1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 9:41 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working

cwv

Mine is a 5i3RYH, Win 10, Gorite expansion lid.

Got Win 10 and drivers installed and then installed files and programs. Everything was OK. I clicked to install Classic Shell start menu software and the NUC froze. I restarted and none of the USB ports worked, meaning that now I didnt have a keyboard or mouse with which to control the NUC.

I tried several restarts and varied the ports I tried for only a mouse and was able to start and get to the BIOS. I left the BIOS and thereafter the ports stopped working again and thats the situation now.

I notice that when you begin to plug in (or unplug) a USB device like a mouse or keyboard the screen goes dark and then recovers when the device is finally seated or fully removed.

With no USB support there is no way to do anything. The NUC otherwise starts and comes to the desktop normally.

What to do now?

• 1. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
          cwv

And...if Intel is reading, I created a case for warranty support and when I clicked to submit the case I got this message:

Single Sign-On Error

We can't log you in. Check for an invalid assertion in the SAML Assertion Validator (available in Single Sign-On Settings) or check the login history for failed logins.

• 2. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
            N.Scott.Pearson

I suggest that you try a CMOS reset. You might also try updating to the latest available BIOS via the recovery method.

...S

• 3. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
              cwv

Update.

I dont know which problem im chasing. If Nucs werent Nucs I would say its a Windows problem.

Twice, when the Nuc had sat for a long time and became cold, I tried starting and as the keyboard and mouse were now working I could get to the Bios. Everything working and normal. All 6 USB ports good. I exited the Bios (without changes) and right away the number lock light on the keyboard turns off. The desktop appears normally and the cursor is frozen in the center of the screen. All USB ports are dead.

In the Cooling section of the Bios, temps on the list were between 35 and 48. Fan RPM 3200, and system set to Cool. Nuc doesnt feel hot or anything.

Bios version 0350, production date Dec 2015.

Why would the USB ports, keyboard and mouse work fine for a few minutes in Bios mode and then shut off, and not work in Windows mode? If they were dead, dont they have to stay dead? What happens in this transition from Bios to Windows that causes ports and devices to quit? If the ports and devices are dead, why do they work in Bios mode, they shouldnt, right? What is it about Windows 10 that rejects the ports if the ports worked in Bios mode?

The Nuc had worked for its first two hours without issue. The freeze came when I clicked to accept the Terms and Agreement of the Classic Shell start menu software and had not even clicked "Next" yet. But doing so cant cause a conflict, right? Nothing had been installed yet. But if so, what conflict? Or was it just a coincidence that the ports failed at that moment?

1) If you still suggest an update, how can I do so when I know the ports and control over the Nuc are going to fail in a few minutes? Wont I brick the Nuc if control over it stops in the middle of an update or even reinstall of Windows?

2) Did any updates after 0350 address any issue like this?

3) Is this a hardware, Bios or Windows problem?

4) Im lost.

• 4. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                N.Scott.Pearson

If there is ever a time where the USB devices (especially keyboard and mouse) are not working while in BIOS (i.e. you cannot enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS)), then I would say you have a hardware problem and should contact Intel Customer Support to have your NUC replaced. If you are in Windows and see this problem, immediately reset (or power cycle) and check if the problem continues in BIOS.

You should upgrade to BIOS 355. After doing so, enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and then use F9 to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults. Make any necessary changes (boot order, UEFI, etc.) and then exit with a save. Boot into Windows 10 and see if the issues with USB are resolved. Note that, after booting, it make take a minute or two before the USB keyboard and.mouse devices will actually respond (be patient).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 5. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Thank you N. Scott Pearson for all the useful information.

cwv, have you tested to access Windows 10* with safe mode?, if you are able to do so, I recommend you to install the drivers listed below. Additionally, please do follow N. Scott Pearson's instructions and let us know the results.

Drivers: Download Intel® Management Engine 11 Driver (1.5M) for Intel® NUC

Download Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                    cwv

Ok im straddling two threads, the other one about low power to the USB ports.

A shop reinstalled Win10 and the USB ports worked, except that external 2.5 drives wouldnt start but were seen in Disk Management. At the moment my non-mechanical USB devices are working but there is sporadic performance on external spinning drives since after many attempts I was able to get one single-cable 2.5 drive to startup.

