2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 2:01 AM by Nezdreg

Using the PCIe half-length port on the NUC D54250WYK

Nezdreg

hi,

I am wanting to expand the memory on my D54250WYK.

Currently the 'full-length' PCIe port is connected to a 60GB SSD and the 'half-length' PCIe port is connected to a WiFi card. I was wondering whether I could essentially replace the WiFi card with an additional SSD?

Some forums online implied that this wasn't possible. Anyone know if it is?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Using the PCIe half-length port on the NUC D54250WYK
          N.Scott.Pearson

No, unfortunately, you cannot. Only the full-length slot includes the SATA lane that is necessary for a mSATA SSD to be added.

What you might be able to do (though I rather doubt if there is really enough room inside the "K" chassis to attempt this) is purchase a SATA to mSATA board, attach your second mSATA SSD to this board and then connect it to the additional SATA port on the D54250WY board. Another option might be to contact Intel Customer Support and find out if you can get a bare "H" chassis and move your board into it).

Frankly, this isn't really worth it. Your best bet is to get a good external USB 3.0 HDD and use it. For even better performance (though likely more expensive), get a external USB 3.0 to SATA chassis and put a SSHD into it.

...S

• 2. Re: Using the PCIe half-length port on the NUC D54250WYK
            Nezdreg

I thought that was the case.

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the options you mentioned