1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 12:24 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive

Footprint

Hi people,

I bought the above unit to do some tests with a view to setting it up as an Android machine which I have done on heaps of ordinary PC's just because I could.

For the life of me I can't work out why it isn't seeing the SSD, a Samsung 120 Gb which works in another NUC I recently set up.

This series 5 just doesn't want to play. I have updated the BIOS to 1104 but still nothing.

I have found instances from last year where cables caused an issue but I can't see that still being a problem.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

• 1. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, Footprint:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

In this case, you can try the following:

1. Access the BIOS and load defaults
          2. Check if the SSD is recognized in the BIOS
          3. Check if you have legacy boot enabled (test with both enable and disabled depending on the OS you are installing)
          4. Perform a BIOS recovery to the latest version as of 5/12/2016 it would be: 0053 // https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25922/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=85254

I look forward to hearing from you and the outcome on this.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,
          Esteban C

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
            Footprint

Hi Esteban,

Nope nothing. The bios sees a USB stick if installed, and only sees the LAN if there is no USB installed.

Quite confusing, and yes I did update the BIOS as suggested.

Daemon

• 3. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
              dougho

Samsung drives are usually thin 7mm instead of 9.5mm (thicker).  Since the "H" style NUC cases accept 9.5mm, at least once I mistakenly inserted Samsung SSD at some angle where it did not properly seat into the SATA power/data connector.  When I realized that and removed/re-inserted it worked fine.  As an additional check, the couple tiny screws typically align when I've got it right.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                Intel Corporation

Footprint:

That seems odd, the recommendation from dougho is applicable, if possible test it and let us know.

There is a workaround to find out if the SATA port on the board is faulty or if the cables connected between SSD-Board are the ones faulty, here I added if you have the components you can try it out to continue troubleshooting this.

Components required:

*Full-size desktop Power Supply connected to a system and able to turn on.
                *Desktop SATA cable
                *SSD
                *Your NUC

This is the workaround:

1. Find the SATA port in your board (position can be different because pictures are from different NUC model.

IMG_20160513_145524.jpg

2. Connect a regular size SATA cable to that port.

IMG_20160513_145544.jpg

3. With a PSU from a desktop computer, use the power SATA cable to connect to your SSD, as well as the other end of the SATA cable.

IMG_20160513_145632.jpgIMG_20160513_145654.jpg

4. Make sure the PSU is on (the desktop computer should be turned on).
                5. Turn on the NUC and see if the SSD is recognized.

Please make sure you are properly grounded while doing this to avoid damaging any of the components, touching the PSU while connected to the power outlet should discharge you properly, you can do this different times while doing the task.

I personally tested this and it worked for me, even though it is not fully recommended or an official procedure from Intel.

Regards,
                Esteban C

• 5. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                  Footprint

Okay the problem was the drive was sitting outside the connector and it's now seen, but it isn't booting from the SSD, nor to the SSD after booting awkwardly from a USB flash with Win 10 installation.

I can get it to see the SSD and the USB via the boot menu, select the USB to boot from and it goes to a black screen but does keep a signal to the monitor but the screen remains blank (but on).

Very confusing.

• 6. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                    dougho

I do not have that exact model (I have a similar PPYH) but if you are saying that your monitor goes blank when trying to install Windows 10 (from USB), I would first check if there is a BIOS setting in the Boot section for the OS which has choices like Windows 8.x.  If it is set to Windows 7, change it to Windows 10, or 8.x if there is no 10 choice.  I think what that does is enable UEFI instead of Legacy.  If you are comfortable flashing BIOS and your version is not up to date, consider updating the BIOS.  If your screen still remains blank and you have some different monitor and/or cable you can try, you might try that.  If you get beyond blank monitor problems and reach some point where you think that you can't install to the SSD, I usually pick the Windows choice that says something like custom install (not upgrade) and if there is any partition on the drive then I delete such partition (which means you lose any pre-existing data), until there is just one single unpartitioned space - and that space is where I tell Windows to install.

You say that booting USB flash with Windows 10 installation was awkward, I wonder if there is something wrong with that flash.  It should be fairly easy - you run Microsoft's Windows 10 Media Creation tool and choose the desired 64 or 32-bit, and that should boot fine if you have the correct BIOS Boot settings (perhaps you have some other PC you could try booting it until you get to the first screen).

• 7. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you dougho those are really good suggestions.

Footprint, please let us know how it goes after follwing them.

Regards,
                      Esteban C

• 8. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                        Footprint

Morning people,

I flashed the BIOS originally, so that was already in place.

I created the Win10 media and tested it on another machine and in fact did a complete install of win 10.

I put it in the NUC and it is seen, as is the SSD now, and chose to boot from the USB.

It appeared to begin inasmuch as I got signal to the monitor, but the monitor stayed black, though it had a signal (didn't go to sleep).

Ends..

?

• 9. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                          Intel Corporation

Thank you for your answer Footprint.

I would like to double check if the BIOS recovery method in the link below was performed, I saw you answered it was updated, not recovered.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html

The recovery method will be including all the updates and re-write them in your system's ROM, with the update it only adds the fixes or changes from the last version, for that reason I am double checking which was the procedure performed in the system.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                            Footprint

Thanks Esteban I will have a go at that over the weekend.

Ends

• 11. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you for that answer Footprint.

Please keep me posted on this.

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                                Intel Corporation

Hello Footprint:

I was wondering if you were able to get this tested.

Regards,
                                Esteban C

• 13. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                                  Intel Corporation

Hey, Footprint:

I would like to double check if you were able to test this BIOS recovery recommendation.

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

• 14. Re: NUC5CPYH not seeing a solid state drive
                                    Footprint

Hi Esteban will try and get some time tonight to try it.

D

1 2 Previous Next