My USB devices are consistent on any computer except NUC. So the hurdle here is to correct that.

Is it still recommended to go to 0355 and the drivers listed above? And by the way is there an order here, like Bios first and drivers second? And by the way is 0355 available or only the latest Bios at any given time?

Thanks in advance.

• 7. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Intel's Customer Support folks will always say only upgrade your BIOS if you need to (i.e. it fixes an issue affecting you). My policy is that you should always install the latest available. Why? Unfortunately, the BIOS sustainers (IMHO) do a crappy job of documenting the issues fixed; many issues are fixed but not mentioned in the release notes. Your only way of truly knowing if your issue is addressed by a later BIOS is to install this BIOS. Yes, there are some occasions where this burns you (a new bug was introduced while fixing others) but this is rare and you can always back up if you have to (touch wood).

How much current is made available on a particular USB connector is decided by hardware (design), not software. If you have port(s) that are not providing enough current, I would be more inclined to look at a hardware problem, not a software problem.

...S

• 8. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you Scott for your input on this, useful as usual.

Regarding the BIOS, to make sure all updates are installed in your system, perform a BIOS recovery on your system to the latest version.

BIOS recovery instructions: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html

Regards,
                        Esteban C

• 9. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                          Intel Corporation

Hello:

I was checking this and wondered if you were able to perform the BIOS recovery in your device.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                            cwv

Hi Scott,

Its always been my policy to keep updated. I only hesitate on NUC because of so many posts about "well i updated the bios and now nothing works! Wheres my frickin HDD?"

Yes I agree....Toshiba would push new BIOS at times and say nothing about whats in it or why. When you have an issue later, did the update cause it or what? Who knows?

Really, after all these upteen thousands of years of computing, there isnt a single software program that can say," Ok here is the issue, THIS is whats exactly wrong and THIS is what you have to do." Nothing! Why? The computer knows whats wrong, that THING failed, but it refuses to tell you?

Power to USB ports is the topic in another thread. I think for a particular issue they have updated the BIOS again. I have to re-read. There is a power management situation going on.

BY THE WAY....i found info about this and took the advice, go into Device Manager and open USB root hubs and on the Power Management tab, uncheck the box "turn off USB ports to save power." Apparently, starting with Win7 Windows would close the ports to save energy but often be unable to turn them back on. This especially affected those upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  Ive done that on three computers including this NUC. Will it help? How would i know?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                              cwv

Esteban, yes I updated to bios 0356 but no change in USB behavior. Im currently updating drivers now.

• 12. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                                Intel Corporation

cwv:

"Really, after all these upteen thousands of years of computing, there isnt a single software program that can say" very true for sure.

If you have updated and recovered to the latest version of the BIOS and drivers are up to date, you alway have the Warranty option, several troubleshooting has been done so there is a chance that you have some faulty ports.

There is support over the phone as well as email that can be found here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@11

I saw that you were having some issues while creating a ticket, please test it with another email account and phone support is available globally as well, that could be an expedited contact platform.

Hope I can hear from you and the outcome on this.

Regards,
                                Esteban C

• 13. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                                  Intel Corporation

cwv:

I just wanted to find out if you were able to get in touch with our support center over the phone.

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

• 14. Re: NUC 5i3RYH No USB ports are working
                                    cwv

Esteban, Im not sure the status. Previously Intel wanted to replace the NUC and I declined because I would have to buy Windows again. I said lets find the way to fix the one I have. Then they wanted to close the case because they didnt want to spend time to troubleshoot. They asked for shipping address and when I gave them my Malaysia address they said they need to refer to Intel in Malaysia. But I already knew from Intel Malaysia that if a NUC is bad it has to be submitted for review at the dealer where I bought it and if they cannot fix it then they send to Intel. This could easily take months to accomplish and what do I do in the meantime? Im getting along with one or two USB ports and I guess I have to accept this. I asked Intel Malaysia for an address I could bring the NUC and they would not give it, again they referred me to the shop where I bought it. If Intel could turn on the NUC themselves we could at least see the problem at once and maybe there is a way to fix it. I certainly do not want a retail shop to play inside the NUC and I dont want to simply replace it because I wont have an operating system. Im not sure what to do.

1 2 3 Previous Next