1 2 3 Previous Next 179 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2016 9:43 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?

six-h

I am not very clever with PC's, I have "recycled the odd one installing Linux", but if things don't go as expected, then I'm hevily reliant upon the kindness and help of more knowledgeable folks!

I bought a "Full Version" of Windows 8.1 intending to install it on my machine and upgrade to "W10".

I'm told that my current machine circa 2007 would struggle with "W10", and I should invest in some up to date hardware!

I want to build an NUC6i5SYH and was thinking of using these parts:-

FROM VARIOUS DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS:-

NUC6i5SYH NUC Kit Core i5-6260U – (BOXNUC6I5SYH)   Laptops Direct         £320.97...(delivery £2.92)

HyperX Impact 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 SODIMM Memory Kit (2 x 4 GB)

(Overclockers ..1pr)                                                                                               £29.99...(delivery £4.66)

Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance SSD (Scan)                  £59.94 ...(delivery £4.79)

Seagate SSHD 1TB Hybrid SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" 5400RPM 8GB    (Novatech)             £71.99

Total:-                                                                             £495.26 (Inc Dly cost)

I understand that driver packs can be downloaded from Drivers & Software but I'm not sure which "pack" I would need, and if that is all the drivers I would need.

Particularly regarding the WiFi driver from accounts that I have read!

I am particularly scared about the issues I have heard of concerning the BIOS versions which have had problems, ...I understand versions are now in the 40's!!

I have an "Internal" DVD (PATA) and I also have an IDE/USB converter plug which I use for accessing unmounted PATA Drives, would this be OK to use in order to install my Win 8.1 from the DVD?

Can anyone help and advise me please?

I would be most grateful.

• 1. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
          Waterbaby

It seems like a good build. It depends on what you intend to do with the machine.

I went with 16GB of RAM, and my second drive was a small 256GB SSD. But I use mine for mostly Plex and video conversion. All my movies are on a RAID drive. I also hang a 2TB WD external drive off of one of the USB 3.0 ports for "offline" needs.

I don't know about the DVD drive. As long as the box can see it on the USB as a bootable drive, it should work.

• 2. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
            N.Scott.Pearson

The only change to your order I would suggest is to switch to the 2TB SSHD (it doesn't cost all that much more).

After you get it, install RAM and then immediately upgrade to the latest available BIOS.

Don't be scared; everything will be ok. There is a lot of FUD out there - and, unfortunately, a lot of idiots who try to rush ahead and do not follow (or ignore) the instructions and thus end up with a mess. Just ignore most of it. Read these documents before anything else:

BIOS Update Instructions for Intel NUC

BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel NUC

Tested Peripherals for Intel NUC NUC6i3SY/NUC6i5SY    

System Memory for Intel NUC Kits NUC6i3SY/NUC6i5SY

Starting with Windows 8.1 and going to Windows 10 complicates things. You are going to have to download and install drivers for Windows 8.1 and then, after upgrading to Windows 10, download and install drivers for Windows 10. Here is a list of the drivers you should download and install. You'll need versions for both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (luckily, its the same one in many cases):

Download Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC

Download Serial IO: Intel® Serial IO Driver for Intel® NUC6i[x]SY

Download Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Intel® NUC

Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* and Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

Download Intel® Gigabit Network Connection Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

Download Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

Download Bluetooth: Intel Bluetooth® Technology-Based Driver for Intel® NUC

Download Realtek ALC* Audio Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

Download Infrared: ITE Tech* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Windows 8.1* for Intel® NUC

Download Infrared: ITE Tech* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Windows 10* for Intel® NUC

For Windows 8.1, there is one unique package:

Download USB 3.0: Intel® USB 3.0 Host Controller Adaptation Driver for Windows 8.1*

There are a few optional packages that you can also install, depending upon your setup and desires:

Download Intel® Remote Keyboard Host App (if you want to control your new PC from your smartphone)

Download Intel® Ready Mode Technology for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

Download Near Field Communication GPIO driver for Windows 7*/8.1* for Intel® NUC (if you purchase the lid supporting it)

Download Near Field Communication GPIO driver for Win10* for NUC6i[x]SY (ditto)

Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY and NUC6i7KYK

When you upgrade to Windows 10, the Windows 10 installer will install some of the drivers. Best plan is to ignore this and install all of the drivers you have downloaded.

I use old PATA and SATA DVD drives with USB adapters all the time; you shouldn't have any issues using these.

Hope this helps,

...S

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
              six-h

Thanks Waterbaby, that was a quicker than expected reply!

This will replace my current day to day workhorse machine, and will be much more powerful! ...I hope!

Currently using an Asus P5Q3Ap @n MB with an E8400 CPU and just 2GB RAM, almost crippled using Vista 32bit.

