the tool from the Intel NUC driver page to update the installation to include the USB 3.0 drivers.  That works initially, but when the system reboots and asks you to name the PC, the devices are no longer recognized.  Anyone know of a work around for this issue?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
          N.Scott.Pearson

I ran into this issue. I found that inserting an older USB 3.0 driver (i.e. I used the USB tool to insert the older version) got me going. Remember that, once you have updated installation media with drivers (USB or otherwise), you cannot do it again. You must go back and load the original ISO onto the flash disk again and then run the tool.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Rick11, please keep us updated on the steps advised by Pearson.

Regards,
            Esteban C

• 3. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
              Rick11

I made a new USB install last night and applied the Intel update tool, I received the same results.  When windows installs and it asks you to name the pc, there is no usb support anymore.  I also tried to inject the drivers into the install.wim and boot.wim via a DISM GUI tool, that did not work either.  I am not sure what to do.  I will try to do a new install tonight and use DISM GUI tool again unless there are any other ideas.

Thank you for the support.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                femton

Will it not help if you use a non-wireless keyboard and then install Windows, and then start in safe mode F8 to remove the USB3 driver and then restart and go back to the wireless keyboard and let Windows update find and install the the drivers before any restart which can take very long?

• 6. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                  det_bradlee

It doesn't matter that the device is wireless. The Logitech devices use a proprietary protocol that pairs automatically with their USB dongle, and are detected simply as USB devices by the host machine. The problem isn't with the keyboard being wireless, it's with it being USB.

Also, if you can't interact with the OS in the first place, then you can't install the NIC drivers needed to get online or configure the first run of Windows Update.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                    femton

Yes, I realize now that wireless is not what matters and thus Windows cannot be installed and the problem cannot be solved in the way I thought.

Thanks for good input (for me).

• 8. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Rick,

Try this:

1. Download Intel Insertion tool and extract the ZIP file to folder named "Dest".
                      2. Download the latest available USB 3.0 driver package (v4.0.4.51) and extract the ZIP file to folder named "Src".
                      3. Delete the contents of folder "Dest\USB_3.0_Win7_64_4.0.0.36\Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver PV 4.0.0.36\Drivers".
                      4. Copy the contents of folder "Src\USB_3.0_Win7_x64_4.0.4.51\Drivers" to "Dest\USB_3.0_Win7_64_4.0.0.36\Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver PV 4.0.0.36\Drivers".
                      5. Using your original Windows 7 ISO file, format and load a new USB flash drive.
                      6. Use the contents of the "Dest" folder to insert the USB 3.0 driver into the install image on the new USB flash drive (8GB min size).
                      7. (Optional Step) Copy all of the applicable (32- or 64-bit) Windows 7 driver packages to a folder (I named it "Drivers") on the USB flash drive. For all that come as ZIP file, extract their contents to a subfolder (below "Drivers") on the USB flash drive (so you don't have to screw around with ZIP files on the target).
                      8. Install Windows 7 using this new USB flash drive.
                      9. (Optional Step) Use the Windows 7 Driver packages you copied onto the USB flash drive to install all other necessary drivers.

Hope this helps,

...Scott

• 9. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you Pearson for the assistance on this.

Look forward to hearing from you and the outcome on this Rick11.

Regards,
                        Esteban C

• 10. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                          Rick11

I will.  I hope to have some time to go through everything again this weekend.  I will be sure to update you all as I greatly appreciate the support.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                            rguevara

Hi,

I would also recommend that you use the Microsoft* USB/DVD creation tool Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store

Other tools have given me trouble before.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 12. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you for your input on this rguevara.

Please provide us with the outcome after using the tool recommended, peers.

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 13. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                                alswain

Fixed

This was a tough one

The Intel Win 7 USB 3 tool and DSM GUI both install the usb drivers to  sources/boot.wim but fail to install them to  sources/install.wim.

Because of that you can install the files but after reboot you are halted at user and computer names screen.

A program that can install them to install.wim is NTLite. The instructions I used are at [Guide] Integration of drivers into a Win7/8/10 image

I followed the instructions, installed the drivers into install.wim and was able to get into windows 7.

UPDATE

Using NTLite to add the USB3 drivers did get me all of the way into Windows 7 with USB support but when I installed the chipset drivers I lost USB, so no mouse or keyboard.

Still trying.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7kyk - USB Support
                                  Rick11

I am still stuck.  I recreated a few flash drives and tried to update the drivers in the .wim to no avail.  I had used this same flash drive to install onto a NUC5i7RYH, so I hope it is not a compatibility issue.  I will try NTLite next.

Have people successfully been installing windows 7 on this unit?  I would think that it shouldn't be this difficult.

Thanks.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next