6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 12:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Can not install drivers

detroydas

I have Intel desktop board series DH61DL and DH61WW classic series. I want to install drivers and other software contained in it but when I open CD, it shows nothing. I think the cd supports maximum windows 7, but my OS is windows 10. How can I install drivers for my computer?

I also want to download latest graphics driver for my computer. How can I do it?

Here is some files and attachment for reference:

Untitled.png

IMG_20160513_204127.jpg

• 1. Re: Can not install drivers
          N.Scott.Pearson

Windows 10 is not supported in Express Installer. In fact, no support for Windows 10 is provided for this board at all. There is the odd Windows 10 driver that you can download from Intel's Download Center and use with your board, but this is hit-and-miss. Microsoft has generic drivers that will work with this board. They will be automatically downloaded and installed by Windows 10. You should not have to do anything.

As for your processor, if it is a 2nd generation processor, there is no support for Windows 10 at all (you are stuck with the generic video driver from Microsoft). If you have a 3rd generation processor, however, Windows 10 support is provided. Here is a link for a driver you can try: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.33]

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Can not install drivers
            detroydas

"Microsoft has generic drivers that will work with this board. They will be automatically downloaded and installed by Windows 10. You should not have to do anything."

How can I come to know that windows 10 has automatically downloaded and installed generic drivers for my board? Are you referring to this file? If yes, how can I resolve it?

1.png

2.png

"As for your processor, if it is a 2nd generation processor, there is no support for Windows 10 at all (you are stuck with the generic video driver from Microsoft). If you have a 3rd generation processor, however, Windows 10 support is provided."

How can I come to know if my processor is 2nd generation processor or 3rd generation processor? What is the difference between 2nd generation processor and 3rd generation processor and how it is related to my question? Where can I find the latest generic video driver from Microsoft? Actually, my monitor is manufactured by DELL which provides

the display resolution to 1366 x 768 (for IN1930) or 1600 x 900 (for IN2030M) (Maximum).

But my computer doesn't show this option. It only provides the display resolution to 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 (Recommended) and 1280 x 1024. Dell says this:

3.png

My computer has this:

4.png

5.png

"Here is a link for a driver you can try: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.33]0"

Setup gives error: This computer does not meet minimum requirement for installing the software. When I checked https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25977/eng/Readme32.txt, it shows the setup supported for 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor family. How can I know that my board comes under 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor family?

• 3. Re: Can not install drivers
              N.Scott.Pearson

This missing driver (PCI Simple Communications Device) is used by software to communicate with the Intel Management Engine (a small microprocessor built into the chipset that is responsible for various initialization, maintenance and security functions for the processor and system). Most folks do not need to install the driver for this interface; it will never be used. If you really, really are bothered by the yellow bang and want to install the driver, you need to install the Management Engine Interface (MEI) software. Here is a link to a version that you can try downloading and installing: Intel® Management Engine 11 Driver.

As I said, the difference between 2nd and 3rd generation processors is that, for Windows 10, only the 3rd generation processor's graphics is natively supported. If you have a 2nd generation processor, you are stuck with the Windows 10 generic (VGA) driver and all of its shortcomings.

If your processor is a Core i3-2xxx, Core i5-2xxx or Core i7-2xxx, you have a 2nd generation Core processor. 3rd generation Core processors will have names Core i3-3xxx, Core i5-3xxx or Core i7-3xxx. There are also some Celeron and Pentium processors that come from these generations, but I am not going to spend time looking up the numbers now. If this is what you have, go to ARK: Your Source for Intel® Product Specifications and look it up. The fact that your attempt to install the graphics driver for third generation processor failed is also a possible (hell, pretty good) indicator that you don't have a 3rd generation processor.

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can not install drivers
                detroydas

I have installed Management Engine Interface (MEI) software and now Device manager is working good i.e. no any yellow bang. I have a 2nd generation processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz. So my processor is not supported for windows 10 at all. I have to check for windows updates if it provide what I want in future for my board. I have installed Intel(R) Driver Update Utility. It also says no driver were detected for your product.

8.png

I have option:

I install windows 7 in PC then install all drivers from CD. After that I upgrade my computer to windows 10. In this way the drivers will be preserved or lost? Is this possible?

By the way, thank you for your help. I came to know good things about my processor or usage of processor.

• 5. Re: Can not install drivers
                  N.Scott.Pearson

IHMO, the Intel Driver Update utility is a few features and a few bug fixes short of a full load (and I am including the server support for it to operate). Bottom line, do not expect it to find any updates for boards/processors this old.

No. Installing Windows 7, updating drivers and then installing Windows 10 accomplishes nothing other than time wasting. All drivers need to be replaced under Windows 10; none will survive (you will end up at the exact same place you did with the from-scratch Windows 10 install).

With the exception of the video driver, most of the generic drivers will do everything that you need. The video driver just plain sucks. If you are going to stick with this board, I suggest you get a NVIDIA or ATI video card to add to it - but be careful, many of the latest generation video cards will not work with boards this old. Find yourself a try-before-buy opportunity if you can...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can not install drivers
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you N. Scott Pearson for enlighten us with these correct answers.

I will be setting up your last answer as correct answer.

detroydas, if any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,
                    Esteban C