I do have what I call "The Beast" which is a Medion Erazer Lappy with 16GB RAM a 120GB SSD and 750GB conventional drive.

It's currently upgrqaded from Win 8 to Win 8.1 and soon to be Win10.

To be honest, it scares me a bit 'cos I really haven't yet got to grips with having two Hard drives, let alone one being an SSD!

Hoping to order these bits and that they will all play nicely, ...I have heard cases where some bits are "spat out" by the CPU as not recognised.

I 'm hoping that I won't have such problems, or at least, that someone here could guide me through!

Time is a bit short as I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks, then I want to get it running so that I can do the upgrade to Win 10 before June 29th!

• 4. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                six-h

Wow, thank you N. Scott Pearson, This is just the kind of expert help I'm going to need!

You have given me a lot to digest, I'm going off to a dark room to try and understand it all!

Good idea regarding the SSHD, but I can't find any 2.5 inch 2TB SSHD's !

Can you recommend any?

The double trouble with drivers will cause me sleepless nights!

I have no idea how to install drivers!

Off to read up on your links!

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, I could have sworn that Seagate had a 2.5" 2TB SSHD, but I can't find it now...

Note my article here: Using Intel Smart Response Technology with the NUC. I detail how you can use a portion of your SSD as a high-speed cache for your HDD (which is effectively the same as having a SSHD). The difference is that there are definitely 2TB 2.5" HDDs available (in fact, there's even a couple of 2.5" 3TB and 4TB drives available)...

The drivers come as either a simple executable or as a ZIP file. For the ZIP files, extract all files (retaining directory structure) and then run executable in root folder (it's usually named Setup.exe). In either case, if there are any configuration screens offered by the installer, simply install with defaults (i.e. do next, next, next...).

What I do is create USB disks with Windows installers on them and add a folder containing all of the drivers (with ZIP files already extracted). This way, you can install the O/S and then the drivers without worrying about changing media, etc.

...S

• 6. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                    six-h

Wow! Scott, I've just downloaded and attempted to read your PDF on using SRT, I only wish I could fully understand it all but sadly it is mostly way beyond my capability!

Hat's off to guys like you, I can't understand how the industry allows guys with such relevant skills as yours to retire!

I think I'll have to be satisfied with just the 1TB SSHD for now and maybe upgrade to a 2TB as and when they hit the market.

"Keep It Simple Stupid" as I was taught by CDC way back in 1978!

Having purchased this "Full  Version" of Win 8.1, on DVD at a reduced price, I'm determined to make good use of it! (We pensioners don't like to waste money! )

I have no experience of installing Windows Operating Systems since doing a clean install of XP on an old Clevo laptop years ago.

Despite having excellent help on that occasion too, I recall it as a long and unnecessarily arduous experience!

Am I going to find Windows 8.1 a similarly daunting task, ...and then once more with "W10"?

Your advice concerning installation of drivers already has me confused.

"What I do is create USB disks with Windows installers on them and add a folder containing all of the drivers (with ZIP files already extracted). This way, you can install the O/S and then the drivers without worrying about changing media, etc."

This sounds like you have put a Windows Operating System ISO onto a USB Stick.

I don't understand what "Windows Installers" are, but it sounds as if you have it all automated!

How I wish I could do this!

I haven't even managed to install Linux from a USB Stick, successfully, ...run a live session from USB yes, but not an install

• 7. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                      neily

Hi,

How's it going? Have u already got your NUC setup?

I was also apprehensive, although not a complete novice, I know my why around a pc. But I never built or put together a barebones PC before. So all of the above info would have been very helpful to me.

I watched a video on youtube that helped a lot, although the model of NUC is different and the other bits of hardware, the principle is the same, except that u want to install Win 8 first and upgrade to Win 10.

Anyway watch the video, I just hope it wont confuse u more? There are loads of other videos there too:-

Intel NUC - Step by Step DIY HTPC With Windows 10 Clean Install, Emulators and Steam Streaming! - YouTube

• 8. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                        six-h

Hi Neily, Thanks for that video, I have been wanting to build one of these since last November, just waiting for the Skylake CPU's to appear, then with all the BIOS problems being reported, it kinda scared me off, but now it seems to have settled down I'm ready to buy and get started!

I'm particularly encouraged by having contact with this forum and such relevantly experienced  guys like N. Scott Pearson, what could go wrong!

My own PC hardware experience has just been in receiving fairly old kit from Freecycle and getting them running with a copy of Linux and passing them on to other "old gits" like myself who maybe could not afford to buy a machine and just want to stay in touch with friends, family and the world in general.

I found it very gratifying.

