2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 12:57 PM by Intel Corporation

Direction of Galileo efforts

Jacek_J

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Galileo so I'm sorry if my questions are straightforward for most of you.

So far I put many processors to the test but none of them was OS-based so this kind of programming is pretty new for me. Yocto seems to be very nice option to start with - but so far, I used various Eclipse-based IDEs to write, compile and debug my source code with the suitable JTAG device. Here, in Galileo with Yocto OS, this chain looks different to me - first, I should choose, modify and download to the board the suitable Linux kernel (e.g with the SD card). Secondly, set up a serial terminal to connect the console. It looks that through the console, I can control the entire hardware, send, compile and launch tasks etc. If that's true, why do I really need any IDE like ISS or Eclipse?

In some RTOSs, the parameters, start and control of OS must be specified as a part of application written in the respective IDE. Here, predefined Yocto basis is launched from the SD card and it runs the entire board. Now, even if I use the ISS, am I supposed to write and send to the board the application containing the new OS parameters and its relaunch (i.e. rewriting the entire Quark's program memory) or just the particular task that would be executed under the OS launched directly from the SD card?

I know some aspects could be explained in vivo, but I've some issues installing the ISS...

Thank you very much in advance!

Jacek

• 1. Re: Direction of Galileo efforts
          FGT

Hi Jacek_J,

Jacek_J wrote:

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Galileo so I'm sorry if my questions are straightforward for most of you.

So far I put many processors to the test but none of them was OS-based so this kind of programming is pretty new for me. Yocto seems to be very nice option to start with - but so far, I used various Eclipse-based IDEs to write, compile and debug my source code with the suitable JTAG device. Here, in Galileo with Yocto OS, this chain looks different to me - first, I should choose, modify and download to the board the suitable Linux kernel (e.g with the SD card). Secondly, set up a serial terminal to connect the console. It looks that through the console, I can control the entire hardware, send, compile and launch tasks etc. If that's true, why do I really need any IDE like ISS or Eclipse?

I think that using some IDE would reduce the developing time. Thus, about "really need"... well... I think you can avoid using (i.e. "not really need") pretty much everything, but your work would not be as simple as with some IDE at hand.

In some RTOSs, the parameters, start and control of OS must be specified as a part of application written in the respective IDE. Here, predefined Yocto basis is launched from the SD card and it runs the entire board. Now, even if I use the ISS, am I supposed to write and send to the board the application containing the new OS parameters and its relaunch (i.e. rewriting the entire Quark's program memory) or just the particular task that would be executed under the OS launched directly from the SD card?

The whole point of using an IDE is to avoid solving issues like this one. Anyways, all of the IDEs I know of (mostly Arduino and Intel XDK) let you focus on the specific task/application you need to run in the Galileo card (i.e. they send/write the just the particular trask that would be executed).

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Direction of Galileo efforts
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Jacek_J,

You can use the Galileo board from the console and write the C/C++ scripts (Python or Node.js as well) without an IDE. The purpose of the IDE (Eclipse for example) is to provide an extra tool to allow users to write code using a friendly interface. However, if you prefer writing your scrips directly in the console, you can do it with no problems.

Galileo doesn't run an RTOS. The OS used is Yocto and the script you upload from the IDE (or run directly from the console) will be executed as an additional task by the OS.

Regards,
            Diego