3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 2:09 PM by Dan_O

NAS4000-E FTP access from outside my homenetwork

nkamp

Hello,

Can anyone say to me how I can reach with FTP my NAS from outside my homenetwork?

I mean I have made a 'shared folder' named nico_ftp. And if I'm on my work how can I reach my nico_ftp shared folder? I have a router (even two but on one the DHCP server is active, and the other one is more or less a switch), but what kind of ftp adress do I have to fill in?

Can someone help me with this subject? I don't have much knowledge of networks and that kind of things but I hope that someone can give me a direction which way I have to go.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: NAS4000-E FTP access from outside my homenetwork
          Dan_O

Setup for FTP server is also in the User Guide - see my reply to your previous post

• 2. Re: NAS4000-E FTP access from outside my homenetwork
            nkamp

Hello,

But I don't think that is written how to achieve my NAS from outside my homenetwork domain, or.... did I miss something?

By the way, is it with FTP only possible to access the data/dirs from the different users in the public folder? Or can any shared folder of the NAS be accessed by FTP?

I like to put some tools on the NAS. And if I need this anywhere in the world, I log on to my NAS and download the specific tool.

I'm sure, there is nothing written in the manual about how to configure the router if you want to access data from outside my own homenetwork. And of course, the router is not a part of the NAS, but I think if the user has have a NAS and there is FTP server on it, he wants to reach this data from outside his own homenetwork, or...? Wherefore should he otherwise needs FTP or what is advantage of FTP if you can only use it in you're own homenetwork?

Nico

• 3. Re: NAS4000-E FTP access from outside my homenetwork
              Dan_O

Correct - the user guide for the NAS won't show you how to set up port forwarding on your router.  You'd have to consult your router's user guide for that.