I'm so pleased to have found my way here, as there are so many other sites out there with well meaning folks offering advice but they don't have any depth of experience to back it up!

I've looked at several videos, mainly little more than unboxing and assembly which really isn't what you need!

This is something  I think I'll find very useful in conjunction with the advice and links offered by Scott.

Thanks again.

I'm currently reading through the links which Scott provided, and I think that will take me most of today!

Armed with what information it is possible to retain in this old brain, I hope to be ordering my parts on Monday and might if I'm lucky be able to assemble it before I go off on holiday.

All being well which it rarely is, I find! ...I will have a couple of weeks before the deadline of June 29th in which to grab my "Windows 10" download.

I'm really looking forward to it.

• 9. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                          six-h

OK Scott, I've not yet finished reading the links you sent me, but have spent some time looking at the driver packages you listed and understanding what they're for.

Mostly understand which packs I need to download, just a few queries:-

Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver: Confused! which do I need? ...suspect the First and last?

Infrared: ITE Tech* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Windows 8.1 ??

Do I need this, especially since I'm really "just passing through" en-route to "Win 10" and in any case, I don't have  an intel IR Remote control?

Infrared: ITE Tech* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Windows 10 ? again, do I need this?

USB 3.0: Intel® USB 3.0 Host Controller Adaptation Driver for Windows 8.1. presume needed to upgrade "Win 8.1 to 10", ...but what then??

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. Do I need the 0.59 MB pack or the 12.88 MB one?

I suspect this is linked to Scotts use of SSD assisatance to a conventional drive to achieve Hybrid like performance...install it as an option for future use...maybe?

Spent ages following the linked info from each of the above download sites regarding the list of products these packs are valid for, each one for the "Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH", lists a complete package of drivers etc, it took me the best part of an hour to notice that each list is identical!

They just seem to be different to numpties like me because there are minor layout changes which ring alarm bells to we lesser mortals who compare such pages by just "looking at the pictures" as if reading a comic flicking from one to the other to see if any changes catch our eyes! lol

I had gleaned one thing from doing that, regarding USB 3.0; I picked up that there was a driver pack for "Win 7 and 8.1", but none it seems for "Win 10"...so not a complete waste of time!

I'm presuming that I need the "Win 8.1" driver package in order to commune with "Win 8.1" despite the fact that I'm just passing through on my way to "Win 10", but what happens when "Win10" is installed??

Another thought; you said to ignore the "Win 10" drivers already installed by the "Installer", does that mean that it will overwrite the duplicated drivers, rather than having two copies of them?

Also, are you recommending that all drivers even those that are "Win 10" specific, are installed whilst installing "win 8.1"?

Sorry if these questions are silly, just want to understand.

• 10. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                            neily

Not sure if u mis-typed, but you actually have until 29th of JULY to upgrade to WIndows 10 :-)

• 11. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                              six-h

Thanks

Now I can relax a bit, more time to resolve any problems!

• 12. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                                neily

Hi There,

I was thinking about six-h issue, having to install Windows 8.1, load all drivers etc and then upgrade to Windows 10 and then load drivers for that.

But then I cam across this:

Photo Gallery: Windows 10 | Activate using Windows 7/8 Product Keys | SuperSite for Windows

Do you think it means he can bypass the hassle, and do a clean install of windows 10 only?

• 13. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                                  hegenious

Without dishing out $$$ for a fresh Win 10 license, no he can't.

That's why people that have a valid Win7 license go the upgrade way by locking in their digital entitlement with Microsoft.

Once you're on Win10 on the NUC, you're entitlement is valid for the life span of the motherboard.

However, once Win7 is installed and activated, he can go to Win10 directly and spare the hassle of going through Windows8 /8.1

Once you have everything working under Win7, during the upgrade to Win10 and a few hours after that, Windows Update will pull in the necessary Windows 10 drivers automatically.

It's easy as that but also remember:

Windows 7 Starter/Home/Home Premium editions will upgrade to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate editions will give you Windows 10 Pro

EDIT: I must have misunderstood, yes it's possible to DL the official Win 10 from techbench for example, and input a valid win7/8/8.1 key after the install.

• 14. Re: Will someone "Hold my hand" whilst building my first NUC?
                                    Waterbaby

That's what I did when I upgraded my desktop PC. During the initial clean install of Widows 10, I skipped inputting in the license. Then, after the install was complete, I registered the PC with my Windows 8 Pro license. Worked like a champ.

Put it this way. I won't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, he can always go back to clean installing Windows 8.1 and then upgrading. But I don't see a problem going to a clean Windows 10 install. Just remember Home->Home and Pro->Pro.

1 2 3 Previous Next