3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 2:55 PM by Intel Corporation

Audio Streaming

FSchroeder

Hi everyone,

I am stuck with a problem trying to play some audio smoothly on an Intel Edison using a TLV320Aic3107 on a custom board.

Using aplay I can play a wav file perfectly fine, after setting up the Codec via I2C. On kernel log I see opening and and closing of a stream.

kernel: snd_intel_sst: runtime_resume called
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: FW Version 01.09.00.02
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: Build date Jan 14 2014 Time 20:08:46

kernel: snd_intel_sst: Alloc for str 1 pipe 0x90

kernel: snd_intel_sst: Start for str 1 pipe 0x90

kernel: snd_intel_sst: Stop for str 1 pipe 0x90

kernel: snd_intel_sst: Free for str 1 pipe 0x90

kernel: snd_intel_sst: runtime_idle called

kernel: snd_intel_sst: runtime_suspend called

So far so good, but my application includes linphone which uses the library Mediastreamer2: media processing and streaming toolkit - open source sip phone to access the audio interface via ALSA.

What happens now is that playback of a wav file using the library methods produces a stutter in sound and observing the kernel log shows repeated opening and closing of a stream.

kernel: snd_intel_sst: runtime_resume called
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: FW Version 01.09.00.02
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: Build date Jan 14 2014 Time 20:08:46
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: Alloc for str 1 pipe 0x90
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: Free for str 1 pipe 0x90
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: runtime_idle called
      kernel: snd_intel_sst: runtime_suspend called

My demo program is running fine on a connected USB sound card, hence the problem seems to be related to the ALSA driver.

So far I can only guess that the problem is related to ALSA buffer and period sizes - sadly I am not familiar with the internal workings of ALSA. The library tries to achieve a low latency but maybe this conflicts with the Intel Soc dummy audio driver.

What can cause this repeated opening and closing of the stream?

Does someone know what the ideal working value for ALSA period size (snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near) is?

Many thanks

Florian

• 1. Re: Audio Streaming
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi FSchroeder,

I’ve never experienced a stutter using ALSA. After doing some research I found out that this problem is sometimes related to the kernel version used. What image version are you using?

I found a thread with a discussion to a similar issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129990 .The stutter was caused by a byte being written incorrectly. Take a look at the suggestions posted and let us know your results.

Sergio

• 2. Re: Audio Streaming
            FSchroeder

Hello,

some update and information. First, my edison runs on a custom build image using poky 1.7.3 and the meta-intel-edison layer on master as well as the linphone layer (git://git.linphone.org/meta-bc) for the mediastreamer library.

The latest commit (meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform) includes kernel 3.10.98. For testing I switched back to 3.10.17 and the described problem does no longer occur. There are still warnings regarding period sizes, but the audio output is Ok and the SST log messages read as expected.

I have still no clue what actually causes this issue with the 3.10.98 kernel. Further, the wip-edison-3.19.5 branch contains a commit commented with "Overhaul sst for edison hardware" and other audio related changes, so spending too much time on 3.10.98 wouldn't be worth it, I guess.

So, the issue is still open, but for now using 3.10.17 kernel solves my problem.

Best regards

Florian

• 3. Re: Audio Streaming
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I agree, using 3.10.17 seems to be the easiest solution right now.

If you’re interested to learn why it works on a version but not on another you can check the config files for each kernel and look if there’s a change that might cause the stuttering sound. You can find more information here https://github.com/01org/edison-linux/tree/master/arch/x86

Sergio